Descending/motor shut down

Reaction score
Hi. First post. I have searched for this but unable to find answer. :? This is my question. You can switch off the motors by holding the left stick down for approx 5 seconds, will this happen in flight while at hight and I want to bring the phantom 2 lower quickly. I'm a bit hesitant to pull the stick back all the way just in case. Thanks.

descending rapidly will cause you problems , its not a good idea . and ya if you hold the stick down it might shut down the engines .

jodaddy23 said:
descending rapidly will cause you problems , its not a good idea . and ya if you hold the stick down it might shut down the engines .
Thanks, I understand descending rapidly will cause problems if coming down at one point. What if I was say 100m up and moving and held the stick back to come down, would the motors turn off or would they continue. Does the phantom detect when it touches the ground (no further downward movement) before switch off is enabled?

Awbro said:
Does the phantom detect when it touches the ground (no further downward movement) before switch off is enabled?

Good god I would hope so!! If I was programming the thing that's what I would do. I notice the props slow way down as soon as it hits the ground. So it must know it can't descend anymore. I bet the 3 sec delay before props off is exactly that. The software is waiting for 3 secs without down direction movement before powering down. I am pretty sure I have held the stick fully down while descending on an angle with my plus and the motors never cut off. I am also pretty sure the CSC move is also protected the same way.

BlackTracer said:
Awbro said:
Does the phantom detect when it touches the ground (no further downward movement) before switch off is enabled?

Good god I would hope so!!

Haha. So would I or there would be phantoms falling out of the sky everywhere :lol: it's just something I thought would be the case but wanted confirming. Cheers

Having spent some time watching these forums, I thought it did shut down.

This makes me nervous. Has anyone experienced a problem with this ?

By the way, watch the descent as the props end up in their own wash causing a lack of control.

There is a technical "vortex" type term for this.

CSC will shutdown your motors in flight and your Phantom will drop from the sky. I know this from experience. I really wish there was a way to disable it - as I'm super paranoid now of accidentally killing the motors while up at 100m again!

Seriously? Full down is just as dangerous... assuming it doesn't cut of you have a high chance of VRS.

Yup. I was in course lock mode and bringing it back and down at the same time and it just suddenly dropped out of the sky. While it was falling I realized what probably happened. After watching the video, I could see the motors stop and there was still power to the LEDs. I confirmed on the forums here that executing the CSC while in flight will in fact shut the motors down.

stop.jpg

stop2.jpg

d4ddyo said:
OK so where is intelligent mode vs immediate mode?

Intelligent mode should be enabled by defaut, but you can check in the Assistant software in the "Advanced" section under the "Motor" tab. For the P2 you''ll need to switch the software to NAZA-M mode to be able to access that.

OI Photography said:
d4ddyo said:
OK so where is intelligent mode vs immediate mode?

Intelligent mode should be enabled by defaut, but you can check in the Assistant software in the "Advanced" section under the "Motor" tab. For the P2 you''ll need to switch the software to NAZA-M mode to be able to access that.

ah ok... as long as it's default. i bought my P2 2nd hand and am going to check. never know like that guy who dropped his phantom...

So if I read that right, you are descending, you hold the stick all the way down and accidentally shut down the motors, as long as you push the stick up over 10% power within five seconds, or if you give it power right away the motors will start again?

If someone wants to try this from 1500 feet or so, I would love to see a video. :shock:

ResevorDG said:
So if I read that right, you are descending, you hold the stick all the way down and accidentally shut down the motors, as long as you push the stick up over 10% power within five seconds, or if you give it power right away the motors will start again?

If someone wants to try this from 1500 feet or so, I would love to see a video. :shock:

Read more:

ResevorDG said:

lol yeah exactly, I can't really picture that last-chance save working in a whole lot of situations...but yes the manual claims it's there if you have the time and wits to react.

There are a few videos on Youtube showing high-altitude motor shutoff and recoveries with airborne CSC.

The takeaway: the recovery rate is not even close to 100%. Sometimes the quad rights itself and keeps flying, other times it wobbles like crazy until it crashes into the ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.