Desert Footage - What to pack

Reaction score
Hi all,

In two months I am going on an expedition from Astana, Kazakhstan to the Aral Sea and back along the Silk road. This is happening over a period of several days. I have a phantom 3 standard and thought it would be a great way to get some interesting photos along the way. I will also be taking my DSLR but I was wondering what sort of accessories I should be packing to take with me & any tips that one would recommend when flying in the desert.

Are the 3rd party car Chargers any good? I will be travelling in a modified Nissan patrol y61 Safari if that makes any difference.

I was wondering what sort of accessories I should be packing to take with me & any tips that one would recommend when flying in the desert.

Most of my flights are in the New Mexico desert in sandy or dusty areas. I do a compass cal if required, then launch my P3S off the hood of my 4WD vehicle to not kick up a cloud of dirt to protect the motors. No problems. I also hand catch. Launching or landing on the loose desert ground can kick up a surprising amount of sand or fine powdery dirt you want to keep out of the motors. Also recommend a set of spare blades and a couple of extra batteries. Other than that, nothing special.

You will find desert flying nice. You're in the middle of nowhere with no or little chance of wifi interference. I always get good range (6,000 ft. or so) which I attribute to the dry conditions and usually very good visibility. The flat desert looks completely different from 150 feet, often finding trails, old foundations, etc. Have fun and enjoy your trip and flights.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20