Deception Pass

Reaction score
I visited Deception Pass today with my wife. After flying my DJI Phantom 3 Pro under the bridge and losing contact (and totally freaking out, fortunately I just lost video and was able to increase the drone's altitude until I got video back), I decided to keep it on my side of the bridge and just do a simple circuit of my side of the pass.

After completing the pass, I wanted to get out my FPV goggles and let my wife see from the drone's perspective, but a friendly National Park Ranger informed me that flying an Unmanned Ariel Vehicles is not allowed on National Park grounds.

Although I am a new pilot, I was surprised that the instructions found on Knowbeforeyoufly.org and on the FAA website where I registered as a UAS pilot don't mention this restriction. In fact the first thing I did after the ranger spoke to me was pull out my wallet and look at the back side of my UAS Certificate of Registration. It has no mention restrictions for National Parks.

Oh well, you live and learn. Here is my video:

would the B4UFLY app notify us about national parks?
also, how much was the fine? or did he just let you go with just a warning?

The ranger was kind enough to just inform me of the restriction.

In reading on-line, the vast majority of people who get caught flying drones in national parks are just told to pack it up with no official citation or fine.

I really don't understand this restriction. Is it a simple liability thing? Are they worried someone will drop a drone on some tourist's head? I could understand a case by case (or park by park) basis. Like Mount Rushmore. That place is usually wall-to-wall people. But surely they could have 'Drone Days' or something like that. Or Monument Valley. I would LOVE to get some aerial pics/videos from out there (and I may just do so LOL). Pretty sure the chances of damaging people or things out there is pretty low.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4