Dedicated Vaavud Anemometers thread

Do you feel you need a wind meter (anemometer)?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Hello everyone -

I am Tom.
Today was a good day!

I struggle with a major fear of taking off and flying my P4 in the wind.

How do you gauge where the limit is?
The Phantom can only do so much when flying in strong winds and could get carried away.

an·e·mom·e·ter
ˌanəˈmämitər/
noun

1. an instrument for measuring the speed of the wind, or of any current of gas.

So the other day I asked naively on these forums whether there is a way to measure to speed of the wind using my iPhone.

A kind member answered that he was using a Vaavud wind meter.

Upon researching it and wanting to carry something compact I can have with me/ my P4 at all times, I was impressed to see that Vaavud stood head and shoulders above the rest in this niche market.
Obviously I won't need to use it every single time i fly but I love that I will have a dedicated means.

With a +/- 4% precision and a very nice app, I had to have them.
Apparently they also work with Android. Here is the list of compatible devices Vaavud – Compatibility

I just received my Vaavud Sleipnir (wind speed and direction) and Vaavud Mjolnir (wind speed only) today Vaavud – Shop and I am super excited to put them to use over the next few days. I'll edit this post with a nice review then.

Here are some pictures I just took and I could not wait to share in the mean time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Note:
All pictures are mine.
DO NOT reuse without asking for permission (the correct thing to do) and/ or without credit (at a minimum).

And please stay on topic.
This thread is for this the Sleipnir and Mjolnir in particular.
You are welcome to create a thread of your own to discuss away from this topic.

1.JPG
2.jpg
4.JPG
7.JPG
3.jpg
6.JPG
5.JPG

Last edited:
I was able to finally go out and fly a bit yesterday. I was at the beach and was happy to use the Vaavud Mjolnir to get some measurements.

Here is a short video showing it in action.
I have to make another one showing the user interface in the app in action.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reserved

Updated with a short video in post # 2.

Yo Tom, I had a good day also, ? would this be you by any chance, if so tell us more thanks

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469226079.016509.jpg

@Ptr ahah, no I am not him. Nice find! :)

Well if you don't ask ? you don't receive an answer, how long have you had your P4 Tom, everything has limitations including myself, 3 words on your opening statement if you could go into more detail stand out & why the need for your choice, struggle, major & fear

Your wording/ choice of words is very different from most members on here. Glad you posted.

Sending you a PM now to banter so the thread can stay on topic.

Your dedicated I'll give you that, no PM yet, wasn't having a pop @ you just saying why you would be afraid to fly a P4 & promote these guys as saviours, the forum knows all not me

By way of exaggeration, you are saying this isn't going to help flying.

Well to be clear an anemometer won't save you from crashing your drone.
I crashed several over the years because of my inaptitude and/ or circumstances that could not be helped. A strong wind tipped my very first one over right after I started the motors and damaged my propellers and GoPro.

So why would one need need an anemometer?
It's a tool to gather data about your environment to fly, wind-surf, skydive, driving etc.

For the drone flying application, the rotors can only do so much.
It pays to know if you are going to bother getting up in the air and be ok or if the winds are too strong making losing the drone a likely scenario because it will be carried away despite running the motors at full throttle.

Most of use here fly for leisure but some do it for a living and if they have a day's work planned but didn't anticipate a windy weather, having this tool beats sticking one's index up in the wind or the cheapo and useless ones some people buy sometimes when they the price in mind ahead of everything else.

I don't think people know about anemometers in general and these excellent products in particular.
If I can save someone research time, I'll be happy for it.

Dedicated, yes, I do everything this way. If I am going to bother, I may as well push hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Nicely
I never under estimated your ability, I'm not that interested , hit your avatar says you're pushing this product big time, hence my original ? Is you the real Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen