Diagonal Dive Bombs

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have had an issue that had happened with my original phantom and now my phantom 2 vision plus and wondering if anyone else had something similar happen or there is a thread on this forum that may help.

With my original phantom I had a good gps signal and took and at a height of around 30 - 40 meters and the drone was behaving erratically almost as if it was flying itself. I tried to take over and switched to manual ATTI but could to regain control and the drone took a diagonal dive bomb at full speed.

With my vision plus again I had gps and started a way point mission. The drone started out going in the opposite direction to the first way point as it got to around 40 meters in altitude I tried to take control in manual and switched to ATTI but again my drone took a diagonal dive bomb in random direction. This was after doing at 5 or more successful missions with no issues.

In both cases destroyed my gimbals and cameras. At this stage I am hoping I can repair my vision plus with a new gimbal.

Any advise would be great appreciated.

There is a difference between Atti and Manual.

In Atti mode, the GPS is switched off, but the Naza will maintain altitude and remain level.
Switch to manual and you have to keep the bird level as well as fly it! This is much more like flying a conventional R/C helicopter, where you have to reverse the stick position to return to stable flight. Therefore, using let's say a load of right stick, the quad will tip to the right, then start to fly in this direction. If you so not then return the stick to the centre position, it will continue to tip more and more and eventually run out of lift and crash. It takes a fair amount of practice to fly like this and took me a good month to learn on my FP Helicopter.

My guess is that you had either some high winds, IMU or compass calibration issues or some serious interference. I would also hazard a guess that you switched to manual mode? Have you set the switch position to Manual instead of RTH?

Thanks very much for the message. To be honest I am not sure how I have had my switch set up re RTH / manual. In both cases I flicked the right hand lever to the bottom position. When I have tested this position in normal situations the bird remained level but drifted as opposed to GPS where it holds position. It's possible that I switched to manual position by what you have described as I didn't return the sticks to the center position. I guess I will just have to go back to basics and start again...again.

In the 2nd case I had some moderate winds but in the first case no wind. The compass was calibrated in both cases .... Anyways thanks again and if I work out what the issue was/is I will update this thread. Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20