Deja Vu...all over again..sorta

Reaction score
So I'm flying my replacement P4 that I recently received from DJI under warranty repair. This was my fourth day of flying since getting it back. The previous three days of flights were just fine and all systems seemed AOK. All of the previous flights were kept on the property of 3 plus acres and all LOS. I had put the P4 thru the paces with absolutely no issues so I was fairly confident that the P4 would do fine with some 1600 foot distances. The first two flights today went just fine with no issues at all. So I mounted the same battery I had in my original P4 on the day it crashed set out for another flight. First leg was to be the same place where my first P4 fell out of the sky(3400 feet @ 350 ) and the new P4 did that just fine, so far so good. On to the second leg which is only about 1700 feet which is over my step son's property. As I approach my end point I get the dread blank screen and "Aircraft Disconnected" message! CRAP!!!!!!!! My wife happened to be standing next to me when it happened so I told her, "well I'm off to go find it!" So I hop in the car and head over to search the four plus acres to find it. So I go over and start my search and startling the sheep while I'm at it. So I spy something white at the far end of the property and about the last recorded location of the P4 so I head over to it and it turns out to be an old tennis shoe, or whatever they're called these days. Dang it! So I continue looking around hoping to spot it and it's nowhere. So I'm thinking it may have crashed in the hay field next door but I can't get to that area because I'm old and there's a six foot high chain link fence to climb. The only alternative is to drive to an access area and hoof it in to start my search.

As I'm heading back to the car I get a call from my wife asking how things are going and I tell her I can't find it. She says "Really?!" Then she tells me she has it. So the return to home function worked!! YAY!! So with great relief I headed home to be reunited with my baby. And sure enough there she was all safe n sound. I reviewed the video this evening and everything was recorded. It even recorded me walking back to the car and the wife coming out of the house to see what the dogs were all barking about only to see the drone coming down for a landing! Whew, feel like I dodged a bullet. I may have reacted too quickly to go find the drone because I didn't give the RC a chance to reconnect and it may have done just that I don't know because like any good husband I didn't listen to my wife when she told me to take the RC with me.

Anywho all is well and my blood pressure is back to normal.

Reactions: Stew-2 and Neon Euc
Thanks for sharing, well written. Hanging tennis shoes.... that explains some of the near miss reports we hear about.

Just another drama filled day flying the P4 eh...as they say every flight not the same.

I guess my question would be... why wouldn't you have assumed it would go to RTH after you lost connection? Very 1st thing I do when connecting to the AC is to check and set the RTH function before leaving the ground. I understand that nothing is foolproof but, for the most part, a very reliable function.

I guess my question would be... why wouldn't you have assumed it would go to RTH after you lost connection? Very 1st thing I do when connecting to the AC is to check and set the RTH function before leaving the ground. I understand that nothing is foolproof but, for the most part, a very reliable function.

Because the first time it happened back in January I waited and waited only to discover my P4 fell out of the sky and was severely injured. So I rashly assumed it happened again. And yes I always check the RTH function before leaving the ground.

I've been pushing mine lately, it does take a while sometimes for it to get back close enough to regain signal. I had a 53 second disco last night, not all that far way, due to trees. Best to trust it and wait although I did start to worry towards the end :)

I don't know I'd trust that crashed battery, it's probably fine but $130 to me is not worth the risk.

I've been pushing mine lately, it does take a while sometimes for it to get back close enough to regain signal. I had a 53 second disco last night, not all that far way, due to trees. Best to trust it and wait although I did start to worry towards the end :)

I don't know I'd trust that crashed battery, it's probably fine but $130 to me is not worth the risk.

The battery was sent back with my original P4 and I informed DJI that battery was involved in the crash. They sent it back with the new P4 so I am assuming they inspected it and by the way, that battery was almost "brand new" as it had only been used twice before the crash.

The battery was sent back with my original P4 and I informed DJI that battery was involved in the crash. They sent it back with the new P4 so I am assuming they inspected it and by the way, that battery was almost "brand new" as it had only been used twice before the crash.
Sounds good then if they sent it back. I've read a bunch of people say toss them but it's probably like the other myths like calibrating while keeping one foot off the ground and hopping ;)

What brand was the tennis shoe? There's one brand of shoe (can't remember which one) that's repeatedly mentioned in the shoe forums whenever there's a flyaway. I'm convinced it's a lace issue! ;)

What brand was the tennis shoe? There's one brand of shoe (can't remember which one) that's repeatedly mentioned in the shoe forums whenever there's a flyaway. I'm convinced it's a lace issue! ;)
It was an old National Balance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj