Did They Fix The P4 Bugs? Is P3 still the better deal all things considered?

Reaction score
So I have a P3 Advanced and my friend has a P4 and we were doing test flights. I noticed my FPV signal seemed more reliable than his. I'm using mine for business applications and was thinking of buying a P4 (use my P3A as a backup) and went to Amazon of course (due to their good return policy) and was surprised to see the average rating on the P4 was 3.5 stars so I started reading the reviews.

Seems a lot of the 1-star reviews had to do with the battery not charging out of the box which understandable would piss a lot of anxious to fly people off. But that's just one of many aspects of the entire package so I discounted a lot of those 1-star reviews as over-emotional responses.

Then there was the issue with the video signal range seemingly not up to par compared to the P3A/P3P. I see there is a thread here discussing that issue. I have no need to fly the thing more than 1000m out but obviously this sounds like a real issue. Kind of ridiculous the newer more expensive model is taken a small step backwards?

Finally, there's the reports on Amazon reviews, many of them still within the last 30 days that the things randomly went crazy and crashed. I think at least one person got a replacement from DJI but based on their overall poor reputation for customer service, I can't imagine what a pain in the *** and how long that might take. At first glance of the first few pages of threads here I didn't find one or more threads complaining about the thing going berzerk but maybe I missed them or did Amazon just sell a bad batch of these? The app won't let you fly unless the Phantom's firmware is the latest release, right? So seems those reports should be going away?

I know most people want the "latest and greatest" (including myself) but after taking a more objective look at this my gut is telling me it's "safer" (and a lot cheaper) to stick with the P3A/P for now?

and was surprised to see the average rating on the P4 was 3.5 stars so I started reading the reviews.
Online reviews are always skewed toward complaints.
Happy customers are more likely to say nothing and some percentage of these complaining have caused their own problems but that won't come through in their rating.
A lot of flyers here have excellent results with their P4.

If I was using a P3 commercially and wanted a backup, I'd put a lot of value on having compatible batteries and charger rather than mixing things up.
Two P3s or two P4s would be a better package than one of each.

There is no comparison. The P4 is much more refined and mature.

The P3 platform is showing its age.

I've said this before and I'll use my anecdotal experience again.

I sold almost 300 batteries over eBay that were genuine, brand new DJI OEM bats and didn't have a SINGLE one returned for being DOA.

So it is my belief that the ones that are DOA have either been sitting around forever or are not new OEMs.

Statistically, near 300 batteries is way more than enough for a scientific sample.

To the OP, the P3 remote does indeed have a stronger signal. The P4 to me is a better machine though with a slightly better image on the camera.

I would definitely up it from a P3A, just to get the 4K even if you are delivering 1080 because 4K downrezzed to 1080 does look better.

Personal choice I suppose.

I sold my P3P for the P4 and never looked back. Best decision. I sacrificed a little on range sure, with the lower wattage on the remote. But the features of the P4 are incredible. Fly with confidence. The obstacle avoidance is wonderful, especially on follow me mode or active track.

My video was much better with the P4 then I have ever made with my P3P. Crisp and rich 4K.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers