Dbs or Fpvlr?

Reaction score
Hello all you long range experts I am looking into ordering a set up for better range and am trying to decide between Dbs or Fpvlr? I am thinking I am going to start without boosters. Can boosters be added later to either choice? Is either one better then the other for areas with lots of trees? I am new to phantoms but am already l pushing it to the upper limits of the stock p4 range and want to keep going. I am getting weak video warning around 6000ft out over water at elv 200ft in a area that should not have much interference that I am aware of. Thanks for any tips. I have heard this is a opinionated subject so let's hear some opinions.

I have the FPVLR v2 boosted kit and my personal distance record is 23,000 ft. but that is with a P3 Pro. I still had good FPV and control signal at that point but had to turn around since I was using a stock battery. Landed at 2% on the battery.

Sadly, I think even with a FPVLR booster kit you're only gonna get 12-15,000 ft. on the P4 :(

That's the best choice. Start with RC antenna mod only, see what you get, then add amps later if you desire more range. Once you add amps you have the amps, batteries, more cabling, weight, & complexity.

Both DBS & FVPLR offer great products & both seem to offer good performance. The itellite (DBS) antennas are a bit more durable & compact. FVPLR are a bit bulkier but offer that really cool "ray gun" appearance. You'll need to either install/remove them after each use, or get a custom case so you can store the RC with antenna attached. I'd probably go the latter route rather than constantly having to install. Also its not a bad idea to keep an eye out for a spare stock RC so you have one for everyday flying without all the extra hardware. Takes only a moment to bind.

Hello all you long range experts I am looking into ordering a set up for better range and am trying to decide between Dbs or Fpvlr? I am thinking I am going to start without boosters. Can boosters be added later to either choice? Is either one better then the other for areas with lots of trees? I am new to phantoms but am already l pushing it to the upper limits of the stock p4 range and want to keep going. I am getting weak video warning around 6000ft out over water at elv 200ft in a area that should not have much interference that I am aware of. Thanks for any tips. I have heard this is a opinionated subject so let's hear some opinions.

They are both great setups . I personally have had better results with the dbs and I really like the quick release mount . Environmental factors play a big role as well.

Thank you for the replys I have took the advice and went Dbs without boosters "for now" I will report my results when I get it here and installed!! I did fly with my friend yesterday and he has a new p3p and I had the p4, flying at separate times, I started to get weak video warning just past 6000ft after I landed he flew the same rout with the p3p and got weak video warning around 5,500ft. I am in no way saying the p4 has better range I know the are variables and it sounds as the p3p gets better range for the most part. I was actually disappointed in both as we are on a island in Alaska flying over the pacific with no obstacles or interference I figure we should have got more the 1/3 the advertised range! Any way thanks agin and good luck out there.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
There are stock setups that have flown further than that distance according to this post.

Official P4 Range Leaderboard

I'm glad they are getting that range out of stock I would of been happy with those results but hey for $109 I would have probably bought the dbs setup anyway! After iPad Air 2 cellular, 4 extra battery's, micro-raptor case, filters, straps, ect $3000 came quick so what is $109 if it really improves range as well as it has for "most" others. JMO Have a nice day

Reactions: ringolong
I'm glad they are getting that range out of stock I would of been happy with those results but hey for $109 I would have probably bought the dbs setup anyway! After iPad Air 2 cellular, 4 extra battery's, micro-raptor case, filters, straps, ect $3000 came quick so what is $109 if it really improves range as well as it has for "most" others. JMO Have a nice day

I will be controlling mine with my inspire radio that has the dbs mod :D

Between those two choices, the DBS is my preference due to being easier to store in a case. The Think Tank backpack accepts it without having to remove the antenna setup. Removing an antenna is a big hassle with those SMA nuts never wanting to come off very easily. I have an FPVLR on another craft and it works OK, but it's ergonomically flimsy and ugly. DBS has a clean look and goes pretty far without amps.
Since you're new, you may want to consider a $25 3D printed windsurfer. That's what I use now because it's light (I backpack my bird a lot), convenient, and inexpensive. I like the two piece version (one for each antenna) because they are easier to store separately in a backpack versus the one piece unit. I got 15,000' distance yesterday with my P4 using windsurfer, and the battery had about 38% left from that distance test. I flew straight out and straight back. Windsurfer requires no RC modification, so it won't void your warranty. You simply slip them over the antenna when you want to go far. Or, if you want to be omni-directional for convenience, start a flight without windsurfer installed, then you start getting a weak signal, simply slip them on for a directional antenna to go farther. About half of my flying I don't need windsurfer, but the other half I'm glad I have it to go "the extra mile". For $25 it's a great option for a simple solution that gets you out 3mi. Also, you won't get yourself in trouble as easy battery-wise staying within 3mi.

Last edited:
Reactions: gppms and Techcop50
Thanks for the tips John Locke! I the wind surfers sound like a nice feature for cheap. I wish I could find another radio used to modify I never considered the warranty. So the stock setup is omni-directional? I was not sure if it was or not just was having that talk with a friend. How is the Dbs compared to stock as far as directional? I read that the Dbs was less directional then the fpvlr set up one of my several reasons for ordering the Dbs over the fpvlr. Also now that I have the Dbs setup coming and never considered the warranty how often is the warranty needed on the remote are they pretty reliable? Would the warranty on the actual bird be void for simply upgrading the remote to get there advertised range? I would hope not I can understand the remote warranty being voided as the remote has been opened and altered even though I blame them for the need since I am currently getting 1/3 the range it should at best and considerably less over land. I'm in Alaska with unlimited film plans for this bird like the stikine river 5 miles from my house with 100's of big glaciers and waterfalls. 3 miles was my selling point when I see the whales feeding 1 mile or so in front of my house I want to fly out and film this getting sketchy at a mile or less is a bit disappointing! I can't lie I love my p4 it's awesome and solid compared to the 250's and blade qx and ect I am use to, but I got lightbridge and want my 3 miles! Rant over sorry. Thanks agin for the tips and all the info you guys share I have been reading here for a couple few months and have learned a lot from you all keep it up phantompilots is the best

I will be controlling mine with my inspire radio that has the dbs mod :D
Can you do that I have an inspire RC that is set up with DBS already if so I could just use it for long distant flight on my Inspire 1, P3P or P4 it doesn't take hardly any time to link up.

Can you do that I have an inspire RC that is set up with DBS already if so I could just use it for long distant flight on my Inspire 1, P3P or P4 it doesn't take hardly any time to link up.

Yup! I use it for my inspire and p3p, but I am still waiting on my p4 to arrive. It is confirmed to work with it also.

Reactions: Richard in ky
Great news I will try it out tomorrow. I won't be able to test for range just that it works. But I did find out that my stock P4 had as much range as my stock inspire one or P3P of course for the money nothing beats the simple windsurfer. now if the HDMI on the inspire controller would work also I would be in heaven.

Great news I will try it out tomorrow. I won't be able to test for range just that it works. But I did find out that my stock P4 had as much range as my stock inspire one or P3P of course for the money nothing beats the simple windsurfer. now if the HDMI on the inspire controller would work also I would be in heaven.

The hdmi worked for my p3p so I guess it will work for the p4 too. Just make sure you have hdmi out enabled while linked to your inspire before linking to your phantoms.

Thanks for the tips John Locke! I the wind surfers sound like a nice feature for cheap. I wish I could find another radio used to modify I never considered the warranty. So the stock setup is omni-directional? I was not sure if it was or not just was having that talk with a friend. How is the Dbs compared to stock as far as directional? I read that the Dbs was less directional then the fpvlr set up one of my several reasons for ordering the Dbs over the fpvlr. Also now that I have the Dbs setup coming and never considered the warranty how often is the warranty needed on the remote are they pretty reliable? Would the warranty on the actual bird be void for simply upgrading the remote to get there advertised range? I would hope not I can understand the remote warranty being voided as the remote has been opened and altered even though I blame them for the need since I am currently getting 1/3 the range it should at best and considerably less over land. I'm in Alaska with unlimited film plans for this bird like the stikine river 5 miles from my house with 100's of big glaciers and waterfalls. 3 miles was my selling point when I see the whales feeding 1 mile or so in front of my house I want to fly out and film this getting sketchy at a mile or less is a bit disappointing! I can't lie I love my p4 it's awesome and solid compared to the 250's and blade qx and ect I am use to, but I got lightbridge and want my 3 miles! Rant over sorry. Thanks agin for the tips and all the info you guys share I have been reading here for a couple few months and have learned a lot from you all keep it up phantompilots is the best
Make sure your downstream bit rate is set to 4mbps, not 10mbps. That helps a lot. I think any firmware update to the RC will reset the Go app to 10mbps (makes no sense to me), so double check.

Reactions: crashburn
Make sure your downstream bit rate is set to 4mbps, not 10mbps. That helps a lot. I think any firmware update to the RC will reset the Go app to 10mbps (makes no sense to me), so double check.

Where is the downstream bit rate at in the app I can't find it?

Transmission Quality.

image.png

I don't think that there is an auto for it.Only a slider.

Turn the radio on, click on the HD icon, and scroll down to see the slider.

I did if I have the radio channel on auto the slider is not there I have to put the radio channel setting then I see the slider you showed me when it first shows up when I switch to manual its at 8mbps then switches to 4mbps on its own. It almost end seem to me as that is auto set with the channels when set to auto and maybe on my counter inside it thought 8mbps was the best choice because it defaults back to 4mbps when I go to manual because that was the first time I have touched that setting! Thanks for the help I will play with that in the field tomorrow if I get lucky enough on weather.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers