Did Update Trash My P4?

Reaction score
Got a message that my P4 needed an update. I have a windows 8 computer that has DJI Assistant 2 installed. Hooked it into the P4 USB port and started DJI Assistant 2. Signed in to my account, it found the P4 and showed a listing that said an update was available, at the bottom of the screen, so I click on it. It then ask, on top of the screen, if I wanted to roll back to a previous version or update. I choose update. It said downloading, then installing and then failed in red! Tried it several times and finally got a message that it had been updated to version 1.1.410.

Now several things have happened to a perfectly great working P4!
In DJI GO it says "Air Encoder Error" followed by 0x800020, restart and if error reoccurs contact DJI Support
DJI GO says Disconnected, in the upper left corner, and there is absolutely no incoming picture on the screen. I removed the memory card to see if there was something on the log, and found that I could not read anything on the card, it is not recognized by any computer, so no way to read what may be on the card. So I guess my 64GB Micro SD card has been trashed in the process, sure glad I saved the pictures and videos off of it yesterday!

Where did I go wrong! Did exactly what I was told to do, followed by what seems to be a disaster!
Your thoughts and ideas will be appreciated, before I contact DJI for further instructions.

DJI sucks lol, I've learned that over the months. Great product and successful company but support and quality control is trash.

From my experience, never use the shitty Assistant software, use ONLY the LATEST DJI GO app to perform any kind of updates.

Format the card and try to update from the latest version of DJI GO app, see if it'll push through the issues and do a clean update.

I run DJI GO on a 9.7" I-Pad Air 3. Did not realize that you could update the P4 directly from the DJI GO app on the IOS. I just looked and don't see any place to select to update from DJI GO.

So I don't need to worry about the "Air Encoder Error" , what ever that is?

Can you point me to where the Update Click Box it is hiding, in DJI GO IOS, and I will try what you suggest.
Thanks, sure hope that works!

I run DJI GO on a 9.7" I-Pad Air 3. Did not realize that you could update the P4 directly from the DJI GO app on the IOS. I just looked and don't see any place to select to update from DJI GO.

So I don't need to worry about the "Air Encoder Error" , what ever that is?

Can you point me to where the Update Click Box it is hiding, in DJI GO IOS, and I will try what you suggest.
Thanks, sure hope that works!

It won't prompt you to update now, because you already have the latest version. First step - reformat the SD card and then see if it works.

It won't prompt you to update now, because you already have the latest version. First step - reformat the SD card and then see if it works.
Yeah try that. If you can't get the upgrade prompt you'll have to force install the firmware from the crappy assistant, just make sure it's the latest version.

Mine seems to update non stop every single time it opens and it still says it's the same version!!

Yeah try that. If you can't get the upgrade prompt you'll have to force install the firmware from the crappy assistant, just make sure it's the latest version.

Mine seems to update non stop every single time it opens and it still says it's the same version!!

There may be no need to redo the update if the problem is now just a corrupted SD card.

I had to turn the Phantom and RC off 3 times for the updated firmware message to finally appear in DJI Go App.

I just tried several times, after doing a format on the SD card, restarting the P4 and the Ipad, no matter how long I waited, I never get the message about a new version.
I give up for the night, time to call it quits!

Reactions: Jussaguy
I just tried several times, after doing a format on the SD card, restarting the P4 and the Ipad, no matter how long I waited, I never get the message about a new version.
I give up for the night, time to call it quits!

According to your original post you did eventually get the firmware updated to the latest version. If that is the case then you will not get any prompts from the Go app to update. The question now is does the aircraft fly.

Don't forget you can 'refresh' the firmware via the DJI Assistant SW (at least on a PC you can - maybe the apple one is limited?). Incidentally, mine updated 100% first time using the assistant SW.
Changed battery, and that went weird... didn't show progress bar in app, but did do the lights on battery thing and then a low battery warning. Third battery updated correctly with progress bar.

Not 100% sure (as it flashed up on screen then disappeared) but think that a 98% battery gave me a 'low battery' error when I switched on later that day. I've not flown her yet, very windy here today.

Hoping that it's fixed a few issues - really hoping! lol

Had many of the same things happening as noted above by different users.
Lots of ideas from DJI Service to try, nothing has worked.
So today I received an RMA number and prepaid UPS shipping label, it is on the way to CA for repair.

