Descend Speed

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to adjust the descend speed? This 2 m/s is killing me! Haha

There's no real adjustment per se.

It's a function of firmware revision, about 3.06 if I recall.
No matter on the recollection though because the f/w is where the 'bottleneck' is.

Right, the descent speed is hard-coded in the firmware. I usually descend at about 2-3 ft/second when coming straight down. Sure, it's slow -- but, I don't want to get caught in this:

Last edited:
Reducing the descent rate of speed came about right after the vPlus was introduced. Newbies were having problems learning how to slow down while descending before landing and hitting the ground and trashing out the gimbal. They removed it all about the same firmware update when we 1st got the Auto Pilot mode. Back then I was really into setting personal records on altitude. I use to be able to descend between 11-14.5mph. And as we all know we now are at 2ms which is about 4.5mph.

After losing connection late one night while at 3,300ft and watching the quad hover until it came down, was the last time I went high up in altitude. I bought a new vPlus and started what I'm into now which is Top Speed Record Flying. If the wind gust are above 20mph the adrenaline rush is more intense then high altitude flying.

I think it even predates the Vision+... there was no restriction in firmware V1 and tons of people were crashing devices due to VRS and DJI was warranty replacing them, so to cut down on that they instituted a hard-coded descent rate limit of 3m/s in firmware V2. Even then people were still VRS-crashing so in v3 they bumped it down to 2m/s which seems to eliminate VRS even when descending straight down except in rare wind conditions.

I also wish they'd make it a user-configurable setting in the assistant software but they don't seem keen on that at all. The only way around it is to go back to firmware 1.08 (which isn't wise, that introduces a whole other massive set of problems) or to run in full manual mode
:/

unfortunately the only practical solution for it seems to be to plan for it and not get yourself too high that you can't get back down with the battery you have left.
I mean come on, in the US you aren't supposed to be over 400' AGL anyway so you can't really complain. going up thousands of feet is kind of irresponsible

QYV said:
I think it even predates the Vision+... there was no restriction in firmware V1 and tons of people were crashing devices due to VRS and DJI was warranty replacing them, so to cut down on that they instituted a hard-coded descent rate limit of 3m/s in firmware V2. Even then people were still VRS-crashing so in v3 they bumped it down to 2m/s which seems to eliminate VRS even when descending straight down except in rare wind conditions.

I also wish they'd make it a user-configurable setting in the assistant software but they don't seem keen on that at all. The only way around it is to go back to firmware 1.08 (which isn't wise, that introduces a whole other massive set of problems) or to run in full manual mode

unfortunately the only practical solution for it seems to be to plan for it and not get yourself too high that you can't get back down with the battery you have left.
I mean come on, in the US you aren't supposed to be over 400' AGL anyway so you can't really complain. going up thousands of feet is kind of irresponsible

Usa isn't only place where people fly. It's a big world my friend. :)

that's why I said "in the US"

also, you may notice that the guy talking about hitting 3300 feet has his location listed as Indy, USA soooo..... ;)

I'm sure there are places where it not even unsafe to make those kind of flights, I'm really just trying to help people remember what's legal and not. There's other areas of this website people talking about how the FAA is watching Flytrex for illegal flights, who knows if they're going to do anything about it... just sayin'

I'm certainly not trying to insinuate I'm better than anyone, I fly BLOS myself and sometimes over 400... over like woods and **** never people, but I'm still breaking the guidelines.

QYV said:
The only way around it is to go back to firmware 1.08 (which isn't wise, that introduces a whole other massive set of problems) or to run in full manual mode
:shock:
Can you explain what problems one might have with 1.08?

doesn't it not support the newer gimbals? they added h3-3d support in firmware 2, I mean rolling back to v1 undoes all the improvements in v2 and v3 doesnt it? compass improvements, gps improvements...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik