Definition: Line of Sight

Reaction score
As a newbie wanting to be legal what is the legal definition please for Line of Sight?
A UK
B EU
C France
D Usa
E DJI

Safe flying all

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

As a newbie wanting to be legal what is the legal definition please for Line of Sight?
I'm not sure that you'll find regulations that use the term "line of sight" and so there won't be legal definitions.

The expression line of sight has been used for over 100 years to describe an unobstructed path between a transmitter and receiver.
It is very often mistakenly used by drone flyers who mean within visual range.

You have to have a clear line of sight to fly your Phantom (except for waypoint missions) ... you can't beat the laws of physics.
Look at actual regulations to see what they really say.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The rules for the UK are very clear, and are defined in the UK Air Navigation Order, article 167......"...The aircraft must be kept within the visual line of sight (normally taken to be 500m horizontally and 400' vertically) of its remote pilot."

The 400' is mandatory, but I guess if you have super eyesight you could venture a bit beyond the 500m !

Ok guys gaining knowledge all the time. Question for rockdydog- where in the ANO does it allow way point missions ?
Safe flying

Ok guys gaining knowledge all the time. Question for rockdydog- where in the ANO does it allow way point missions ?
Safe flying

It doesn't ! (Well, it would if all the points were in your direct line of vision).

Ok thankyou
So all flying in UK must be within 500 metres horizontal.
Anything else is illegal.
Reading French AA they talk about LOS and similar distances, conclusion illegal again whether way points or not.
So that leaves USA conclusion still open ?
What is DJI app doing for CE authorised import allowing over 500 metres and their manual states range over 1.2 miles? Additionally we are now encouraging maximum range stats.
Look I am not a spoiler just trying to understand for our hobby what are the boundaries.
In France in their ANO equivalent says " I do not fly over people" and "I do not fly my drone over roads". I haven't taken these out of context.
Minefield springs to mind!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic