Dead Vision on 3rd flight

Reaction score
Got the Vision on Tuesday and charged everything up and updated it, Then flew it on Wednesday with no problems. Loved it! Flew it earlier today after downloading the new update and everything was awesome! Went out to fly it a little this evening (Calibrated GPS and was blinking green lights) then after about 3 minutes of flying the vision dove out of the sky (about 50 ft in the air) and hit the ground hard. Busted the frame on one end and damaged 3 propellers and knocked the camera off and snapped the plates attached to the camera.

Any help?

Not a good thing seems like these are falling like bird crap.
Scary I see mine will be delivered on Friday and I'm scared to fly it till I
hear a fix for all these drop deads

burtonsnowab said:
Got the Vision on Tuesday and charged everything up and updated it, Then flew it on Wednesday with no problems. Loved it! Flew it earlier today after downloading the new update and everything was awesome! Went out to fly it a little this evening (Calibrated GPS and was blinking green lights) then after about 3 minutes of flying the vision dove out of the sky (about 50 ft in the air) and hit the ground hard. Busted the frame on one end and damaged 3 propellers and knocked the camera off and snapped the plates attached to the camera.

Any help?

I flew for an hour this evening on the new firmware and did not have a problem it flew flawlessly. Also you should not have recalibrated compass it was already flying fine in your previous flights.

You just say it dropped wthout giving any further descriptive information as to what the copter and what you were doing before hand. There are two stick positions which will shut off the engines regardless of where you are or how high so you sure you didn't do that?

skyhighdiver said:
Not a good thing seems like these are falling like bird crap.
Scary I see mine will be delivered on Friday and I'm scared to fly it till I
hear a fix for all these drop deads

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Problems with the Phantom 2 are more the exception than the rule. Many bugs have already been fixed and half the reported crashes have been as much to user error as an actual problem. I've been on a dozen flights with mine and have not run into any issues thus far and I'm also on the latest firmware update. Before your first flight read the manual through and all of the support videos on dji website and also read the thread on preventing and recovering a fly away as their is invaluable information in it.

I changed location which was the reason I callibrated the compass. I was flying it back and forth in an open field not going far at all. I hovered in front of me with the camera pointing down and it started drifting while in GPS mode and so I tried to correct it with the controller but then the phantom flew sideways down and fast into the ground. Was not "user" fault.

To me, sounds like, resembles, another bug. :eek:

Drifting in GPS mode (more than about 6ft in windier conditions) is a "land right now" flag to me. It could mean the compass is out of alignment, not enough to trigger the recalibrate warning, but enough that every passing second of it hunting around is compounding the error inside the NAZA. If you see drifting, knock it straight into atti mode and bring it down asap. Recalibrate, then test hover at head height for several minutes.

One of the problems of recalibrating before every flight is that unless you are certain you are not over some metal pipes underground/forgot to take your car keys and phone out of your pocket/etc, etc you might add errors into the system that weren't there beforehand.

Hope yours can be repaired easily - spares seem to be starting to be available with tier one dealers, if not in stock then for special order.

burtonsnowab said:
I changed location which was the reason I callibrated the compass. I was flying it back and forth in an open field not going far at all. I hovered in front of me with the camera pointing down and it started drifting while in GPS mode and so I tried to correct it with the controller but then the phantom flew sideways down and fast into the ground. Was not "user" fault.

Your compass recalibration was probably the cause. Unless you've moved to the other side of the continent just moving a few miles or a few hundred miles is not reason to necessitate a new compass calibration. As pull up said a lot can go wrong with a calibration if done in the wrong way or when surrounding conditions or environment are not ideal. Anyway best of luck getting your Phantom fixed up also enable Naza mode in the assistant software so you can turn on Atti mode by moving the s1 switch to center which will help if this should happen again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers