DBS02 and MaXXRange

Reaction score
Hi all -

I originally ordered the DBS02 range extender, modded my remote, and was pretty happy with the results. I live in a pretty heavy RF interference area, and saw some moderate range increase from the DBS02.

When the MaxxRange larger antenna was released, I ordered the unit (just the antenna) from Jake. So far, in my normal RF busy area and in another, more open area, I have seen almost identical range performance from the 2 antennas, which seems really odd.

Has anyone else seen this? Could I have a faulty MaxxRange unit?

I saw little range improvement between the 2 antennas also but I certainly did gain some extra range with the larger antenna just not what I was hoping for.

I then ordered the 3w boosters from Jake at MaxxUAV and that really gave me the range I was looking for in the city. I can fly 3 miles away now from inside my back yard sliding glass door. I can certainly recommend the Boosters.

Powering 3w Boosters from Phantoms Remote Battery!

I haven't seen the gains expected from the readings on this forum and other online stuff. Personally, I think it works great in an open field, however the "penetration" I was expecting just isn't panning out.

Hey guys, first, make sure you aren't using a manual channel with the MaxxRange, it's picky about what channel it's on. I find I get the best results by leaving it on Auto.

Also, if you haven't already, read through this FAQ page, you may find something helpful: Maxx UAV

Thanks Jake. I definitely noticed range increase from standard to DBS02. And a slight increase to Maxx. Just not much given the size of the unit. I understand there are many factors, and maybe the area I live in and have been flying in is the issue.

Hey guys, first, make sure you aren't using a manual channel with the MaxxRange, it's picky about what channel it's on. I find I get the best results by leaving it on Auto.

Also, if you haven't already, read through this FAQ page, you may find something helpful: Maxx UAV

BTW Jake - I assume that since I'm getting the same range with the Maxxrange, that I can assume it's working correctly? I would assume if there were an issue with the unit, it wouldn't provide even DBS02 range, correct?

Damager, check out your cables. I reopened my RC and found the soldering visible and thinning out and requested new cables and washers from Jake. At first, I was getting better range than stock, about 20-30% better. The last few weeks I've been getting about 60-70% of stock. Will see how the new cables work out.
Again, even at its best, the "penetration" is less than I expected - maybe my expectation was too high?

Hi D -

I'm confused on your message - what soldering are you referring to? How would changing cables have any affect on that?

BTW Jake - I assume that since I'm getting the same range with the Maxxrange, that I can assume it's working correctly? I would assume if there were an issue with the unit, it wouldn't provide even DBS02 range, correct?
It really is hard to say because it depends on what kind of interference you're trying to fly through. Do you have the ability to fly somewhere else and compare the antennas?

It really is hard to say because it depends on what kind of interference you're trying to fly through. Do you have the ability to fly somewhere else and compare the antennas?

I'll do that, but in general, it seems true that if there was something wrong (i.e. miswiring or manufacturing defect) in a Maxxrange unit I wouldn't be able to fly a mile out with it, correct? I'm assuming that I would NOT get anywhere near this range without a working antenna of any kind on the controller.

I have been using the DBS02 and then ordered the Maxxrange antenna, before reading this thread.
Might not have ordered it if I had read this thread first. Now it has arrived and I have had time to compare a little bit.

Since the results people get vary greatly based on their environment – seems like the more folks that weigh in the better perspective we should get. I have compared two locations so far (unboosted).

1) Highly wooded area – flying above a narrow river – pretty tough signal conditions:
(I did not get much benefit for the MAXXRANGE over the DBS02 here – both about 50% better than stock)
- consistently reached 2400 ft distance from home point stock at 300’ altitude
- the DBS02 reaches 3600 feet before losing video feet completely at 300’
- starts cutting in/out about 3400 ft.
- the MAXRANGE about the same as the DBS02, but is more stable, doesn’t cut in/out at 3400 ft,
but for this condition it’s not helping me much.

2) Over water dotted with small Islands – very clear line of sight – but must be getting some interference
over the islands.
(The MAXXRANGE performed significantly better than the DBS02 here)
- never flew this stock
- the DBS02 starts losing data transmission at 5200 feet, 240 ft altitude – increased altitude to 350 ft.
then lost signal at 5800 ft – raised altitude to 400 ft – no help. Health drones info indicates I lost data signal 8 times before I gave up and backed away from the desired location.
- the MAXXRANGE was rock solid to 6200 feet at 240 ft altitude – as this was where I wanted to take
pictures – was able to spend several minutes circling POI’s from 200 to 400 feet altitude with no
signal loss at all. Can’t quote a higher distance from home because this was where I wanted to take
pictures. In this case the MAXXRANGE enabled me to get the pictures I wanted. Was able to focus on
getting the images I wanted vs fiddling with channels / alt/ antenna position, etc trying to keep the
video transmitting. Health drones info indicates no lost data signal for the entire flight.

So for me – I’ll put on the MAXXRANGE when I’m trying to take picture a mile or so away – for most of my flying I’ll probably use the less bulky dbs02.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1