Death to my Gimbal, Thanks for the MUD ! (Advice for All)

Reaction score
My quicky lunchtime flight has taught me something VERY important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhD6aHy ... e=youtu.be

FOR GODS SAKE, CHECK THE BATTERY IS PROPERLY CLIPPED IN !

I don't think this is anything more than me not correctly putting the battery correctly clipped in.

Thanks to the mud (excessive flooding in the uk) Copter and Go Pro survive, but the poor vulnerable Zenmuse is now in multiple pieces.

"It is not when we fail, but how we deal with failure" (I just made that up, but it sounds good) ;)

To all those that have loved and lost, thanks for the lessons, we respect your all.

Cheers Rob.

(My thanks to this forum and may peoples help and support continue, your assistance is always positively received)

Re: Death to my Gimbal, Thanks for the MUD ! (Advice for All

Rob98723 said:
Er, hold on a minute.

http://i57.tinypic.com/26426ip.jpg

Hmm, that still looks like power......Thoughts ?
If the battery falls out of the Phantom, It may hang by the wires for a bit before disconnecting. (Don't ask how I know) It will tilt at an angle it cannot recover from. You can see at what point the LED's go out. The props rotate a while as they are driven by the air blowing by them as the bird falls.

syotr said:
Rob98723 said:
Er, hold on a minute.

http://i57.tinypic.com/26426ip.jpg

Hmm, that still looks like power......Thoughts ?
If the battery falls out of the Phantom, It may hang by the wires for a bit before disconnecting. (Don't ask how I know) It will tilt at an angle it cannot recover from. You can see at what point the LED's go out. The props rotate a while as they are driven by the air blowing by them as the bird falls.

This was a P2 though. But you're correct that the power didn't go out until well after the spin/fall started.

My gut tells me something else triggered this...the battery falling out may be due to not being clipped in well, but that was a result and not the cause. Looks a lot like the video I have from when I threw a prop.

Props are all ok, Phantom flys ok (Once I dug it out the mud)
Very interested in any theories though

Yes its a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Gimbal (6 months old - all updated and been flying perfect for last few months)

Rob98723 said:
Props are all ok, Phantom flys ok (Once I dug it out the mud)
Very interested in any theories though

Yes its a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Gimbal (6 months old - all updated and been flying perfect for last few months)

that's amazing that it survived
i have no theories for you

consider yourself lucky that it was just the gimbal.

i'm paranoid of the battery not being clipped in so it's something i double and triple check before takeoff. i saw an old video of that happening to someone's p1 a while back and it crashed in the water.

This does not look like a contact issue (i.e. battery not all the way in). This looks like a power interruption. The LED was on at one point after the motors stopped. Same with the other thread. Concerning to say the least. You need to report this to DJI. Send them the URL to the video.

The LEDs being lit just after failure could simply be residual power in their circuitry.
One way to test this would be a controlled battery removal while the bird is held, powered up and throttled up?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik