Defective Camera replacement (Soft Focus issue)

So to be sure: Is there anyone here who changed the cam and got one back that had no issues at all?

My first unit was unacceptably soft on the left. Returned it to Amazon (their usual no-questions asked return policy). Ordered a second from Amazon this time from eRC, and again soft, this time on the right side. I'm honestly disgusted with the QC of a $1200 item, but it seem that I may never get a good one. I'll say, the second unit is far better then the first, sharper overall, and the right side softness is almost tolerable, but still I will notice it every time I look at it, and a $1200 camera platform should be focused properly.

I'm tempted to just send it to Ragecams for their lens upgrade and be done with it (and be rid of the bloody fisheye perspective as well) but adding another $500 is also annoying the hell out of me. Adding to it I was planning on buying a 2axis gimbal once they get down to a reasonable price. So my $1200 P2V will end up a $2000 investment that with my luck will end up in the Hudson River this summer! If I keep it, I'll need to make some pontoons I think.

If you have not tried to shoot stills in hard mode you should try it until we get some more info from DJI. I also have a soft left side but it's improved to some degree setting the cam to shoot in "hard" mode on the vision app. Then when you get into photoshop all the noise can be removed in post, i think its making an overall better image. Not a total solution but i really don't want to send my cam off for an unknown amount of time. If it comes to that i want them to send me a better cam then i will send them the faulty one. That seems like a more reasonable request considering the price of this thing.

just a comparison , not really sure its relevant scientifically speaking. hard setting looks slightly more in focus to me and could be a bigger difference with more information on the sensor? Until DJI make's it easy to replace the FC200 or provide a user friendly solution i'm going to keep drudging forward with my current FC200 AP. Although its pretty clear this effects nearly all FC200's and DJI should do something about it.

Attachments

• standard-1.jpg
    standard-1.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 800
  • hard-1.jpg
    hard-1.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 787
  • soft-1.jpg
    soft-1.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 805
Although its pretty clear this effects nearly all FC200's and DJI should do something about it.

I have asked and suggested this before but not even one answer in here, so now I try again :|

We are 4795 users in here :!: Of course not all of them are using the Pantom Vision but all are using a DJI product.
We should stand together as a community and write a letter/email that comes from all of us complaining about this problem and in general their lack of support. At the same time we could ask them to be active on this Forum, which I think are the biggest IDJ Phantom in the world! They should listen to this and come out of the bush.
We should also make a thread that is directly aimed to DJI so the don't have to go through the whole forum, how does that sound?
Adam if you are reading this and if you think it is a good idea, could you please make a new Forum and make it Sticky in the Top, maybe just under the news. And call it something so DJI now exactly where to go. After that is done we have to contact them and tell them about it. I hope and think they are so professional that the will listen and start to participate.
I will also write this in another post because it is starting to get a little off topic, hope that is ok.

Klaus said:
Although its pretty clear this effects nearly all FC200's and DJI should do something about it.

I have asked and suggested this before but not even one answer in here, so now I try again :|

We are 4795 users in here :!: Of course not all of them are using the Pantom Vision but all are using a DJI product.
We should stand together as a community and write a letter/email that comes from all of us complaining about this problem and in general their lack of support. At the same time we could ask them to be active on this Forum, which I think are the biggest IDJ Phantom in the world! They should listen to this and come out of the bush.
We should also make a thread that is directly aimed to DJI so the don't have to go through the whole forum, how does that sound?
Adam if you are reading this and if you think it is a good idea, could you please make a new Forum and make it Sticky in the Top, maybe just under the news. And call it something so DJI now exactly where to go. After that is done we have to contact them and tell them about it. I hope and think they are so professional that the will listen and start to participate.
I will also write this in another post because it is starting to get a little off topic, hope that is ok.

Im with you. sing me in!

I was hoping to wait for the RAW software update so I could see what the image really looked like, but I"m running out of time on my Amazon return. So I went ahead and told Amazon to send me a replacement, and will be boxing my current P2V up and sending it back shortly. My images are fuzzed on the left side, but pretty reasonable in the center (if you ignore all the jpg compression crap).

In addition to users complaining, DJI will start listening if big retailers like Amazon start seeing lots of returns. Amazon will absorb some returns without noticing, it's just the cost of doing business, but I'm sure they have a threshold where they start to ask questions.

I got a response from eRC today saying they would get in touch with DJI, and for me to send some examples. They did say it may take some time for a response, so hopefully I can get a working camera at some point.

mchad said:
My first unit was unacceptably soft on the left. Returned it to Amazon (their usual no-questions asked return policy). Ordered a second from Amazon this time from eRC, and again soft, this time on the right side. I'm honestly disgusted with the QC of a $1200 item, but it seem that I may never get a good one. I'll say, the second unit is far better then the first, sharper overall, and the right side softness is almost tolerable, but still I will notice it every time I look at it, and a $1200 camera platform should be focused properly.

I'm tempted to just send it to Ragecams for their lens upgrade and be done with it (and be rid of the bloody fisheye perspective as well) but adding another $500 is also annoying the hell out of me. Adding to it I was planning on buying a 2axis gimbal once they get down to a reasonable price. So my $1200 P2V will end up a $2000 investment that with my luck will end up in the Hudson River this summer! If I keep it, I'll need to make some pontoons I think.
Well, Not sure whether this is good or bad news. Ragecams, Dennis send me back my camera with the modifications. I could not connect it to my receiver???? So Back to Ragecams it went. Apparently they cannot figure out what went wrong and cannot fix. I am asking myself, Am I out the fees and shipping I paid ragecams? Will I need to spend another $500 for a replacement camera? I don't have answers to these questions yet, but you can bet I will followup on all the forums with the good or bad news!

This is a direct quote from their website "This is very easy and safe to do.

To order this service please go ahead & place your order, & if you want the deluxe mod with filter kit select that also.

We ask that you mail us your camera & the repeater receiver part only.

We insure our work & have modded well over 1000 gopro cameras & 10 vision2 camera to date. Your camera will come back ready to film as soon as you connect it back to the vision2."

here is a link to their site: http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-lens-inst ... p-658.html

Dennis keeps telling me how overwhelmed he is. He had better take care of his customers of that will change real fast.

I am awaiting my fourth Vision from B&H. B&H has been great to work with as usual. The cameras on all three were flawed. The first was good in the center but terrible on the outside edges. Both edges. I should have kept it and cropped both edges. The next one was soft on the left and so noisy at iso 100 that when I tried to fix it in post (Lightroom 5 or CS6) the images turned to mush. NIK Define couldn't even help. The one I just sent back, was soft on the right side. And the quality overall was poor. I am not expecting the camera to have the quality of my DSLRs but I DO expect it to be equal to a point and shoot. My iphone is better. The distortion does not bother me. Any fisheye has that. And is easily fixed in post. I sent a few complaints to DJI but with no response. If the fourth is flawed, I will go another route and will stay away from DJI or any Chinese company. Lesson learned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20