Dead lipo battery cell

Reaction score
Hello there, I have a 3 cell 2700mah lipo battery that has one completely dead cell. The other two cells are good but the one read 0.00. Is there anyway to save this cell? Because my charger won't let me charge it at all. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hello there, I have a 3 cell 2700mah lipo battery that has one completely dead cell. The other two cells are good but the one read 0.00. Is there anyway to save this cell? Because my charger won't let me charge it at all. Thanks!

I believe you are pretty much dead. These batteries typically have a "smart" (meaning small dedicated microprocessor) on board to montor all the cells and prevent unhappy smoky things happening. The ones I have disassembled had a bewildering number of tiny wires hooking all the cells to this monitoring board. It can be done, but it is really not worth the work.

Agreed.

This sounds like a non-DJI smart battery???
Not worth time or effort, even more so if my above guess is correct.

Take the advice of others as well as your charger's 'warning'.

Oh no this was a battery for one of my fpv racing quadcopters. I thought I would just ask on here to see if anyone had any suggestions

Well What you could do... Is use any type of charger and just charge the one dead cell.. Get the cell above 3v once it's above 3v this way your charger will allow it to change ...put it on your charger and charge it at like .1 amp or a VERY slow rate.. I have seen lipos come back before.. It's def gonna be hurt no doubt about it.. And it will never perform like it did before the cell hit zero.. But if you do this it may still be usable.. I just would I wouldn't trust or depend on it too much after that.

If you charge just the one cell, do it though the balance lead, this will not take long at all.. All you gotta do is jump the cell so to say, the voltage will spike right back up real quick and then you should be good to charge again with your normal charger..

Use a lipo back! Lipos can be very dangoirus if you don't know what your doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very dangerous.
Poor advice.

The cell has failed for a reason.
Forcing current into it is very dangerous.

Charging accidents and trauma are the main causes for LiPo accidents.

Tricky to say the least. IE: You usually have to cut it open, figure out the bad cell, hope the other cells OR the protection circuit does not interfere with you, use a controlled current and voltage lab power supply, and have a good idea how much current you initially want to pump into it. In other words just find some thing that looks like it might be a battery charger, hook it up to something there and plug it in....simple.. Put it under your bed to keep it cool. Or in the garage with the riding mower, weedeater and chainsaw. Go to Wal Mart and get a snack.

Just kidding Cammer. I have tried more times than I would like to admit with power tool batteries, and for one reason or another just never came out ahead in the long run.

Very dangerous.
Poor advice.

The cell has failed for a reason.
Forcing current into it is very dangerous.

Charging accidents and trauma are the main causes for LiPo accidents.

Pretty sure I mentioned that it was "very dangourus" I also stated not to do it if you didn't know what you were doing.. I also stated to use a lipo bag.. I also stated that the cell is hurt and will never be what it once was..

Poor advise? I think not.

I simply stated what you "could do" Iv done it before and have seen it done.. I had a buddy who had a bad cell.. I had an old nimh charger that only put out very very low amps.. I used a volt meter/dvom across the balance leads to figure out which exact cell was bad.. Then used the same method with a jumper harness I made to come out of the bad cell on the balance lead and the negitive/ground on the balance lead.. Then charged it with the charger for littlerally maybe 10-30 seconds at most.. when the cell is that low it comes up fast.. Almost like it needs a kick start.. Once i did that his normal lipo charger was able to read it.. We set it to .1 amps and let it charge for nearly a day.. After that the pack WAS usable.. But not for the same purpose.. We ended up using the pack for a small field monitor he had to power it.. It did the job but obviously never had the same power output or life span that it once had...

Again I made sure he knew the dangors.. Made sure he knew that if you don't know what you are doing then don't try it.. Told him to use a lipo bag, and informed him that even if he does do this and it works.. That the lipo will never be the same again.. And to be very careful.

Again I was just listing what you COULD do.. Not what you SHOULD do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1