Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Diagnosis please?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by CallMeAlan, Aug 24, 2014.

1. CallMeAlan

My first oddity today after 20+ successful flights.

This was a distance from where I last flew so I compass calibrated. No probs, all green. Waited for GPS, waited, waited. Phone said 0 satellites, on a bright almost cloudless day. Picked up the Phantom to peer underneath at the lights - as I tilted it to have a look the steady green lights went to orange. This time it took 2 tries to calibrate. But then still no satellites. I switched everything off and started again. Same story. I didn't dare fly.

What illness could this be do you think? I should add that I always get 8 or 9 satellites at this wide open location with no metal for hundreds of yards.

2. ProfessorStein

You're absolutely POSITIVE that the compass calibration completed? Actually sounds like it was waiting for you to do the second half of the "dance".

3. Stealthdude

I had a similar problem, the app was telling me I needed a compass calibration, done the calibration then as soon as I put the phantom down it asked for the calibration again. Tried in a different location and it worked fine. Realised every time I put the phantom on a specific location (a wall) it asked for calibration so I assumed there may have been a lot of metal in the wall affecting the compass. Maybe there's a lot of unseen metal where you were placing the phantom.

4. CallMeAlan

Professor, yes, positive. My criterion for a successful 'dance' is when the lights go green at exactly degree 360 in the first revolution. Then I always do the second, nose down part, but there is no indication from the lights that anything else registered. As for location and metal, I was on Greenham Common, former US airbase, at a point where, before the base was returned to the people, it was just tarmac aircraft parking. And I've flown from that position before without a prob. But, question, even if the dance didn't work fully correctly, would that fact alone cause me to get zero satellites?

5. Stealthdude

Sorry, I forget to add that every time it asked for the calibration the satellite count went to zero.

6. Electric Warrior

What date was this on? I noticed that during the last week the K Index went up to 6 which I believe is high enough that you will not get a good satellite fix and should not fly. I may be wrong but that is how I understand it. I'm on south coast UK.