Dbs or Fpvlr?

I did if I have the radio channel on auto the slider is not there I have to put the radio channel setting then I see the slider you showed me when it first shows up when I switch to manual its at 8mbps then switches to 4mbps on its own. It almost end seem to me as that is auto set with the channels when set to auto and maybe on my counter inside it thought 8mbps was the best choice because it defaults back to 4mbps when I go to manual because that was the first time I have touched that setting! Thanks for the help I will play with that in the field tomorrow if I get lucky enough on weather.
I had never noticed what you're saying. It might be because I always fly manual, so I can manually set my radio channel to a channel with the least noise. You definitely want your bird transmission quality set to 4mbps, it improves range a lot. If it requires manual to set to 4mbps, then use manual and select a quiet channel.

Regardless of what antenna modification you do, just be darn sure you have a note on you preflight checklist to "DOUBLE CHECK ALL ANTENNA CABLE CONNECTIONS."Accidentally leaving a cable loose or partially unscrewed could toast your transmitter. It's easier to make this mistake than you might think, especially if you get in a hurry, or get distracted during your preflight.....which almost always happens....especially if bystanders are milling about trying to chat you up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NormanNormal
Regardless of what antenna modification you do, just be darn sure you have a note on you preflight checklist to "DOUBLE CHECK ALL ANTENNA CABLE CONNECTIONS."Accidentally leaving a cable loose or partially unscrewed could toast your transmitter. It's easier to make this mistake than you might think, especially if you get in a hurry, or get distracted during your preflight.....which almost always happens....especially if bystanders are milling about trying to chat you up.

Good point. I thought of this too. I am going to put a reminder label next to my power button.

That is why I never disconnect my DBS mods from the RC that it is on. Just too many things could go wrong by constantly taking it off and on.
I now have it on the slave controller for my inspire 1 and I can link that controller up to the P3P, P4 or the inspire 1 for longer flights plus as an added bonus the Inspire controller hooked to the P4 allows the use of the HDMI output.

Thank you for the replys I have took the advice and went Dbs without boosters "for now" I will report my results when I get it here and installed!! I did fly with my friend yesterday and he has a new p3p and I had the p4, flying at separate times, I started to get weak video warning just past 6000ft after I landed he flew the same rout with the p3p and got weak video warning around 5,500ft. I am in no way saying the p4 has better range I know the are variables and it sounds as the p3p gets better range for the most part. I was actually disappointed in both as we are on a island in Alaska flying over the pacific with no obstacles or interference I figure we should have got more the 1/3 the advertised range! Any way thanks agin and good luck out there.
If you haven't already purchased, we sell complete kits at Maxx UAV - Use coupon code LUCKY7

Is there anyone around that does the DBS mod (i.e.: send the controller out for them to do it - charge for the equipment and for the mod itself)?

Is there anyone around that does the DBS mod (i.e.: send the controller out for them to do it - charge for the equipment and for the mod itself)?

Yeah,send it out to me, I'll do this to it!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459346597.888624.jpg

Got 40,500' oneway couple days ago with that controller &stock P3standard

If you haven't already purchased, we sell complete kits at Maxx UAV - Use coupon code LUCKY7
Buy from this guy Alaska... His customer service is the best. No one better. Plus he has the "pass through" plugs that eliminate the need for drilling your remote! YIKES... No turning back after you drill it.

MaxxUAV does it for $100. But honestly I think most people can knock it out... Go slow and research.

If you buy from MAXX UAV, Jake throws in a set of Antenna Pass Through's... These take one of the hardest parts out of the install... Drilling the stupid holes.

I like the plugs because if PUSH CAME TO SHOVE, you COULD, put it back to stock assuming you didn't "clip" the stock cables inside, like DBS does, you some how save the stock antennas.

Buy from this guy Alaska... His customer service is the best. No one better. Plus he has the "pass through" plugs that eliminate the need for drilling your remote! YIKES... No turning back after you drill it.

Yeah but if were talking about the PIII standard remote pass thru plug is not going to help, because you'll have three SMA connectors to hook up to the DBS panel and the PIII standard remote obviously only has one antenna port

Yeah,send it out to me, I'll do this to it!View attachment 48981
Got 40,500' oneway couple days ago with that controller &stock P3standard
Yeah but if were talking about the PIII standard remote pass thru plug is not going to help, because you'll have three SMA connectors to hook up to the DBS panel and the PIII standard remote obviously only has one antenna port
Sorry guys, for whatever reason I totally thought we was in the P3 standard section. I just realized this is a P4 post!!!
I'll quietly put my head down and walk away now[emoji41]

Reactions: John Locke
With standard battery and over the city with as much WiFi interference as you could possibly have I have pushed my p3a out to 18,000 with dropouts and several lost connections with my FPVLR with amps. Last night I switched to my other remote with DBS no amps. I did an easy 19200 feet and landed with 14% battery. The connection was lower but steady at 30-35%with no drops outs at the furthest point. To me, it's clear. Apples for apples DBS is the way to go.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
There's a reason why the dbs itelite antenna holds all the distance records . It's the most thought out and complete antenna on the market . It's durable, compact and easy to aim. And it packs a big punch . Doesn't get any better!!

Great news I will try it out tomorrow. I won't be able to test for range just that it works. But I did find out that my stock P4 had as much range as my stock inspire one or P3P of course for the money nothing beats the simple windsurfer. now if the HDMI on the inspire controller would work also I would be in heaven.
I have the one-piece foil vacuumed printed Windsurfer and have had very good luck in my heavily forrested pine tree 'hood and I also have the FPVLR antennae without the boosters. My experience is pretty muck like others in forest land but the FPVLR works great through the pine trees. For some reason that is too technical for me to understand the pine trees are supposedly the worst of all trees in trying to penetrate. As it was explained to me the needles somehow scramble the signal more like trying to go through a metal window screen. While I don't get twice the distance with the FPVLR antennae versus the Windsurfer I do get around 5800' if I fly NE with the Windsurfer and and around 9000' with the unboosted FPVLR antennae.

That's at 400' AGL which wouldn't be so great for whale watching. At 100' I'm limited to about 1/2 a mile. But you should be getting a lot better than what you're getting over open water if you are flying from the coast and not through trees. I've also noticed that there are different results on different days. Using Litchi waypoints I sometimes have to raise the remote higher to keep clear video at the outskirts of where I fly where on some days it goes to the same waypoint with no problem. I have obtained a 10' RG-58 cable extension I'm going to mount on a piece of PVC pipe and see how that works out with the FPVLR antennae. A very slight cable loss but hopefully better video.and it should be easier to orient towards the Phantom 3 as I can rotate the antenna without being contorted trying to view the screen without the sky reflections and aligning the antennae. I've seen some that lose controller signal before video but I've never had that problem. I lose video and still have 90-100% on the controller side. Sometimes just moving position 30-50' laterally can make a difference.

BTW I also have the HeadPlay goggles but I just can't get used to the thing being on my head and am not comfortable using it. It does solve the sky reflection though and much easier to see what's going on with the numbers. Using a Shield tablet's HDMI out means I can see the same screen as the tablet rather than the limited data with the add-on HDMI out on the remote. What I did was compromise and made a large hood for the tablet and so far it's worked good for my 73 year old eyes.

Reactions: lone droner
My experience with windsurfer and DBS02 is that they are both within about 2500 feet of each other. The DBS02 gives greater range unless there is a cell tower in its field of view. Not sure why this is the case, but I have flown repeated Litchi missions where I get great range flying away from the tower, but lots of DBS02 dropouts when flying towards it. I get almost no dropouts with my windsurfers.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj