DBS ver 3 mod for phantom 3 4k

Reaction score
Hi all just got dbs kit for Phantom 3 4K wiring to ports from to board any pics !

Hi all just got dbs kit for Phantom 3 4K wiring to ports from to board any pics !
It's like doing a Pro/Adv other than the cables go to the bottom side and you have ribbons if you mess up ..well you have messed up .
wifi unit.JPG the 2 cables to the right side are 2.4 and the one on top is 5.8 .
I will try and find the video I used to go by when I did mine .

Reactions: snowy23
It's like doing a Pro/Adv other than the cables go to the bottom side and you have ribbons if you mess up ..well you have messed up .
View attachment 56449 the 2 cables to the right side are 2.4 and the one on top is 5.8 .
I will try and find the video I used to go by when I did mine .
This is what I watched to do mine . Now here he takes the cables out, I just cut mine and left the short pieces in but did take the antenna panels out .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I can't find another how to but know there is one .
Now this is mine and if you have more questions ask but do watch the ribbons at the Wi-Fi unit !!
IMG_4621.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: snowy23
Thanks bro will check it out when i get in from work.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi Dirkclod modded the transmitter, range is quiet erractic hit a max of 620 meters but most flights are no better that stock unit tryed different location goes from full transmitter/video signals to loss of signal/rth around 220 meters a bit dissapointing to say the least am i missing or over looked something !

Well other than having your cable crossed ..like your 5.8 into a 2.4 port or you just haven't figured out how to aim that panel
or not having one of the cables inside set right I'm not sure at the moment what to tell you . Is possible you have a bad TX as I have seen some have . Check and be sure your hooked up right and just keep trying . You certainly should be getting better than that .
Is also possible one of your cables are bad . Have had new ones that weren't good ,switched em out and Bam .
Now I'm in FCC mode but have hit 20,000' in a noise free area low so I know it works well .Took all my battery but it will do it .

Will re/check cables tonight does the 5.8 go from port 1 to the bottom right corner of the tran module and the 2.4 to ports 2 and 3 a decent pic/diagram would be big help thanks.

wifi unit.JPG

5.8 is the top one and goes to port 1 on panel . Other 2 are your 2.4's and go to port 2 and 3 .I haven't seen where it matters which but haven't had any issues .If I did I would switch them just to see .

Big Thanks Dirkclod
Had 5.8 cable wrong swaped it and took it out today to a different location and pleased to let you know i hit
1860 meters both trans/vid signal well pleased there could be more by angling the antenna like you suggested
once again thank you for all your advice.:)

Hello, I'm planning to get the dbs mod for my P3 4K, I see this as a great work around that 4K without lightbridge (of course lightbridge + dbs mod is something else, but even then, it's going to be limited by the battery limit.) Can I check how is the different in video feed before and after installing the dbs mod? Can it be compared to the lightbridge for FPV flying? How far do you fly and still get a good video feed? Thanks. I only use windsurfer and but still lose the video signal at around 300m and fly only using the googlemap. I live in a highly populated area with many BTS around.

Last edited:
Not ever having Lightbridge I can't compare it to the P3 4K and have FPV as far as it will go and that here in my area is 3.5 to 4 miles .
I have took mine over 20,000' but pushed the battery as far as it would go . Battery is the limit . That's just straight out and back .
My feed is great but unlike where your at I have no wi-fi interference .
There is no difference in the quality the before and after video signal with this panel or was not for me .

Reactions: jeganx
Wow this is a great help. Thanks Dirkclod. I did post a new thread but was asking for more detail and will keep it atm if you don't mind.

I have recently purchased the itelite dbs phantom 3 long range extended FPV antenna kit. I watched the video on this post and was wondering if anyone can tell me where to buy the cables to locate the antenna connection through the existing antenna points. Im located in Australia so any online links or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.PNG
    IMG_0932.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 267
Quadcopter if your referring to my post let me explain. Unfortunately not everyone has your knowledge when it comes to certain issues. So for instance, say I dropped my remote snapping off one of the antennas. According to DJI they don't make replacements so, without your knowledge, I was up for $485AU for a new one. The antenna I purchased was $180AU which was a cheaper option. If I even knew what 5.8ghz or 2.4ghz was I probably would have just bought one and mounted it up. That's what I thought these forums were for??? Not to be made look like an idiot obviously I picked the wrong forum to ask for help and it's a DJI know it all forum. On another note I would like to thank Dirkclod for the video he posted for someone who needed to know how to do something it was extremely helpful.

Jeytea cables were included but unless I'm missing something, you are required to drill two holes through the top half of the casing and blank the existing antenna holes. The male thread on the cables are to short to protrude through the existing antenna holes and I think they would need to be an elbow fitting so it doesn't interfere with part of the controls as in the how to video. Just thought it was a neater way to do it.

Quadcopter if your referring to my post let me explain. Unfortunately not everyone has your knowledge when it comes to certain issues. So for instance, say I dropped my remote snapping off one of the antennas. According to DJI they don't make replacements so, without your knowledge, I was up for $485AU for a new one. The antenna I purchased was $180AU which was a cheaper option. If I even knew what 5.8ghz or 2.4ghz was I probably would have just bought one and mounted it up. That's what I thought these forums were for??? Not to be made look like an idiot obviously I picked the wrong forum to ask for help and it's a DJI know it all forum. On another note I would like to thank Dirkclod for the video he posted for someone who needed to know how to do something it was extremely helpful.
Um what.. First of all i'm not a know it all, that's why I asked the question and I wasn't asking the question to make you look stupid I was asking the question because I didn't know.

Because the process of installing the DBS is exactly the same as say buying a 5.8 ghz antenna and 2,4 ghz antenna but at a cheaper price. I just didn't know if there is something that makes the DBS better than say just buying an antenna..

QC - the DBS (ITELITE) antenna is an extraordinary antenna. That's why people buy it.

Re the mod: You got your transmitter inside a plastic box. Actually you have three transmitters - one for the 5.8 and two for the 2.4. Your plan is to improve the 5.8 antenna, and then also bring the 2.4 antenna outside the box while at the same time improving it.

The cool thing about doing mods is it's YOUR mod. You don't have to follow somebody's advice or recommendation if you don't want to. You can do it any way you want and you're limited only by your imagination.

The reason you want to drill holes and fit antenna couplers to your controller is so that you can hot-swap antennas from/to your controller very quickly and easily. With a coupler, you can fit any antenna on there that you want because there is a standard for antennas. Almost all RC antennas have a RP-SMA Male end. That means you want a RP-SMA Female end sticking out of your controller. And this is true for all your transmitters - all three of them.

SMA-and-TNC-Connector1.jpg

The ITELITE comes with the correct cable which you would install onto your controller, that is, the RP SMA Female.

With that installed, you can connect the ITELITE to your controller, or any other antenna.

But nobody is holding a gun to your head to force you to drill holes. If you wanted, you could simply run the cables straight out of the transmitter and connect directly to the ITELITE without a coupler. This would give you the benefit of less signal lose, since we know there is signal loss for each coupling the signal is forced through. And if you're a distance guy, that's probably the best way to go.

But then you wouldn't be able to hot swap to other antennas quite as easily since you now have cables dangling out of your controller instead of a coupler firmly attached to your controller.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: jeganx

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31