Did You Know....#1(RTH TIP)

I've practiced both RTH and Failsafe landings with my bird and have to agree they sure come in hot. When I see my P3P racing across the sky I think it's going to overshoot the LZ every time! As it approaches "Home" (overhead) it seems to be at full speed, and then suddenly throws out an anchor and within 10 feet is hovering and then descending. Very impressive indeed.

I agree with you it does look like it may be lost as fast as it is at the landing point. But in looking at the .csv file flight data it does actually reduce speed once with in a close point. I believe the RTH is around 20mph.

So has anyone tried doing this yet?

This is a heads up for those that may not know this as I didn't until a few days ago.

Did you know....that when you are in Return To Home mode, while the aircraft is flying back to it's set Home Point, you are able to Yaw the aircraft and gimbal both to any direction while the aircraft continues on it's course to Home Point.
I call it Buddy Mode cause it's like someone else is flying the aircraft for you, allowing you to continue to record or take pic's of whatever. And then it's really cool when you watch it back cause you see things you normally would not pay attention to due controlling the flight.

So the next time you fly out to some distance, after selecting RTH remember you can yaw both the camera and gimbal. Of coarse the gimbal has it's usual limits but the aircraft can be steered in 360 degree's.

If you like this tip select the Like option on the lower right and maybe it will motivate me to post other tips at some point.

Now go try this tip out and come back and share the experience!

You can also counter the RTH process by moving up and down and all around. Not just yawing and panning.

I seen on one of the DJI vids that you can raise throttle too?

Can you share a little more detail on what you saw, or how it's done?

You can actually completely control the craft. You guys should test this stuff so you know how it acts when s* happens. :)

Can you prevent the ascent if you trigger RTH below your failsafe and then maintain a constant lower altitude of your choice without the left stick during the entire automatic return home and without canceling the RTH? If so, then this is a sort of "backdoor" home lock, admittedly welcome news to me ... and thank you for the info!

Prob worth a test run. :)

Last edited:
Thanks.Can you modify the speed of the aircraft during return home?
If so, it will be another flight mode!

It's not another flight mode unless you can also control the altitude during the return and prevent the ascent to failsafe altitude in the first place. Still waiting for an answer on that.

That's what "home lock" was.

I can't imagine you have complete control, otherwise RTH would have no purpose or meaning...up, down, yaw...it does have to directly seek home.

Thanks Frank, like the way you are using the RTH for something different. Shame speed can't be controlled during this phase of flight but still a fantastic post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers