Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

De-charging battery

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Skbaja, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Skbaja

Apr 29, 2014
    Wondering if anyone has a trick to de-charge the battery fully after use? I usually quit with at least 29%. I have tried running it out, but it doesn't seem to do it.

I tried turning the battery on with the gopro attached and letting it sit. I do see the battery de-charging, but didn't know if this was bad for the Phantom to be sitting there with LED"s blinking as the battery de charges.

Any tips?

2. Great Pumpkin

Feb 23, 2014
    I discharge my batteries in two ways. If I want to discharge to near zero, I bring the Phantom in from a flight and force it to hover about 3 feet off the ground until its charge level is about 6-8%. During that time, the Phantom will try its darndest to land, so you have to work to keep it in the air with the left throttle stick. Then I let it land gently and shut it off. If I want to discharge a fully charged battery down to about 50%, then I either fly it down to that level or indoors I turn on just the battery while it is in the Phantom and let the lights blink. Maybe after 2-3 hours, just two green battery lights will blink indicating that it is discharged to about 50%.
    Do not discharge a battery all the way to zero, and don't store a battery fully charged or fully discharged. The DJI manual will tell you to store a battery charged at around 50%.
    By the way, Skbaja, welcome to the forum and please put your location into your profile.

ps: I should have added that my batteries are over a year old and are NOT the newer smart batteries.
  3. jason

Oct 12, 2014
    I run my batteries down to 15% and once at home I'll finish discharging them to 8% while connected to the assistant software. I do this while editing video footage that way I can see the progress of the discharge.

Just plug the phantom into the software and turn the battery on but don't walk away for a couple of hours as it doesn't take that long to go from 15 to 8 percent.