Did I make a mistake - ESC paranoia?

Reaction score
Well,
I purchased my phantom vision+ version 3.0 back on December 15th from BH photo. I had no problem updating my firmware, setting up the phantom and flying it successfully about 10 times. No issues, no crashes, no flyaways etc..... Well then the weather made a turn for the worst and I found myself being consumed by reading about the ESC's, upgraded wife's etc. After reading about all this, I opened my V2+ V3.0 to find that I had no 2.1 ESCs and a standard wifi.... I got so paranoid that because I don't have the up to date version of all the hardware I sent my phantom back to BH photo today for an exchange. So now I a am phantom free for likely 10 days and it got me wondering, is it really going to be worth it? What if I get a model that has 2.0 ESCs? will I still be paranoid? Or if I get one that has 2.1 ESCs and has another issue.. Now I am so concerned that the new one I get won't have the updates and it will make me just want to return it and get my cash back....Maybe I should have just kept the horse I had, not read into all this and waited until I had a problem....

All this strum and drum is making everyone crazy and it could be remedied so easy by DJI if they just came correct. Right Adam?..(Oh No, did
I say something again to criticize the great DJI....? and now you are going to ban me?) I still can't figure out why my V3 does not have ANY markings not he ESC, so you know what? I'm just going to fly and see what happens. Maybe you should do the same.

Sounds like you have " Trade in Remorse" and time will tell if it was a good option. If the second unit comes in and works fine you will feel you made the right choice. If the second unit comes in and eventually you have problems you will feel you made the wrong choice. It's out of your hands at this point so why second guess yourself and worry. I have hobbies much more expensive than quad flying and have learned to keep them just that....hobbies.

Prylar Bek said:
All this strum and drum is making everyone crazy and it could be remedied so easy by DJI if they just came correct. I'm just going to fly and see what happens. Maybe you should do the same.

At this point I am of the same opinion. Just going to make sure it isn't flow too close to anyone or anything that can cause injury or damage. I does piss me off that there is NOTHING from DJI about this. At LEAST an email or something to say, "Hey, we are looking at this!" Something.

They have our info, I've got an account on their site, have both P2V+'s registered so they know what I have, but have heard nothing from them about any of the issues that have been noted here, on other forums, and even their own forums!

Just gonna fly and if it crashes due to a faulty ESC, back in the box it goes with nice letter, not that they'll read it.....

Couchie said:
Prylar Bek said:
All this strum and drum is making everyone crazy and it could be remedied so easy by DJI if they just came correct. I'm just going to fly and see what happens. Maybe you should do the same.

At this point I am of the same opinion. Just going to make sure it isn't flow too close to anyone or anything that can cause injury or damage. I does piss me off that there is NOTHING from DJI about this. At LEAST an email or something to say, "Hey, we are looking at this!" Something.

They have our info, I've got an account on their site, have both P2V+'s registered so they know what I have, but have heard nothing from them about any of the issues that have been noted here, on other forums, and even their own forums!

Just gonna fly and if it crashes due to a faulty ESC, back in the box it goes with nice letter, not that they'll read it.....

Problem is that if we all "just fly it" and it crashes due to poor quality control, miss-matched parts or whatever you are on the hook for it. Buying anything from DJI seems to be like buying off Craigslist. Once the money changes hands, you are on your own. Personally its not the cost of the quad that I am worried about rather I'm super concerned that a quad, under my "control" crashes and causes property damage or injures someone.

I'd rather postpone my drone addiction until DJI - or someone else - can get these things to work more reliably.

I agree safety is really my concern but even when I used to fly RC helicopters there was always a potential for the crash caused by multiple different failures. I know when flying before I had a couple speed controler issues that caused helicopter to crash as well so I guess this really is no different.but like you say it would be nice if DJI would make some concessions at least make people feel at ease about the product they are selling.

catchingchrome said:
I agree safety is really my concern but even when I used to fly RC helicopters there was always a potential for the crash caused by multiple different failures. I know when flying before I had a couple speed controler issues that caused helicopter to crash as well so I guess this really is no different.but like you say it would be nice if DJI would make some concessions at least make people feel at ease about the product they are selling.

An impossible scenario, I know. But if everyone stopped buying DJI Phantoms and parts for a while, maybe they'd be inclined to re-think the entire machine instead of adding these stupid after thoughts like the 'new improved compass'. It's just the old compass covered in plastic!?

catchingchrome said:

There has been several of us that has had to suffer with having a demolished quad, and even worse not having a quad we can fly. If I was lucky enough to be in your shoes with being able to send my quad back in order to receive the one with the correct parts. I would open up the one you are currently waiting on once you have it. And if it doesn't have the parts you think it should have, then get a refund. Then purchase a new V3 from the factory, or a dealer that guarantees it to have the right parts. You will then have no worries and can finally get to enjoy your quad.

I used to fly RC helicopters.
One of the hard lessons I learned was preflight,preflight,preflight, then preflight. Once you launch, your committed to the configuration. If your the least bit suspicious about your ESCs then pop the top every few flights and look for symptoms, melted wire, goo on the mosfets, feel the all of the arms and motors after every flight.
If its all normal, just fly on.
As to the wife thing, can't say much but pop the top may not be a bad start there either...

IF anyone doesn't have the right ESC.... you could just buy them... for like what.. 4 x 30$ ?
Sure it sucks having to fork out more money... or maybe demand your supplier give them for free...

Alternativly.... buy the original motors and slap them in... really no huge gains between the 2 motors (new and old).. The extra 100g lifting power per motor isn't noticable... The new motors are abit quieter.. but if you ask me, the 9450 props made a bigger diff to performance than the new motors did.. on my V2 anyways.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub