Dex vs Phantom

Reaction score
Building a new quad in a Dex shell. It will have DJI E300 motors and ESC's. The flight controller will be a Vector by Eagle tree with GPS and color OSD. It will have 600 mw vtx and a small FPV camera. It will carry the GoPro Hero 3+ in an underwater housing. Later I may add a waterproof gimbal.
The main purpose for this quad will be aerial photography over whitewater. It is totally waterproof and it floats.
Here is a size comparison with the Phantom:

Attachments

• Dex vs Phantom.jpg
    Dex vs Phantom.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 1,070
You will be the only one that can deliver that walkie talkie or pfd to the guy who needs it. Go for it! Good luck....

jimandsue60 said:
Can you tell me about the waterproof gimbal?
I plan to modify a gimbal to carry the GoPro in it's underwater housing. I will coat the gimbal electronics to keep water out. The motors will be fine in fresh water. I will modify the GoPro housing to add an FPV connector and to lighten it up.
Are you still flying your Dex?

syotr said:
jimandsue60 said:
Can you tell me about the waterproof gimbal?
I plan to modify a gimbal to carry the GoPro in it's underwater housing. I will coat the gimbal electronics to keep water out. The motors will be fine in fresh water. I will modify the GoPro housing to add an FPV connector and to lighten it up.
Are you still flying your Dex?

I got busy with other things in life but am getting back into the Dex. Mostly because my Phantom 1 took a salt water immersion in the Atlantic Ocean last week, everything but the motors were trashed. I should have the Dex flying today if the wind is not blowing to much here in South Florida. We were in the Florida Keys last week and I really enjoyed the photos I got over the water. I will watch your progress with your Dex. I am in the boat in the center bottom of the photo, these photos were 5 miles offshore!

5367651_orig.jpg

7355611_orig.jpg

"Why did it take a swim? Awesome photos!"

I have a battery that shows that all cells are fine then when it gets to 85% the Phantom thinks it has no charge left then auto lands. It has happened twice with that battery, at first I thought it was a fluke but the second time it happened I was over water.

Amazing water clarity. Did you use any filters? I found wind was a constant problem in the Keys in Winter, but I still flew but did not swim.

Yaw Master said:
Amazing water clarity. Did you use any filters? I found wind was a constant problem in the Keys in Winter, but I still flew but did not swim.

I did not use any filters.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31