Dead Gimbal not showing up in Phantom 2 Assistant

Reaction score
I have a crashed gimbal that was disassembled, straightened and reassembled.
It hangs lifeless when I turn on my Phantom 2.
The green LED comes on; it does not show up in the Phantom 2 Assistant, even in older versions (back to 1.8 version of Assistant)
By searching this forum, I figured out how to reset the gimbal by connecting two pins on the plate of the gimbal and I can start it so that the red LED comes on instead of green. It still will not show up in Phantom 2 Assistant. I have tried using Mac versions and Windows versions (some folks posted that using older versions helped them)

Has anyone else had to do this and have any further tips to offer?

I have a crashed gimbal that was disassembled, straightened and reassembled.
It hangs lifeless when I turn on my Phantom 2.
The green LED comes on; it does not show up in the Phantom 2 Assistant, even in older versions (back to 1.8 version of Assistant)
By searching this forum, I figured out how to reset the gimbal by connecting two pins on the plate of the gimbal and I can start it so that the red LED comes on instead of green. It still will not show up in Phantom 2 Assistant. I have tried using Mac versions and Windows versions (some folks posted that using older versions helped them)

Has anyone else had to do this and have any further tips to offer?

What gimbal were you using prior to this one?? Was this your repaired gimbal or did you buy it used?? Could be that the ribbon cable is damaged some where between the three motors or was plugged completely into one of the sockets.

You may have to login to get the latest software for the gimbal. Gimbal software for the H3-3D should be 1.0.0.12.

What gimbal were you using prior to this one?? Was this your repaired gimbal or did you buy it used?? Could be that the ribbon cable is damaged some where between the three motors or was plugged completely into one of the sockets.

You may have to login to get the latest software for the gimbal. Gimbal software for the H3-3D should be 1.0.0.12.

Thanks so much for the reply! I don't feel so all alone now! :)

This is a H4-3D gimbal that I crashed. I already purchased another one. I decided to try my hand at repairing my wrecked one. I disassembled it, straightened it, replaced the long gimbal ribbon cable (then new one from China installed fairly easily and all points are plugged in snuggly) , and reassembled it. When I turn on the bird, the green LED turns on but the gimbal hangs limp. (I was hoping that getting the green light meant that it really WANTS to work.....) This forum showed how to reset the gimbal, so I did that. When resetting, you want the gimbal LED to turn red when starting the bird and I have achieved that. From that point on, it does not do for me what others report. I reset it, plug it in to my computer, and then turn on Phantom 2 Assistant. I go to the UPDATE tab and my gimbal does not show up at all. I cannot tell which software I have because I cannot get the gimbal to register at all in Assistant.

I was hoping someone had run into this before, had a mind-blowing easy fix, and that I would not have to get another long gimbal ribbon cable from China and try again.

Again, thanks for your help.

Terry

Thanks so much for the reply! I don't feel so all alone now! :)

This is a H4-3D gimbal that I crashed. I already purchased another one. I decided to try my hand at repairing my wrecked one. I disassembled it, straightened it, replaced the long gimbal ribbon cable (then new one from China installed fairly easily and all points are plugged in snuggly) , and reassembled it. When I turn on the bird, the green LED turns on but the gimbal hangs limp. (I was hoping that getting the green light meant that it really WANTS to work.....) This forum showed how to reset the gimbal, so I did that. When resetting, you want the gimbal LED to turn red when starting the bird and I have achieved that. From that point on, it does not do for me what others report. I reset it, plug it in to my computer, and then turn on Phantom 2 Assistant. I go to the UPDATE tab and my gimbal does not show up at all. I cannot tell which software I have because I cannot get the gimbal to register at all in Assistant.

I was hoping someone had run into this before, had a mind-blowing easy fix, and that I would not have to get another long gimbal ribbon cable from China and try again.

Again, thanks for your help.

Terry

Terry it is possible you also damaged 8 pin cable feeding the gimbal as well and that comes in a cable kit.
DJI Cable Pack for Phantom 2 Quadcopter (Part 3) CP.PT.000095

Good thought, and thanks for the effort for the link. I have a new H4-3D gimbal that works fine with the existing 8 pin connector. I'm stumped.

It wasn't the new gimbal I was referring to. There is also the possibility that you damaged the module in the crashed gimbal and that's why you're not getting the info on the P2's upgrade page. Had you opened the gimbals circuit board under the yaw motor when replacing the ribbon??

Terry did you see your other post about the antenna I left you two links.

It wasn't the new gimbal I was referring to. There is also the possibility that you damaged the module in the crashed gimbal and that's why you're not getting the info on the P2's upgrade page. Had you opened the gimbals circuit board under the yaw motor when replacing the ribbon??

I didn't open it before. I so just did. It all looked intact. When I was closing it, I slipped and tore my main ribbon cable. :(:mad::( I enjoy the challenge of getting it going again, so will probably order another long ribbon cable from China and start all over. When I tear it down again, I will check the remaining two circuit boards while I have it apart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20