Devastating Phantom 3A crash

Reaction score
Phantom feel out of sky during decent from 295 feet to 90 feet. Although I hate to admit this it was pilot error, I was using a battery that had been compromised and I really should have known better.
233.JPG
235.JPG
236.JPG
237.JPG
238.JPG
234.JPG

I did not have such a serious crash but I did broke my gimbal arm the same way (not breaking the camera) and had it repaired by DJI for less than 200$.
For the shell, not sure how you'll get it fixed...
All my sympathy... I have been through this.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437234228.041836.jpg

I believe that the battery ran out of juice in mid flight, however the indication I had on my app showed I still had 9 minutes left.

After looking at the flight records the battery indicated 9 min of batter life left according to the green bar thingy, throughout the entire flight and never once moved staying at 9 min from start of flight until the catastrophic crash.

In a previous post I talked about another crash in which this particular battery got wet. I thought it had dried out and after doing some low to ground flying I was satisfied that this battery might be OK, at this point I ascended to 295 feet hovered for a few minutes and then started the descend at 90 feet my little dove feel out of the sky, still feel sick to my stomach.

Long story short if your battery gets wet trash it.
I think it will cost more to repair then to buy a new one.

Very depressing, not sure what to do now :(

The battery compartment is so mangled up that I can not fit a battery into it, and there is something inside the drone that is rattling so something inside broke off.

As you can see in the picture above the battery came out during impact, I don't believe it came undone during flight. I believe the battery completely discharged during flight.

Phantom feel out of sky during decent from 295 feet to 90 feet. Although I hate to admit this it was pilot error, I was using a battery that had been compromised and I really should have known better.View attachment 25163 View attachment 25165 View attachment 25166 View attachment 25167 View attachment 25168 View attachment 25164
Sorry to hear that you lost your Phantom :( sometimes lessons are hard learned:confused:-- believe me, all of us have been there-- at one time or another and if anyone denies that, they are probably not telling the truth.
Jump back in there and get another. Hope you get back in the air soon!

Sorry we all feal that pain. But know that all is not lost. You may be able to rebuild her. May not be today but the new shells will be a available in the next few months and you can find out what is salvageable. Looks like she hit the grass in the crash so that may have prevented more damage. Was yours the advanced or the pro that will also determine costs in rebuilding as to worth it or not.

Yeah, stay positive. I'm in the same boat, although less overall damage. (see this thread for my bird brained crash: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-did-you-crash.48630/#post-456586
I've pre-ordered a new shell for just over $80 CAD, and they're saying they'll be shipping in about ten days, but to EXPECT DELAYS. Ohhhh, there's a shocker! I'll try to jury rig the bent arm somehow, just to test the electronics, as it's not really something I can do from the ground.
If you DO decide to rebuild, consider spending the extra to upgrade the camera to 4K, and you'll have a shiny new P3P!
BTW, anybody know if there's a P3 assembly manual out there? Or am I going to have to call Dr. Phantomstein to help me put this thing back together when the new shell arrives?

As you open take lost of photos and make yourself wiring diadrams where you unplug cables and even tag them. You can even write down the order of disassemble so you can reverse it to re assemble. If you take your time and watch what you are doing and document you'll be ok. You ought to be able to change here out shel to shell in a couple of hours. Remember photos are worth a thousand words. Good luck!

Reactions: wordsmith
I never take off with less than a fully charged battery. Why would anyone?

Reactions: iAm

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl