Dead Motor or Dead ESC

Reaction score
Opinions please... I believe this is a dead ESC and has probably been caused by a shorted out Motor (this was the motor with the iffy bearing I replaced).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdiVphEaa4k[/youtube]

Tell tale sign being the lack of LED!

Anyone know how to test the ESC in situe without de-soldering the whole thing?

Defective esc but you can fine one on *bay. Make sure you get the correct one (in your case the RED).

tanasit said:
Defective esc but you can fine one on *bay. Make sure you get the correct one (in your case the RED).

Thanks Tanasit. You may well be right but I probed a little deeper as I wasn't convinced on the motor itself. The motor is dead for sure and chances are it blew the ESC with it. Interestingly the ESC still lights up when powering up though.
If i wiggled the wires to the motor it beeped and stuttered. I cut it from the ESC and fiddled with it a bit and sure enough the solder had come off the Red cable going to the windings. Nigh on impossible to DIY repair safely so I'll replace the motor and hope the ESC is ok. To be honest I might get the ESC too just incase (not a bank breaker)

If only i could find a UK source for Anti-gravitys in stock I'd go for it now (with it all apart and opened up now).

Might opt for Audaciters choice of 'Torxpower 2216 Pro Short Shaft Brushless Motor 900KV' though... just a pain cause I then have to get a better soldering iron than mine to de-solder the ESCs and replace the props too... arse!

So a an update for anyone that finds this thread in the future....

I purchased a new ESC and new (stock) motor. It turns out, as suspected, it was just the motor. This is important to note as the video shows the ESC LED not working. It turns out it won't if the motor is dead! Clever ESC!

Because I decided not to de-solder the cables from the ESC board (instead I just cut them half way between the dead motor), it meant I could simply use a connecting block on them with the new motor to test if the ESC needed replacement.

Sure enough when I powered on the ESC red LED came on and all motors span up smoothly! So I removed the connecting block and soldered the new motor wires to the old cut wires (with a bit of heat shrink of course). All back together and seems to be fine!

So why the dead motor? Well that was my fault I'm pretty sure. When I fixed the bearing I must have rotated the motor wires (red black yellow) around too much when getting the motor back into the slot. This was because I was a lazy *** and tried the whole thing without taking the shell apart.

To be honest in the future if other bearings go I will always do this:

1) open the shell
2) remove motor screws of problem motor
3) Take off the e-clip/bushing
4) CAREFULLY see if the bearings just pop out of the motor by hand (which mine sure as sh1t didn't!)
5) If not I will then I will cut the wires half way between the ESC and motor (or maybe de-solder them when i get a 450 degree solder iron).
6) Make a bracket so I can clamp the motor in a vice
7) heat the motor housing carefully (with soldering iron probably)
8) ease bearings out
9) new bearings in
10) solder the wires back together (or resolder to ESC) and tightly heatshrink any joint.

I had clearly messed with the windings when I repaired the bearings and once that happens its nearly impossible to get a clean repair.

I have no doubt at all that others will have less trouble than I did (many say their bearings popped out no problem) but just be aware it isn't always the case.

Hope others finds this in helpful in the future. At least I now have a spare unopened red ESC to hand too!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik