Desert Test Flight

Reaction score
After a week of being grounded due to high winds, I was finally able to take the Phantom 4 out to my favorite spot in the desert (west of El Paso, Texas) for a proper test flight. I was especially eager to try out the Active Track feature in an area with very few tall objects/obstructions. I was rather pleased that the P4 performed like a champ.

Looks good man. Were you in that vehicle as you were active tracking it?

One cool thing I like doing while active tracking is going left or right to rotate around the object getting a 360 view of it. Active track feature is on point!

I was rather pleased that the P4 performed like a champ.

Great to hear - so that was "active track" following your Jeep? Pretty wild!

What a great spot to fly - and work on perfecting same. Nothing like that where I live that's so wide open (other than Lake Ontario - lol).

Very nice job - keep on flying and filming safely.

Looks good man. Were you in that vehicle as you were active tracking it?

One cool thing I like doing while active tracking is going left or right to rotate around the object getting a 360 view of it. Active track feature is on point!
Yep, I was driving; had the RC in the passenger seat.

Great to hear - so that was "active track" following your Jeep? Pretty wild!

What a great spot to fly - and work on perfecting same. Nothing like that where I live that's so wide open (other than Lake Ontario - lol).

Very nice job - keep on flying and filming safely.
Yep. I started out at a pretty low speed and gradually increased when I was sure the P4 could keep up. I wasn't much of a fan of the desert growing up, but ever since I started flying it's become the best place to go and just get away. :D

Just took my 4 out today flew it in P mode and all flights were flawless except one. This was my first flight and the only problem is that I became disconnected for a few seconds and the drone took off climbing like hell. I hit the return home button and home she came.
My question as a newbee, what should you do when the connection fails? I was a bit apprehensive as this was our first day with the 4 and we did move to a slight closer to the housing complexes here in Vegas on our second rounds of flights.
Just would like to know what works best if this happens again.
Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just took my 4 out today flew it in P mode and all flights were flawless except one. This was my first flight and the only problem is that I became disconnected for a few seconds and the drone took off climbing like hell. I hit the return home button and home she came.
My question as a newbee, what should you do when the connection fails? I was a bit apprehensive as this was our first day with the 4 and we did move to a slight closer to the housing complexes here in Vegas on our second rounds of flights.
Just would like to know what works best if this happens again.
Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Just make sure to enable the option to RTH in the DJI Go app if you lose connection between the RC and the aircraft. I set my maximum altitude at 200ft and my maximum distance at 500ft...always keeping visual LOS. I rarely fly much further than that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie