degauss my compass

here's another short flight from this morning.
The data in this flight looks perfect.
yeesh

dang! dji app that comes free with the app does NOT use the same SDK yaw variable... maybe you should run it and watch compass?

the DJI app doesn't log data does it? The on screen compass is pretty accurate in whichever app I am using. Because of that I am trying to convince myself that everything is ok. The quad is flying really well right now, it feels good. We went to our in laws last night for the fourth of July and I made some night flights shooting fireworks. It behaved itself very well. With one exception - I had one flight AGAIN where I took it straight up about 40 feet and hovered and all the LED's turned solid red. I landed as fast as I could and rebooted everything and it was fine after that. No error message on the app. This is the second time in one day. It is a little un nerving but again I am trying to convince myself that everything is ok. I popped the top off again this morning and checked all the connections. I take the lid off so often now I want to replace the screws with velcro or cable ties. haha
All the connections were tight so I don't know what caused the red light freak out. Roxanne - you don't have to... (sorry) haha.
The one thing that I think I will do different from now on is the compass dance. I used to calibrate the compass before the first flight of the day, no matter where I was. I calibrated it yesterday morning at the school, but I did not recalibrate it last night in Norwalk, about 10 to 15 miles away. And it felt good and flew good. I waited for the double burst of green flashes and I was good to go.
Here is my fireworks video

I am trying to see the glass as half full. I'm really trying.

Reactions: yorlik
FANTASTIC VIDEO!

I got up at 10pm last night and went outside to listen to my neighbor shooting off BIG stuff and rockets that burst in air, but could not see anything due to the 120ft trees between us.... Only about 1500 feet away too. I THOUGHT about running in workshop and getting quad out for the view, but it was way past us farmer's bedtime already.... After watching yours, I should have. GREAT video!

No dji does not log, but it also does not use that YAW variable thru SDK; so it REALLY would be worth your while to load it and run it once to see.... Since Ken says the YAW variable is the same as he uses for his compass, it should be shaking around exactly the same! Something doesn't make sense if YAW in UF log is all over the place but compass in app is not... Ken said he updates every 2 seconds; I question that since it seems to me my UF compass changes INSTANTLY when I yaw, not 2 seconds later.....

You can log down to 0.100 seconds - why not get a flight with that 10x higher resolution and see what it shows?

How many batts you have? Think you said a few.... red solid lights in Nazi mean low battery?
Can you correlate the solid red with JUST AFTER a full stick movement?

I had 3 batts, down to two now. Tree crash video in my videos. Today I went back to the school and flew my two batts. No one else was around so I got some good testing and practicing in. I love Ultimate Flight - that is the app I want to use. I only get video about half the time with UF. I get video almost all the time with DJI Vision, FPV Booster and Vision Pilot. Now I guess I have to try Litchi also. I don't have it yet. But of course the app I prefer to use is the one that gives me the most video problems. Always something haha
That was a good idea you had about the log at 1/10 seconds. I did it. I'll check it out in a few and post what I find.

My third and final compass test. I captured this flight log data at 10 times a second.
It's not perfect but it is better and I can live with this.

I love that track you can practice flying around!

QUESTION: does your RTH work? iF YOU HAVE NOT TESTED IT RECENTLY, BE VERY CAREFUL AND READY WITH ATTI SWITCH!

Seems funny that that that track is about 0.0080 gps latitude units long, but only 0.0002 wide?? Watch your lat/long - the lat is changing what looks right, but longitude is hardly changing at all! Unless I am missing something, seems your gps is not displaying correctly either! Yes, I see you have 5 decimal points on lat and only 45 on long, but watch 3&4 digits in.....

Unless I just saw it wrong, you may want to mark the real gps coordinates around that track in google maps and then fly it and compare the 4 corners.....

want to post the log? I would be very interested in seeing all the columns - maybe another set of eyes on it might see something?

I have no idea HOW the NAZI computer can fly so well with that corrupt data! Wonder how much a NAZI replacement box costs? If that is even anywhere close to the issue? Wonder if you could send the log and this video (link) to the two phantom repair places & dji and ask them for their opinions?

thanks for all your help. And good ideas. Maybe I'll send some emails tonight. I think the store I bought my Phantom from has a repair service also. I should email them.
I don't think I am alone. I went looking for other videos on you tube P2V+ Flytrex Dashware
I found this:

I think this is from a year ago and I think he has the Flytrex module but it looks like he has the same yaw issues I do. I left him a message but never heard back. This guy has much prettier surroundings than I do - thats for sure.

I can post a file here? I don't know how to do that. Can I PM it to you?

But really, you seem more nervous about this than I am now. I pretty much talked myself into the quad is fine, it's just a Flytrex/Dashware/DJI SDK/ glitch thing.

I'll take a closer look again tonight. Gotta go earn money now so I can afford this hobby. haha

NAZI box haha thats about it too haha

dang! that guys flying wore me out just watching it fight the air so much!! wonder how it stayed up! If mine flew that way I would be in this hobby! I will try to add dashware thing to one of my flights for comparison.... I am SURE it is not like either of these..... (famous last words)....

ya, I am trying to get some work done here too!

I think it's ok now. Since I replaced the compass the data is a lot better, it doesn't jump around as much. I would say it's at about 90% accuracy. I have been hunting for other dashware videos on youtube and a lot of them do what mine did and I think it is a DJI/Flytrex/Dashware/Ultimate Flight glitch thing. The compass in the app is always correct. Maybe that's why Ken told you that compass only updates every 2 seconds. Maybe he is trying to ignore all the false data. Like you said though it sure seems instant. Even when it looks like it is 100% there are instances where it just "whacks out" for a second or two.
In retrospect I think I was calibrating the compass too much, and to be honest, I always snickered at those fanatics who say to turn off your cell phone, don't have your car keys in your pocket, etc, when you calibrate the compass. I just calibrated it however I pleased and I didn't care about fences, buildings, cars, cell phones, whatever. And look what happened. Live and learn. So now I won't over-calibrate any more and when I do I guess I'll be a little more careful about my surroundings. It's a little humiliating to realize that I could have contributed to my compass problems.
I downloaded the Litchi app. I haven't tried it yet - this weekend. It hurt me to do that. For some reason I feel a sense of loyalty to Ken. I feel like a traitor but I have to try other apps and see if this compass issue remains.
thanks again for all your help

I started a dashware project a while back and never quite finished it; got it to work but then got too busy with other stuff. it was painful to learn for me and I did not do it more than that one time so do not have a good handle on it. It would be great to learn that so it can done as easily as you seem to do!

I hope your combination of changed compass calibration and new compass make this a total none issue! I last calibrated my compass probably 4 months ago; I NEVER do it or IMU calibration and don't plan to unless something breaks or acts up. I just did a demo talk and flight and shared video and pictures at our last ham club meeting. Actually it was really to show FOX hunting capabilities (I have a beacon on p2v3+ leg and showed how to direction find with it), but let me fly for the group. This was about 10 miles from home, at township building with the microwave/cell/radio tower 60 ft away from me... No problems.

I received your care package: THANK YOU!

Your artwork is PERFECT! You should be able to sell those decals/stickers for the quads!

I will study how your camera gimball saver piece works - again, THAT too should sell well!

And of course your dead battery did not wake up from the CA. to OH UPS ride. It is still dead.... I will look to see if I can find anything quick on pcbs to get it running again, but first glance showed nothing obvious to me either. If all else fails I can at least still test the battery cell capacities as is and then with individual charging to see if they perform significantly better afterwards. I will let you know.

Thanks again.

I mounted mine sideways like this
20150408_164012.jpg
there is a little nub that rotates with an arm you have to watch out for.

Sweet! so it just holds on with the white double sided tape?

And I see you have your gimbal stabilizer shipping plastic piece on - I haven't used that since I got the quad back in December! I use the original shipping box egg crate inside a large enough cardboard box to fit the quad with props on and also hold the RC unit and batts and spare props. Pushes some soft packing foam into egg crate hole where the camera fits, and it just sits on it lightly. Put the whole box in the golf cart and bounce along over the rough terrain to the spot I want to fly and take it out - have not had an issue yet... knock on wood...

Yes. that tape is 3M VHB very high bond. they stick trim on to cars with this stuff.
All it has to do is hold the gimbal saver in place. In a crash the U shape of the gimbal saver will provide the strength, not the tape. like a C clamp.

Last edited:
we were so close...
ok sorry - my last post then I'll let this die
I figured out my compass issue. Even after replacing the compass I still saw the yaw or heading data jump around intermittently.
The compass needs motion. When the quad hovers the compass just kind of circles or hunts I guess. I've seen some navigation displays in cars freak out at a stop light. It's very similar, when the car, or the quad start moving then the compass gets it's info. And the heading or yaw that displays in Dashware is not the heading of the quad, it's the heading of movement. The heading data is the direction of travel, not the heading or direction of the quad. I figured this out after my first two Litchi autonomous flights. POI and a way point mission. In the POI the quad was aimed at the center of the circle but the data followed it's travel. In the way point flight you can see the compass spin at every 3 second stop.
The same jumpy data reported to both apps I use, Litchi and Ultimate Flight. So it's a DJI SDK compass GPS thing.It needs motion to get a heading. I have noticed other Dashware videos on You tube that do the same thing so I am not alone.
...just in case anyone was wondering hey I wonder what ever happened with that guy's compass thing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20