Hopefully in 2 weeks or less it will be back where it belongs. Never will find out what happened with the update, unless they give me some feedback on the repair.

Will update the group after it comes back home. Only been gone a few hours and I really miss it already!

Had many of the same things happening as noted above by different users.
Lots of ideas from DJI Service to try, nothing has worked.
So today I received an RMA number and prepaid UPS shipping label, it is on the way to CA for repair.

Hopefully in 2 weeks or less it will be back where it belongs. Never will find out what happened with the update, unless they give me some feedback on the repair.

Will update the group after it comes back home. Only been gone a few hours and I really miss it already!

Why didnt you try downgrading the firmware?

Because of all the problems that developed with the update, Air Encoder Error, no video from the P4, destroyed 64GB memory card, unable to upgrade or downgrade, tried it all. (All in my initial post)
Did lots of tests for DJI Service, they determined that there was nothing further that I could do on this end, had to go back for service.

Format the card and try to update from the latest version of DJI GO app, see if it'll push through the issues and do a clean update.
There may be no need to redo the update if the problem is now just a corrupted SD card.
Because of all the problems that developed with the update, Air Encoder Error, no video from the P4, destroyed 64GB memory card, unable to upgrade or downgrade, tried it all. (All in my initial post)
Did lots of tests for DJI Service, they determined that there was nothing further that I could do on this end, had to go back for service.

All you guys are implying an SD card is used to install firmware into a Phantom 4. Did something change? I thought all firmware updates for P4 craft had to be performed via USB cable, from the tablet using the Go app.

I would never trust Digital Assistant 2 from DJI to do this firmware update. That PC app is very flaky. I'm not sure about the Mac version.

Last edited:
All you guys are implying an SD card is used to install firmware into a Phantom 4. Did something change? I thought all firmware updates for P4 craft had to be performed via USB cable, from the tablet using the Go app.

I would never trust Digital Assistant 2 from DJI to do this firmware update. That PC app is very flaky. I'm not sure about the Mac version.

That wasn't what I meant - I was just suggesting that it was possible that the update had completed and that a corrupted SD card was preventing the aircraft from working. It seemed wise to reformat the card and then try to determine the status of the firmware.

The Mac version is a complete pile of crap LOL. It tells me it's updating every time I open it and then it never updates and is always on the same version number. I can open it 10 times in 10 minutes and it updates 10 times.

The SD card format was suggested just in case it's corrupted and is somehow affecting the aircraft, unlikely, but better be on the side of caution.

The Mac version is a complete pile of crap LOL. It tells me it's updating every time I open it and then it never updates and is always on the same version number. I can open it 10 times in 10 minutes and it updates 10 times.

The SD card format was suggested just in case it's corrupted and is somehow affecting the aircraft, unlikely, but better be on the side of caution.
I get the same results here on my brand new Mac. Seems like it's something to do with the added android driver. Android? Umm. Although I can still calibrate the sensors. It just downloads the update but never installs. I still think it's some driver issue. I still prefer the Go app method.

Hi guys, something happened with my SD card during the first time I attempted the update. I have never had an SD card that you could not read and reformat with the SDFormat program. This card when inserted into any computer, in the SD Card Holder, gets hot almost immediately. My conclusion is that the card somehow became shorted out and failed. And no, another SD card did not help the updating!

DJI Service did not come out an say it, but kind of hinted that the "Air Encoder Error 0x800020" was an indicator of an internal hardware failure. I have searched for information on what it means but there is really not much out there that i have found so far. That error message appeared when I brought up the "Overall Status" screen from DJI GO.

So I guess I really don't know if the DJI Assistant program was even working at all. Could be that the Air Encoder Error was just messing up the whole process, and no matter what I tried it was not going to update properly, even thought it seemed to complete the process.

Also keep in mind that I said that there was intermittent video from the camera, and after a minute or so the screen would not show any picture at all, just go blank. And the last thing, DJI GO says DISCONNECTED in the upper left corner of the screen.

ALL THIS INFORMATION WAS AT THE TOP OF MY ORIGINAL POSTING! ! So, all the speculation being made by you guys about DJI Assistant, SD Card problems, etc... is just exactly that, speculation! The only real factual information here is what I have stated above.

If I do get any factual information back from DJI, I will post it here after I get the P4 back from service.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.