Did I Make a Mistake Newbie?

J

James Wellman

Hello all. I just purchased a P3 Pro that's due to arrive later this week. I was smitten with what a P2 owner was telling me about how much fun he has; going out with the kids, photographing around the lake, follow-me feature....blah, blah, blah.
I asked him if he had any negative comments from others or regulatory problems and he said " not at all" just use good sense; stay way from crowds, areas where privacy is expected, military bases and airports, don't buzz Bison at Yellowstone... No problem. I'm more into the photography from a little different angle thing.
Waiting for my toy to arrive, I've read some pretty unsettling issues with park rangers, city officials and politicians trying to ban their use.
Guess my question is: Am I going to be able to fly this critter anywhere other than my backyard and driveway?
I live in Kent WA. Any nearby organizations?
One final question. Is my Note 4 going be a good monitor or should I shell out for an iPad mini 4? What advantage is having it hooked up to a cell network?
Hey, I'm doing something right. Found you folks right?

Ever Forward. Jim

Hello all. I just purchased a P3 Pro that's due to arrive later this week. I was smitten with what a P2 owner was telling me about how much fun he has; going out with the kids, photographing around the lake, follow-me feature....blah, blah, blah.
I asked him if he had any negative comments from others or regulatory problems and he said " not at all" just use good sense; stay way from crowds, areas where privacy is expected, military bases and airports, don't buzz Bison at Yellowstone... No problem. I'm more into the photography from a little different angle thing.
Waiting for my toy to arrive, I've read some pretty unsettling issues with park rangers, city officials and politicians trying to ban their use.
Guess my question is: Am I going to be able to fly this critter anywhere other than my backyard and driveway?
One final question. Is my Note 4 going be a good monitor or should I shell out for an iPad mini 4? What advantage is having it hooked up to a cell network?

Ever Forward. Jim

You'll find plenty of places to fly... Yes there are places that are banning them... But they are relatively few and far between. In most cases if you're polite and ask for permission... People will let you fly.

Don't know much about the note 4. Just know apple products work very well with the P3

Good luck and fly safe.

Reactions: James Wellman
Many people say that samsung screens are easier to see in sunlight. I use a Galaxy S5 and it is very good. The Note 4 will be even better. I am going to get a Note 5 next.
Thanks. What are the advantages of having a cell connection in addition to wifi?

"JW"
-
My Samsung Note 3 works fine ...
Try your Note 4 before you go out and get something else!

Lol no idea I always put my phone into aircraft mode so I don't get any annoying phone calls.
Never causes me any problems.
I am sure there are lots of extra features that need a connection though.
Having said that I often fly in areas with no signal anyway.

Lol no idea I always put my phone into aircraft mode so I don't get any annoying phone calls.
Never causes me any problems.
I am sure there are lots of extra features that need a connection though.
Having said that I often fly in areas with no signal anyway.
Thanks. I'm getting pumped again about getting the drone.

Thanks. I'm getting pumped again about getting the drone.

Good it is awesome. I have been flying RC since I was 14 - flown full size as well - and yet every time I see the P3 sitting in the sky rock solid in gusting 25mph winds I am still astonished!!!
It is far far better than I ever expected.
The range is fantastic. I have flown mine 1.66 miles away so far totally standard.
Just fly it and enjoy.

I have a Note 3 and a Galaxy S6....both worked ok but I would periodically lose connection. Scared the heck out of me but it would come back home. Just make sure you close any running programs on your phone and put it in airplane mode. I decided to buy an iPad mini 4 and it works GREAT with that.

I have a Note 3 and a Galaxy S6....both worked ok but I would periodically lose connection. Scared the heck out of me but it would come back home. Just make sure you close any running programs on your phone and put it in airplane mode. I decided to buy an iPad mini 4 and it works GREAT with that.
Did you get the cell plan with it or just wifi?

Ever Forward. Jim

Whenever I fly in places with people in close proximity, especially old folks, I'll inform them of what I'm gonna do and tell them explicitly that I'm not interested in filming them(in a polite manner of course)

Once you get that out of the way and no one violently objects to what you are doing, you should be pretty safe.

After all, police or park rangers can't be everywhere, and the reason they are called in is when other people inform them.

So if no one informs them, they won't appear.

Note 4 is excellent, I prefer it to the ipad air 3 and there's no lag at all...

Using an iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular here, with my Phantom 3 Pro'. It's fantastic. Works just like it should, with no problems or concerns, to speak of. Mine never even gets warm, Comparing it to the original purchase, an iPad Mini 3. Which got very hot, after only one intelligent flight battery, worth of quality air time.
By the way, as of yet, there are no iPad Air 3's available for us eager consumers, to camp outside their nearest Apple Store, wanting to be first in the line. When it does arrive on the Apple store tables, I will have a 128GB Cellular one, for my current bird, and perhaps a future Phantom as well. Apple stores carry @dji Merchandise now. One of the biggest benefits for us Phantom Pilots with having a Cellular iPad, it has GPS built in, which you will need if you want to utilize Follow Me, or to change your current Home Point to where ever you are with the radio controller. No cellular plans are necessary. You can easily cache your flying area maps, while at home.

RedHotPoker

Ever Forward. Jim

James, I use my Note 4 as well as my iPad mini 2.

They both work well but find my ipad working better due to the larger screen.

Thanks. What are the advantages of having a cell connection in addition to wifi?
If you are flying with an Android tablet, there's no advantage in a cell connection.
Apple users have to get the cellular capable Ipad to get GPS but your Samsung tablet will have GPS like most Android tablets.

Hey!

Your going to love the Phantom 3, so stop second guessing yourself!

I am nowhere near you in terms of location, but I can tell you that I have had zero issues flying mine around, albeit, I am a little bit of a newb as well and only have a few hours of flight time.

When I live was have CO's (conservation officers). While recently taking some pictures near a lake, I had one stop. He said "that's cool!" and didn't bother me much.

Also had a local sheriff stop and give me a thumbs up.

Generally, the most I've been bothered is by people insisting on asking me questions on how it works, what it looks like, etc

Hopefully we wont all be punished for the dumb moves of a handful of people!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj