Demunseed Disses The P3

You only have to fly it 100 feet out and people think you have a genuine DJI phantom.... im sceptical about the range claims, WIFI is WIFI. Im sure DJI got the best they could out of it at the price point.

Well, light bridge is pretty much in the wifi radio band too. Its not anything special or a magic frequency right.

Jim didn't include the P3 because he spent $3,000 on his Inspire1. So naturally, the P3 is beneath him.

Here's the $999 X-star:
Amazon.com : Autel Robotics XSTAR-WIFI-OR X-Star Drone with 4K Camera & Wi-Fi HD Live View (Orange) : Camera & Photo
A couple of relevant points to note are:
Wi-Fi HD Live View (720p streaming up to 0.6 miles away)
Included accessories: 16-GB MicroSD card
It's wifi!!! Its going to have an effective range of about 600 yards. The P3 Advanced (that costs $US799) uses Lightbridge and has a range of several miles.
There's no mention of a case and the card is 16GB

On specs, this is competing with the new DJI P3 4K - not the Pro or Advanced.

"Due to national and international regulations this device can only be shipped to the Continental United States".

Bizarre. It must have one hella battery. B&H keeps sending me P3's and batteries to Alaska with nary a complaint.

Well, light bridge is pretty much in the wifi radio band too. Its not anything special or a magic frequency right.
Lightbridge, if I am figuring this correctly, is just a spread spectrum radio in the 2.4 GHz wifi band. It is some specific tech limited to DJI but it's hardly the only time spread spectrum (or other range boosting techniques) has been used. The big problem with 2.4 GHz is FCC power limitations. You have to rely on 'aftermarket' stuff to get real range.

But radio control is radio control - you can use lower frequencies but you need bigger antennas and amps. High frequencies give small hardware but limited punch through objects.

Physics can be a cruel mistress sometimes.

Jim didn't include the P3 because he spent $3,000 on his Inspire1. So naturally, the P3 is beneath him.
I guess beneath is a good word. Jim had a Phantom 2 all tricked out with fpv and everything. I had the fpv goggles on when it lost signal and auto landed from around 150' agl/ 25' away horizontally... too - beneath us... 100' right onto fwy 80 in Auburn while he was fighting to get the signal back. There was a field across the fwy that he was flying it over too and I80 was right next to us, who would have thought that it would lose the connection being that close to us. The freeway was empty, no cars, no nothing and it landed right on the edge of the right lane. A minute went by and then we all watched as a semi ran it over; and it literally splintered instantly into thousands of tiny pieces. I was told he had $2500.00 into it. He was demonstrating it for us at our local Gold Miners meeting. So, yea, he has a lot of history with DJI and has been flying RC's of all types for many years. Nobody was hurt fortunately and it definitely wasn't a good day of demonstrating his brand new P2 for Jim.
On a side note - Yea, he comes off crazy in his videos, but it's for the show. In reality he is a really smart and fun guy to work with and sharp as a tack.

Reactions: metal69rock
i don't know enough about the drone manufacturers to say who is on a top5 list and who isn't. I bought the phantom3 (both of mine) solely based on a shopping experience at a b&m and the reputation. I didn't realize there so many drone company's that made quality products.

do I regret it? NO, I bought the standard before thanksgiving and the advanced 3 weeks ago. is the drone perfect? no! it has downright pissed me off a few times. but its still a **** nice piece of kit.

I don't give a monkeys banana peel what a "you tube" video person who paints naked ladies at burning man says about a drone; especially one with "sponsors"- that last part makes me trust him as much as an arsonist at a petrochemical plant.

although, the yuneec typhoon H looks pretty nice-too bad its priced out of my league.

point is I'm not going to waste the time worrying about what demonspawn said, it doesn't change my phantom love

Last edited:
By late 2016 or 2017, you'll know what the best drones of 2016 were. Until actually proven, everything is BS. I even waited on the phantom 3 until such time it did what I needed and did it well. The only other bird I trust to actually work really well and have solid updates along the way is yuneec. They really do make a great package. But all things considered, if my P3 went down I'd still get another one. Too, too much good in the P3.

Here's the $999 X-star:
Amazon.com : Autel Robotics XSTAR-WIFI-OR X-Star Drone with 4K Camera & Wi-Fi HD Live View (Orange) : Camera & Photo
A couple of relevant points to note are:
Wi-Fi HD Live View (720p streaming up to 0.6 miles away)
Included accessories: 16-GB MicroSD card
It's wifi!!! Its going to have an effective range of about 600 yards. The P3 Advanced (that costs $US799) uses Lightbridge and has a range of several miles.
There's no mention of a case and the card is 16GB

On specs, this is competing with the new DJI P3 4K - not the Pro or Advanced.
I asked am employee about the case and sd card. He/she confirmed that it will include a 64 gig micro sd and a " semi-hard case".

As for "It's wifi!!! Its going to have an effective range of about 600 yards." What do you think "light bridge" is? magic?

On autels actual site (not amazon) It says "Max Control and Video Transmission Distance" 1.2 miles (2000 meters).

edit: Wetdog: It looks like the xstar uses a frequency range of 902 MHz ~ 928 MHz for video compared to 2.4ish for the phantom. Advantages or disadvantages to both? Line of sight isnt quite as important on lower frequency's correct? (im sure higher has advantages as well)

edit: Meta4: Looks like they dont have all the problems with the shells fixed. Here we go again.. 2nd P3 Standard CRACKED 4 after gentle flights - 2 weeks old / OPINIONS PLEASE . Its kinda unbelievable they havent tucked the gimble/camera cable somewhere safe also imo.

Last edited:
Demunseed ... valid points? That would be a first (if it was true)
Jim Bowers is a complete tosser and has very little idea of anything.
His "valid points are:
Customer Service ... and he talks about the past.
Everyone knows DJI used to have poor service times.
It was a product of their explosive growth and the difficulty keeping up.
Anyone who's in touch also knows that DJI have made a big effort in this area and their service times have improved greatly.

Quality Control ... and he talks about shell cracking which was an issue with a small fraction of early production P3s.
The issue seems to have gone away now.

Demunseed is the last person to pay attention to for anything.
He's always off recommending some unreleased thing as the new best drone.
I reckon he smokes some strong ****!!

I think I'll just wait for the New Phantom - It's tried & tested and is the real deal imo - I can't see any better quad for the price
It will be interesting to see what the GoPro Karma will be like though!!

I asked am employee about the case and sd card. He/she confirmed that it will include a 64 gig micro sd and a " semi-hard case".
On autels actual site (not amazon) It says "Max Control and Video Transmission Distance" 1.2 miles (2000 meters).
You said their $999 X-Star
If you want to talk about the X-star Premium ... that's a different animal and costs more again.
Amazon.com : Autel Robotics XSTAR-PREM-OR X-Star Premium Drone with 4K Camera, 1.2-Mile HD Live View & Hard Case (Orange) : Camera & Photo
It will be interesting to see how that one performs when they get around to releasing it.
It might be good or it might not be.
But at a price of US$500 more than the P3 Advanced ... it would have to be more than amazing to get me as a customer.
As for "It's wifi!!! Its going to have an effective range of about 600 yards." What do you think "light bridge" is? magic?
Sounds like you've never tried Lightbridge. After wifi it seems like magic.
In case you've missed all the fuss since the P3 was released in April, Lightbridge gives clear liveview and control at 10 times the distance of wifi.
Looks like they dont have all the problems with the shells fixed. Here we go again.. 2nd P3 Standard CRACKED 4 after gentle flights - 2 weeks old / OPINIONS PLEASE . Its kinda unbelievable they havent tucked the gimble/camera cable somewhere safe also imo.
Someone's shell has cracks!! Wow ... out of how many hundreds of thousands of Phantoms?
Gimbal cable?? Is this a problem?

I don't want to get into some sort of ongoing tit for tat over an unreleased drone that you obviously have fallen for.
So far it doesn't stack up in my analysis and I'll be watching to see the reports when it comes on the market.
You're welcome to spend your $$ on it and find out if it lives up to the pre-release publicity.
I'd hate to be a competitor trying to compete against the P3A for $799.
DJI have made things very hard for them.

You said their $999 X-Star
If you want to talk about the X-star Premium ... that's a different animal and costs more again.
Amazon.com : Autel Robotics XSTAR-PREM-OR X-Star Premium Drone with 4K Camera, 1.2-Mile HD Live View & Hard Case (Orange) : Camera & Photo
It will be interesting to see how that one performs when they get around to releasing it.
It might be good or it might not be.
But at a price of US$500 more than the P3 Advanced ... it would have to be more than amazing to get me as a customer.

Sounds like you've never tried Lightbridge. After wifi it seems like magic.
In case you've missed all the fuss since the P3 was released in April, Lightbridge gives clear liveview and control at 10 times the distance of wifi.

Someone's shell has cracks!! Wow ... out of how many hundreds of thousands of Phantoms?
Gimbal cable?? Is this a problem?

I don't want to get into some sort of ongoing tit for tat over an unreleased drone that you obviously have fallen for.
So far it doesn't stack up in my analysis and I'll be watching to see the reports when it comes on the market.
You're welcome to spend your $$ on it and find out if it lives up to the pre-release publicity.
I'd hate to be a competitor trying to compete against the P3A for $799.
DJI have made things very hard for them.
That amazon listing is incorrect, see here where I confirmed with autel (comments)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(btw it is set to be released at the same time as the others). So yeah, same features (at least advertised), but cheaper and gives you the sd card and case....

My point about light bridge is that it IS wifi. It is way better than any wifi setup before it, but it is still wifi. You talk about it like it is something different. The problem with exposing the gimble cable is it is a big weak spot that could be fixed but hasn't.

edit: you have to go to youtube to see the comments where I asked. I am far from "fallen for" the xstar btw. Just have been looking for another option and it seems this may very well be one (as well as the prodrone, but its a little more $ than I want to spend)

Last edited:
My point about light bridge is that it IS wifi. It is way better than any wifi setup before it, but it is still wifi.

NO its is NOT wifi, its radio frequency, long range radio for the power levels.

To be honest, who gives a toss what a bellend like that thinks anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers