Dedicated Tablet for Phantom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have been doing a lot of reading on the site about tablets and am trying to come up with a gameplan as far as what I am going to be keeping in the case along with my p3a.

I am wondering if it is a good idea to have a dedicated tablet for flying? I mean the tablet I use regularly has a lot of apps installed on it and just curious if people have found issues with having other stuff installed.

My situation is that I have a Nexus 7 (2013) LTE that I use for all sorts of stuff, do you think I should just fly with that? Or I do have a brand new Nvidia Sheild K1 wifi that I might use, but if there isn't really a benefit then I might just return it.

Any insights? or experience with both?

My other Idea .. was to go ahead and return the Nvidia Sheild and try to score a Sheild with LTE and keep that as my single tablet. I am not sure how much of a pain it is not having LTE on the tablet you use, from what I read it just requires some planning ahead to make sure you download maps while on wifi before heading out?

Why not just try what you have before looking for something new?

I also have a Nexus 7 (2013) wifi-only that I use for lots of other things that works well with my P3A. With earlier versions of DJI GO I had a few app crashes that I could quickly recover from, but haven't had a crash for months now. You probably will want to add a sunshade, and I also use a Tech Armor antiglare screen protector.

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and an Nvidia Shield K1. While I only use them solely for flying, DJI GO works very well on both. I know the Nvidia Shield K1 specs are much better, but I cannot tell the difference between the two when I'm out flying.

I too have a Nexus 7 2013 that's is my games tablet that I use primarily for my drone flights. Though I also have a Sony Xperia Z that I have used for flights.

You shouldn't have an issues using yours.

I too am in the market for a tablet to run GO and Litchi. Not sure, don't see any Nexus 7's for sale anywhere reliable.

What about some of the galaxy tabs?

I have a Galaxy S5 that I will be starting with but I will want a bigger screen. I have a Transformer TF700 but it does not have a USB port so its out. The granddaughters have some cheap tabs from christmas (they got 3 between the 2 of them). They don't have GPS sensors, so those are out.

How about these guys, 10" screen for $130. Has GPS, even has HDMI out.
Insignia™ - Flex - 10.1" - 32GB - White/Silver

Or this, 11.6" screen for $150 with GPS:
DigiLand - 11.6" Tablet - 16GB - Black

I didn't see either of those tablets in your list (had already looked). Thats why I asked about them.

I purchased an ipad mini as a dedicated tablet for my Phantom,
Has worked perfectly.

RC uses tablet with heavy data streaming. That's why we need tablet with fast processor and at least 2GB free space. It is advisable to stop all other apps except DJI Go before using it on RC. Idea is to have full processing capability available to tablet to process streaming video. Take care of these things and enjoy your current tablet.

I always keep it dedicated for flying cause I charge it before going out for flying. If you use tablet for other purposes too, you need to remember that tablet has enough charge on it before you go out to field for flying.

I decided to get a dedicated tablet. I was flying with my iPhone 6, but that got old quick. I didn't want to use my iPad mini because I use it heavily for my photography business. I ran across the Nextbook Ares 8. At $78 I figured I could not go wrong. I just got it, so hopefully I'll get to test it in flight this weekend. But I am glad I can keep it in the backpack with the P3P at all times.

Hands-on with the Nextbook Ares 8

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I too am in the market for a tablet to run GO and Litchi. Not sure, don't see any Nexus 7's for sale anywhere reliable.

What about some of the galaxy tabs?

I have a Galaxy S5 that I will be starting with but I will want a bigger screen. I have a Transformer TF700 but it does not have a USB port so its out. The granddaughters have some cheap tabs from christmas (they got 3 between the 2 of them). They don't have GPS sensors, so those are out.

How about these guys, 10" screen for $130. Has GPS, even has HDMI out.
Insignia™ - Flex - 10.1" - 32GB - White/Silver

Or this, 11.6" screen for $150 with GPS:
DigiLand - 11.6" Tablet - 16GB - Black
I really like the Galaxy TAB A with 9.7" screen
Very fast processor, works great, can find for a good price on ebay
And GPS works with everything else, wifi, bluetoots, etc... turned off

I also have a Nexus 7 (2013) wifi-only that I use for lots of other things that works well with my P3A. With earlier versions of DJI GO I had a few app crashes that I could quickly recover from, but haven't had a crash for months now. You probably will want to add a sunshade, and I also use a Tech Armor antiglare screen protector.
Why not just try what you have before looking for something new?
I have the same setup P3A & Nexus 7 (2013) wifi only, I was just on amazon considering getting the Tech Armor antiglare screen protector. Has it helped a lot, are you happy with it? Any issues with it? Thanks!

I have the same setup P3A & Nexus 7 (2013) wifi only, I was just on amazon considering getting the Tech Armor antiglare screen protector. Has it helped a lot, are you happy with it? Any issues with it? Thanks!
I use it with a sunshade, and In my opinion it does help. It slightly changes the look and texture of the screen, but that doesn't bother me much. As with all screen protectors, it can be tricky to apply without getting any bubbles or dust, but I was lucky and it went on perfectly on my first try. There are three films in the package so you can try again if you aren't as lucky.

I use it with a sunshade, and In my opinion it does help. It slightly changes the look and texture of the screen, but that doesn't bother me much. As with all screen protectors, it can be tricky to apply without getting any bubbles or dust, but I was lucky and it went on perfectly on my first try. There are three films in the package so you can try again if you aren't as lucky.

Ok, I will give it a shot
I plan on using it in conjunction with this sunshade:
$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG

I am glad it comes with 3 of them, I have been down the road of putting these screen protectors on and trying to get it near perfect can be a challenge sometimes.

Did it decrease the maximum brightness of the screen much? Thanks

Ok, I will give it a shot
I plan on using it in conjunction with this sunshade:
$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG

I am glad it comes with 3 of them, I have been down the road of putting these screen protectors on and trying to get it near perfect can be a challenge sometimes.

Did it decrease the maximum brightness of the screen much? Thanks
No, hardly any effect on brightness, and it does reduce reflections somewhat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues