Deal seems too good-advice?

Reaction score
I already do own a Mavic and an Inspire 1v2;
However I have been interested in the phantom 4 pro mainly because of its superior camera. Having said that I came across an ad whereas an individual has a "like brand new" he received as a gift for Christmas flown now about 3-4 times and decided not his thing. Has offered to me for $1100 Canadian dollars so in my mind [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] cheap. No extras just the one battery etc. He cannot produce a receipt so I am concerned. I know DJI will not warranty anything without a receipt - my biggest concern is if it is stolen merchandise - how could I determine that? Any suggestions?

I already do own a Mavic and an Inspire 1v2;
However I have been interested in the phantom 4 pro mainly because of its superior camera. Having said that I came across an ad whereas an individual has a "like brand new" he received as a gift for Christmas flown now about 3-4 times and decided not his thing. Has offered to me for $1100 Canadian dollars so in my mind **** cheap. No extras just the one battery etc. He cannot produce a receipt so I am concerned. I know DJI will not warranty anything without a receipt - my biggest concern is if it is stolen merchandise - how could I determine that? Any suggestions?
Guess it could be ligit, as he says it was an xmas present, but then, wouldn't they hand-over the receipt for a very expensive item in case it went wrong? So, I agree - my gut says it's a wrong'un, it's too cheap and stay away.

Yes methinks that too but guess just wanted to see if I can figure out a way to confirm it's legitimate

Spoke with him on the phone and yes it does sound like a kid; normally I like to give the benefit of a doubt but wish there was a way to confirm wether or not he was benefitting from stealing someone's bird

Hmmmm.... it's a difficult one. Perhaps ask to speak with the parents? Is he local, can you visit to inspect the kit (and speak with the parents!).

That's a tough one. One one hand you don't want to turn your back on a deal like that but on the other....

Right now I am in a similar situation but on the other side of the coin, I have flown my P4Pro 3 times and realised I don't want it. I have my P4 which flies perfectly and my Inspire for video work, a spark on the way and a Mavic in the toy cupboard. The P4Pro was an impulse purchase ($2050 Canadian) which now sits with 3 cycles on the battery.
I have it for sale for $1500 figuring it would go quickly but all i get are tire kickers wanting to kick me down even more. For $1100 I would rather hang it on the wall than sell it but maybe this guy is cut from a different cloth.

I would quiz him on technical aspects of the P4Pro, if he 'acquired' it from illegitimate sources he probably won't know much about it which will be a dead giveaway.

Easy , go test fly it if all checks out then buy it . not everyone give recipients with X-mas gifts . if your worried about it being stolen maybe you can do a serial # check .

Get the serial number and contact dji. I imagine most people would report their stolen quad to dji. I don't know if they will brick it but they can certainly say if it has been reported to them as stolen.

DJI will not help with serial numbers or stolen drones.
Then just call the police. If the guy has the box and everything then its probably legit. If dji won't brick it and the police say it hasn't been reported stolen then you've done your part. That's all you can do. A lot of things get reported stolen without a serial number because they victim doesn't have it but the s.n. is on the box and its saved in the app so there is no reason not to report the serial number if it was stolen.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie