Deciding between Phantom 1.1.1 and Phantom 2

Reaction score
So I am about to buy my first DJI Phantom, and have the choice between 2.

1st. $355.00 free shipping DJI Phantom 1.1.1 no gimbal

2nd. $375.00 $25 shipping DJI Phantom 2 w/ H4-3D Gimbal (no battery, no props)

I plan to use this as a hobby and do some racing and extreme sports videos for my youtube channel. My confusion here is to which one is a better dea for me. What am I missing out on with each. Id like to have the option to use my smartphone for some stuff and I heard I cannot with the 2. Also, I really wanted a gimbal so I thought that was a seriously good deal! I looked up some propellers and found them for about $15-20. The battery about $85.00.

Is this all correct? I would always imagine a newer version being better but all I could find that was better was "flight time" which isn't all that much of a deal breaker for me, the gimbal seemed to be.

Thanks in advance

The DJI Phantoms are not made for racing... if this is a requirement look elsewhere.

Without a lot of mods the P1.1.1 can not be used with a smartphone or tablet. It's batteries are $25-$30 each and will provide from 6-10 minutes of flight time per battery charge. You have to add an isolation mount ( possibly a gimbal) and a camera. Of all the Phantoms this one can carry the least weight.

The P2's are the next step up. They work with smartphones/tablets but they require proprietary DJI "Smart) Battery Packs costing about $150 each. Flight times are in the 20 minute range depending on whats carried.

The recent P3's also use the smart battery technology but come with a well designed camera/gimbal setup that provides unbelievably high quality steady aerial video and stills. They can optionally fly via apps that control many of the new flight features such as way point flying, follow me, etc....There are 3 versions of the P3 (P3S, P3A, P3P)...current prices are now probably in the $500, $1100, $1,400 range respectively. If you're a new pilot, skip these until you fly with more confidence.....DJI repairs are COSTLY and usually suffer from long repair backlogs.

What I meant to say was I will use it to ''film racing". I operate an extreme sports youtube channel in which I film myself. So the thought of using this for some new killer angles excites me!

www.youtube.com/sp00nfedem1

I was just unsure of which would be the better deal. Both being about under $400 shipped, I thought the P2 with the H4-3D gimbal was the one. Isnt the gimbal worth a lot more? The P1 I can get doesn't come with anything but its ready to fly unline the P2 in which I need to pick up battery and props.

Which would you get and why? ....

So I am about to buy my first DJI Phantom, and have the choice between 2.

1st. $355.00 free shipping DJI Phantom 1.1.1 no gimbal

2nd. $375.00 $25 shipping DJI Phantom 2 w/ H4-3D Gimbal (no battery, no props)

I plan to use this as a hobby and do some racing and extreme sports videos for my youtube channel. My confusion here is to which one is a better dea for me. What am I missing out on with each. Id like to have the option to use my smartphone for some stuff and I heard I cannot with the 2. Also, I really wanted a gimbal so I thought that was a seriously good deal! I looked up some propellers and found them for about $15-20. The battery about $85.00.

Is this all correct? I would always imagine a newer version being better but all I could find that was better was "flight time" which isn't all that much of a deal breaker for me, the gimbal seemed to be.

Thanks in advance
What about the Phanton 3 standard, is ready to fly with camera and gimbal.. Just saying

Yea, But if you add the price of the gimbal and go pro, at the end, the p3 standard is a better deal, better drone, maybe you can finance the drone thought amazon..
You're not reading my first post.

The price I included was WITH A GIMBAL, $375. The P1 was just the P1 kit ready to fly. No GoPro with either kit, as I have my own.

Ah sorry about that, we'll the p2 is superior thought, I'm not quite sure

Well guys, I decided to go with the Phantom 2 w/ the H4-3D gimbal that just needs props and a battery. I did a lot of research and I seemed the P2 was just more advanced. And for me, the gopro mount gimbal was a great choice as I plan to shoot some cool videos wit this thing.

Hopefully I made the right choice...

Good luck! And share the videos with us!

[11/30, 14:44] Barreiro:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
[11/30, 16:25] Barreiro:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I took those yesterday

My only concern is that after I buy the charger, the battery, and the props that I will be over the $699.99 that the Phantom 2 H4-3D costs new...

My only concern is that after I buy the charger, the battery, and the props that I will be over the $699.99 that the Phantom 2 H4-3D costs new...[/QUOTE
Tage was my point, is better a phanton 3 Standart for that price, you have the intelligent flight modes and the newer model. Is something to consider, because you can have the drone now but can't fly it, so better save a little more and get the standard brand new

P3s can be had for about 5-6 complete on ebay and electronics are much better, check specs. You will be much happier.

What I meant to say was I will use it to ''film racing". I operate an extreme sports youtube channel in which I film myself. So the thought of using this for some new killer angles excites me!

www.youtube.com/sp00nfedem1

I was just unsure of which would be the better deal. Both being about under $400 shipped, I thought the P2 with the H4-3D gimbal was the one. Isnt the gimbal worth a lot more? The P1 I can get doesn't come with anything but its ready to fly unline the P2 in which I need to pick up battery and props.

Which would you get and why? ....
If your eventual purpose will be to do film racing, neither Phantom (or for that fact any other multirotor) can do what your suggesting....

You're seriously under-estimating how easy it is to both fly and frame good video.

Even an "experienced" 2 man film crew has trouble getting it right.

A multicopter pilot can't by himself get good aerial video .... both flying and aerial video require 100% attention.

It's pretty much a hobby man. I believe I can incorporate some good shots into my films with just some basic flying and recording.

We shall see...

She comes Tuesday!

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1449117620.796950.jpg

Well, I'm afraid that once you get done buying all the parts you need to properly use as an APV rig (fpv setup to be able to frame your shots, $100 osd,$60, battery, $100) you'll be at or above what it costs to buy a new P3 Standard, superior to the P2 in every aspect, and with all of the stuff mentioned before included. Even if you already own the GoPro you have to factor in the risk of losing the camera every time you fly (and then your primary camera goes bye-bye)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31