Dented Prop - can I fix it?

Reaction score
Hi guys, quick question here. I bought a couple of PH2 props. one of them came slightly broken/ dented.
Is there any way I can fix it? please see photos below. would you consider it safe for flight? thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    715.4 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    756.1 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    789.1 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    951.3 KB · Views: 644
Because I bought them while on holidays, I cant really return them to the seller or purchase new ones. I'm stuck with them for my FC40.

That's an interesting spot for prop damage - the trailing edge is usually pretty well protected from strikes. Did it happen during flight?

I typically have a policy not to fly with props that have any more damage than just cosmetic dings/chips; you don't want these to fail in the air. $10 prop, $1000 copter, right? But I also have dozens and dozens of spare props to spare so it's easy for me to say that.

I seriously doubt anything catastrophic will happen if you keep flying that prop, assuming there's no other damage to it. But I would suggest thinking more about the big picture and consider whether it's better just to spend the $10-15 to replace.

ElGuano said:
That's an interesting spot for prop damage - the trailing edge is usually pretty well protected from strikes. Did it happen during flight?

I typically have a policy not to fly with props that have any more damage than just cosmetic dings/chips; you don't want these to fail in the air. $10 prop, $1000 copter, right? But I also have dozens and dozens of spare props to spare so it's easy for me to say that.

I seriously doubt anything catastrophic will happen if you keep flying that prop, assuming there's no other damage to it. But I would suggest thinking more about the big picture and consider whether it's better just to spend the $10-15 to replace.

thank you so much for your reply.
No, it just came dented. I got a refund but living outside US I have little access to stuff like this.
all the props are new. this one has a slight damage.

Is there any test I can perform? can I take it up and let it hover to see if it works?
which signs would you look for to see it could cause problems? wobbles?

THANKS!!!

There isn't a definitive test. You can always just hover outside and see what happens. But that only tells you it is not failing in the moment.

The problem is it could still fail completely at some random time after flight. Maybe the next flight, maybe that one time you are 500m high, maybe never and it outlasts all your other props. Kind of like asking if you should drive with a slashed tired that has been glued up....it's up to you but there are trade offs.

The only real test is fly the drone and see if the prop breaks in half and the whole thing falls to the ground and bursts into flames.

Don't do it. Damaged prop = replace. No exceptions.

rbhamilton said:
The only real test is fly the drone and see if the prop breaks in half and the whole thing falls to the ground and bursts into flames.

Don't do it. Damaged prop = replace. No exceptions.
thank you for your quick reply. I guess this rules out fixing it somehow right? no glue can save me from this?

I don't think it will break completely but, No I would not use it due to vibration effects. It could balance correctly but with the props spinning at the rpm's they do, there has got to be a vibration issue. The cost of a prop & the chance of vibration weakening a solder joint or anything like that. Plus I do not know if there is issues with excess vibration on the components of the motor. I would not take the chance. This is JMO. I am a newbie in this field so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Trailing edge damage is not a big deal. I would however flex it to confirm the crack does not run deeper.

If the crack expands, it's going to happen while the bird is in the air; you can't control if/when this is going to happen.

You can control whether you use the prop on or not. I wouldn't use it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4