Did you upgrade?

Reaction score
I just got into this hobby last October 2015 and opted for a mint condition P2 and added FPV and bought extra batteries, a case, carbon props, etc. So I already put more into it than I expected. I mean it does what I want. It gives me something to fly and I can attach my Gopro 3/4 to shoot footage. Now that the P4 has released it sounds/looks awesome but the price point is outta my bubble. The P3 prices have dropped tremendously but still, I feel like as far as video footage I'd have to get a higher end P3 to match the GoPro4 Black footage. While the P3 may have some slight improvements, not by much from the P2. Would you P2 pilots agree?

Have any of you P2 pilots upgraded at all or stuck with what you have because it satisfies that itch for you already?

When I bought my phantom I was going to buy a p3 but I did not want a built in camera. I didn't want a built in camera because you can never upgrade it to a better quality were as if u have a Gimbel and a Gopro you can keep upgrading your Gopro and gimbal. The Gopro hero 5 is coming out soon and the rumours are its going to shoot 8k.

Reactions: Vinod Kurup
When I bought my phantom I was going to buy a p3 but I did not want a built in camera. I didn't want a built in camera because you can never upgrade it to a better quality were as if u have a Gimbel and a Gopro you can keep upgrading your Gopro and gimbal. The Gopro hero 5 is coming out soon and the rumours are its going to shoot 8k.

Interesting! GoPro need to pull something out the bag fast, and lose the fish eye. The only option for something affordable that's really good is an Inspire with the X5 camera at the moment.

UK

I don't know if they will get rid of the fish eye because people who skateboard or anything like that love to use fish eye.

You always change the lens in your GoPro and no longer have fisheye with a 3.97mm f/2.8 @ 82° lens.

The issue your having here is one I am having - the "ugh I want the new thing but come on mine is great still". And the fact is - it is. The P2 is a great bird and the upgradable GoPro feature is brilliant - which is why DJI STILL SELL THEM! Do you think it's worth anyone (and me) to buy FPV on top tho? Because some people have bird but not extras, like me. They won't move on but don't want to invest too much in past kit. I'm pretty sure I'll buy FPV kit anyway - justification is that my bird is a GoPro rig not a toy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

PS. I decided that next time I do upgrade (years away) it will be the latest inspire or equivalent.

I just changed the settings in my go pro and lost the fish eye and get great video

The GoPro has three settings ultra wide, medium and narrow depending on the resolution you are using. Of course if you want to do away with the fisheye altogether then simply change the lens. Myself I am not a big fan of fisheye and have three cameras 3+ silver with stock lens, 3+ black with 5.4mm lens and a 4 black with 3.97mm lens. Even though lens in two of the cameras have been changed you still have the same three width options depending on resolution. .

it was because of my interest for GoPro's that got me into Phantoms, so i'm sticking with my P2. It does everything i want & now i've got a Hero 4 & recording in 4k its fantastic. I did buy a second P2 to use without a gimbal to keep me spending money lol

IMG_4270_zpscv51n9ht.jpg

Reactions: Vinod Kurup
P fandango, Were did you get the black extended landing gear? And how much was it?

Last edited:
I just got my first drone about a month ago. I have some opportunities to get some work doing aerial video with some producers that I currently do camera work for right now. I went with the P2+ H4-3D because I already have a Hero 3+ Black and a modified Hero 4 Black with an interchangeable lens Ribcage Air kit from Backbone. Plus it was really cheap. I hate the fisheye footage and hoped to use my Ribcage GoPro with the nice 4.2mm f/2.8 lens. I added a wireless video transmitter and went to work. Unfortunately, even though I could perfectly balance the gimbal using counterweights, the added weight of the Ribcage Air (lighter then original Ribcage for drone use) and the counter-weights were too much for the H4-3d. I could not get rid of the gimbal vibration and I tried many things. But I knew I loved flying it and I got some amazing (fisheye corrected) footage with my 3+ Black. The gimbal on the 3dr Solo supposedly handles the Ribcage fine, but they want way to much for a drone with no camera. Even used, the Solo's are going for more than what I paid for a used P3P with 2 batteries. And that has a camera.

So, I recently upgraded to a cheap used P3P and I'm really enjoying the footage. I haven't even messed with any of the autonomous features or Litchi yet. But the video is so much better without the fisheye. If I can turn this into paying work, I figure I'll step up to the Inspire Pro x5 for the interchangeable micro 4/3 lenses and use the P3P as a backup.

I am new to the drone world and recently purchased a P2. I have a GoPro 3 and want to get the whole FPV experience. What is recommended for the rest of the parts to complete the system? I will need a gimball and whatever transmitters are need to send the video back. Any recommendations?

I am new to the drone world and recently purchased a P2. I have a GoPro 3 and want to get the whole FPV experience. What is recommended for the rest of the parts to complete the system? I will need a gimball and whatever transmitters are need to send the video back. Any recommendations?

A full FPV consist of a transmitter, mini iOSD, plug n play cable and a monitor//receiver. Since I will not recommend any one brand over another here are the three leading manufactures of 5.8GHz equipment Boscam, Immersion and Flysight an prices can range from around $250 - $350 depending on what and from whom you buy this equipment.

My suggestion for a gimbal would be the DJI zenmuse H4-3D which is a plug n play gimbal which also supplies power to the GoPro and video from the camera to all the other components..

Do the legs get in the frame with GoPro on wide?

I have two P2s. One has a flysight black mamba 2000mw with an H4-3D and the other has the DJI AVL58 system with a H3-4D. I use a Hero4 black with both and they both have the iosd mini. The black mamba has a Fatshark spironet and the AVL58 has the included cloverleaf.

In terms of video quality transmission, they are about equal back to the monitor.
In regards to installation, the black mamba was easier as you do not need the FPV hub and it is plug and play (including the iosd mini) with the supplied cables.
In regards to value, at $79 from Amazon complete, the AVL58 is way ahead of the black mamba.

I have two P2s. One has a flysight black mamba 2000mw with an H4-3D and the other has the DJI AVL58 system with a H3-4D. I use a Hero4 black with both and they both have the iosd mini. The black mamba has a Fatshark spironet and the AVL58 has the included cloverleaf.

In terms of video quality transmission, they are about equal back to the monitor.
In regards to installation, the black mamba was easier as you do not need the FPV hub and it is plug and play (including the iosd mini) with the supplied cables.
In regards to value, at $79 from Amazon complete, the AVL58 is way ahead of the black mamba.

When I started is over 2 years ago I to used the AVL58 system but not the plug n play HUB instead I hard wire the complete system Later on I went with the immersion 600 mw TX to cut weight and power usage which the AVL TX used a cooling fan and of course weighed more as well.

Yes, this thing needs to go on a serious diet. Tommorow I am going to locate everything inside so the only thing below is the Tx and the Zenmuse. Not sure where I am going to put everything but I am tired of looking at the mess beneath. It would be nice of there was way to get rid of the CAN BUS cable on the iosd. I have seen the solder method to the board in the iosd but it appears to be additional components on the CAN BUS connector.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20