Degraded video quality via Youtube

Reaction score
I uploaded my first P2V+ video via Youtube and have to admit to being disappointed with the quality when viewed. I rendered the original footage as a 1080 .mp4 file. On the PC it runs really smoothly although I do get a small amount of pixilation at times. When I view it via the web, it looks pretty jerky, not the smooth motion you'd expect to see. I've tried rendering in in .avi and .wmv formats, but these are jerky even on the PC. Also tried downgrading the vid to 720 and uploading to Youtube, but there's no improvement.

Other Phantom vids that I've watched on Youtube seem really smooth. I notice that Youtube seem to do their own compression during the upload which is most probably the cause of the problem.

Any tips/ advice/ recommendations on how to overcome this would be appreciated.

Looks fine to me. Make sure you are viewing with the Quality Setting changed to 1080p, as YouTube throttles and often plays at a much lower quality setting than the max, if the default Auto quality setting isn't changed to the maximum available for the video.:cool:

Reactions: pelwitz and JBG
Video was fine. Nice smooth flight and easy transitions. Say hello to Red from US.

Video is smooth enough when set in to 1080P. Nice surroundings.

Some cinematographic tips:
1) never show the drone operator (yourself) in the footage... most of the times it's disturbing (not personal though) and takes away the focus of the actual footage.
2) easy on the yaw movements.
3) in this particularly footage/script, leave out persons who are close to the camera. In this case your wife (?).

Just my couple of cents.

Reactions: pelwitz
Looks fine to me. Make sure you are viewing with the Quality Setting changed to 1080p, as YouTube throttles and often plays at a much lower quality setting than the max, if the default Auto quality setting isn't changed to the maximum available for the video.:cool:
Many thanks for that :)

Video is smooth enough when set in to 1080P. Nice surroundings.

Some cinematographic tips:
1) never show the drone operator (yourself) in the footage... most of the times it's disturbing (not personal though) and takes away the focus of the actual footage.
2) easy on the yaw movements.
3) in this particularly footage/script, leave out persons who are close to the camera. In this case your wife (?).

Just my couple of cents.
Grateful for all feedback thanks. Originally the idea was to knock up a quick vid for friends on face book so left the miss's in. As for me ... that's the first thing I noticed as well. Hopefully as I get more experience at flying, I'll be able to film out of shot. Having said that, I was thinking of buying an artificial bush I could hide behind, but that might look a bit suspicious for the shots over the bridge :p .

Grateful for all feedback thanks. Originally the idea was to knock up a quick vid for friends on face book so left the miss's in. As for me ... that's the first thing I noticed as well. Hopefully as I get more experience at flying, I'll be able to film out of shot. Having said that, I was thinking of buying an artificial bush I could hide behind, but that might look a bit suspicious for the shots over the bridge :p .
That's what editing is for. You film everthing, and make several different edits of the same content for different people and different purposes, including drone selfies! Just edit out the scenes with you and the missus for a version for public distribution.

Many thanks for that :)
Also, if you upload any 4k content to YouTube, make sure you are viewing it at 4K under the quality setting on playback. Lastly, do not make any changes to your 4K uploaded YouTube content, using any YouTube editing tools, including adding audio! It will convert your 4K to 1080p. Edit 4K outside of YouTube and only upload your final 4k version to TouTube. Lessons all learned the hard way! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1