Default Controls are Terrible

Reaction score
I have to say the default mode 2 controls are hard to pick up, anyone know why the controls are the way they are??? have they come from model plane flying???.

To be honest I have only flown my drone in mode 3 and this is why, so like most noobs I had a go on the simulator before taking my first flight and I could not get used to the controls they felt so backwards, im 30 so part of the Playstation generation and have been playing video games for well over 20 years and can normally pick it up quick so after 10mins I gave up and tried mode 1 and that was the same then tried mode 3 and wow what a difference, and why you may ask?

because mode 3 is the exact same controls as nearly all video games eg call of duty, left stick: movement, right stick: look around. so I think this has helped me learn to fly so much quicker because I already know the controls I don't need to think about what stick does what. I really think young pilots would learn a lot quicker with these controls. but that's just my 2 cents. any thoughts.....

Last edited:
Well the sim is lol, but I get your point but what im trying to say is I bet more people who get into drone's now have played a video game than used a RC before... like I said in the main post "I really think young pilots would learn a lot quicker with these controls. but that's just my 2 cents".

Luckily the RC is configurable so go with what is comfortable for you. I started out on mode 1 (which if I call correctly is the opposite of mode 3) but moved to mode 2 early as it was what most were flying and made it easier to learn tricks on RC helicopters (speaking the same language when a more experienced operator was explaining things to me).

Aileron and elevator on one stick with rudder and throttle on the other makes a lot of sense and seems the closest approximation you will get to a full scale AC. I haven't been playing video games though.

Not sure what the big deal is. Configure the sticks to whichever mode you are most comfortable with (there are 4 available options which covers all reasonable stick modes). I've owned consoles (first one I ever had was a PS1) and before that I played on a PC keyboard and have no problems whatsoever with mode 2 which incidentally is why I started with that for rc gear rather than mode 1. Mode 3 was originally configured to prevent accidental mixing of inputs on rc planes and AFAIK not commonly used outside of those craft.

Just be aware that if you only use mode 3 don't go flying other people's craft. I once let a friend who normally flies mode 1 have a go on my mode 2 heli once and he promptly crashed it about 4 seconds after takeoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc
Yeah that's been the default for old timers in the game in Australia lol, although many I know who fly multirotors have moved across to mode 2.
That was my experience, as quoted. As you likely know some stunts are easier on mode 2, even though some of the top 3D pilots are flying mode 1.

Yep totally agree. These days craft with altitude control come with spring loaded sticks on both sides so makes it super easy to change modes in software. Unfortunately I can't fly 3D to save my life lol.

I have always used mode 2 and felt so comfortable. It's a question of getting used to. Anyway if you like other modes, you can easily switch to.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

At RC field it's common to share the RC with other pilots or run session in dual command with instructor (not specifically saying for Phantom). Sharing same mode makes things easier.

It is very easy to change the mode with the Phantom RC but bear in mind that further change can be a pain once your mind get used to a certain mode. Or eventually a risk in case of emergency manoeuver.

Mode 2 for me.

Last edited:
At RC field it's common to share the RC with other pilots or run session in dual command with instructor. Sharing same mode makes things easier.

It is very easy to change the mode with the Phantom RC but bear in mind that further change can be a pain once your mind get used to a certain mode. Or eventually a risk in case of emergency manoeuver.

Mode 2 for me.

I don't know what the RC club fields are like where you are but here with helis younhad to fly the same pattern as the planks with hovering and any 3D flight restricted to an are smaller than my yard. Fully with you on the trainer port scenario, gives great comfort having someone with the experience to instantly take over.

Yep helis are very demanding in terms of pilots responsiveness and acuracy so stick controls are playing a key role vs a drone with lot of flight assistance so more buffer for errors. Also with helis we got different flight modes we switch during flight where ie throttle position and rates are changing (iddle ups).

Yep helis are very demanding in terms of pilots responsiveness and acuracy so stick controls are playing a key role vs a drone with lot of flight assistance so more buffer for errors. Also with helis we got different flight modes we switch during flight where ie throttle position and rates are changing (iddle ups).

Flight assistance? LOL I know things are better now but when I was flying helis the best I could hope for was a locked in tail and well trimmed cyclic, while it seems like your flyimg smoothly even in a hover stick inputs were constant. If you needed time to think it was all over. I couldn't help laughing at how ridiculously easy the phantom is from the moment it popped off the skids.

Reactions: RémyHeli
I still fly my 700N DFC (and even looking now for 700X) and for me a craft locking it's position thru GPS such as P4 is indeed flight assistance.

Still can't get away from heli flying style but not for taking pictures.

Note where I have fixed the GoPro but no go vs Phantom which is the way to go for taking quality pictures..

c8e22a7ae5ca11dc30df89defdd3a587.jpg

I started in Mode 2 but found it to be very non-intuitive (which is exactly what you don't want in a quick-response / panic sort of situation). Mode 1 comes a lot more naturally but as has been said, different people will tend to naturally find a particular mode more comfortable than another. I'd say do whatever comes naturally for you - test yourself by doing actual or simulated quick-response situations (where you don't have time to carefully think through every control input consciously and then be deliberate about it), etc. I drilled myself by doing repeated approaches to a precision landing point in my yard (which has lots of tree branches, utility lines and other hazards) as quickly as I could. This exercise made me realize pretty quickly that I personally hated the Mode 2 and it could easily get me into trouble. I then tried the same with some customization and finally settled on Mode 1 as a much more natural way to fly (I easily broke my personal time records from a waypoint in hover to a precision landing point without feeling too uncomfortable).

As Dr. Timothy Leary said, "experiment, experiment, experiment..." ;)

Necro bump!

I just got my Phantom 3 a couple months ago and shortly switched over to Mode 3 (due to video games). But I started thinking, do many other drone makers include the ability to switch the controls around? If I started getting other drones, would I more than likely screw myself by getting used to Mode 3, but it not being available on other brands? Since I'm still new, I don't really know the industry standard yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj