DBS or FPVLR? again...

There is how to videos it take maybe 1 hour.as for antennas itelite all the way if you want to boost it Rex technology has all your needs.funny all this talk about Fpvlr and itelite well there is also iBcrazy.com readymade RC they sell 2.4 patch and helical antennas cross hair ,pepper box half the dam price.
There are all kind of antennas Silver and really no need to cuss

Their are links to many places Quinten in here .I get stuff from FPVLR and got mine there when I got some other stuff but Amazon has them
also I beleave . As far as the short blue one's I use I got mine cheap here SMA male to RP-SMA male both right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue Cable Some like them and some don't. I have not had any issues with mine yet but if I do I bought 2 sets being they come from China . There's lots of places that sell cables and not sure they don't all come from the same place :)
I use wi-fi direct for my rf needs. Fast and high quality. Have em make you rf58's whatever length you need, bout a buck a foot but youll know you put on the best you could. The rest is all enviroment and true aiming

Reactions: dirkclod
I use wi-fi direct for my rf needs. Fast and high quality. Have em make you rf58's whatever length you need, bout a buck a foot but youll know you put on the best you could. The rest is all enviroment and true aiming
I just spoke with them yesterday ...e-mail.. about antennas but they didn't have what I wanted . Didn't think about them for cables also :)

So...I acquired a FPVLR from one of our other members and have done ONE very preliminary test on the FPVLR vs. DBS ITElite (panel) on my P3 STANDARD. Time & weather permitting, I will do 2 more locations that I am familiar with and have a general idea of stock range, etc. AGAIN...this is just ONE flight comparison with more to come. One thing I WILL say is that the FPVLR seems more directional than the panel (not to mention heavier)-but it looks more badass. When my P3 ADV comes in, I will be running comparisons stock on that too. ;)

Test #1:
Location: Edge of my neighborhood, lots of wifi I'm sure, and adjacent to an open field. Just a few bare trees in way and a house across the street, but otherwise pretty much clear LOS once I get high enough. LOTS of electrical transmission lines in the open field I fly over-so keep that in mind as well. I didn't really do a Windsurfer vs. no windsurfer comparison, but my guess is that it adds maybe a few hundred to 500 feet MAX to the range.

The STOCK w/Windsurfer avg was probably around 2,200 feet on this same route.

This was only ONE RUN with EACH antenna mod. Ran them both till I disconnected (I usually lose FPV first and still have some RC control and flick for RTH). The internal cables were the ITElite panel ones-and obviously I did not change that. For transparency, I listed all Healthydrones log files for the flight out and the RTH when it picked up.
BTW...does anyone know why the logs keep getting "chunked" after RTH is initiated? I almost always get that...and it seems to usually not pick up (or start) the remaining RTH log until I get FPV back and can see the return.

Numbas...
ITElite Panel-4,608 feet
(HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters) & RTH portion (HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters)
FPVLR-3,936 feet (HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters) & RTH portion (HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters)

So...on this ONE similar run...the ITE Panel got about 700 feet further. I also feel like FPV was noticeably better than the FPVLR also (not as many dropouts). More to come!

Attachments

• IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_2228.JPG
    IMG_2228.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 351
Good stuff, Tanger. Keep them coming. You're brave launching your drone from that area over those high power lines.

Reactions: TheTanger
Tanger I'm surprised ya didn't get more distance from both but you really don't never know till you do fly .
Not sure about the HD dropping out like that but good test . I do see you gave the FPVLR a head start with more battery at take off :)
Keep em coming buddy ;)

Dirkclod...I'm not too surprised at the distances given the wifi interference along with traveling directly over high voltage transmission towers. ;) BUT, it does show that the panel is more than up to the task in comparison and bested the FPVLR in this instance.

I just took another comparison flight in a more rural area (unfortunately my tablet CRASHED during the 2nd flight with the panel, but on the way BACK-but I have NO LOG of the flight out-argghh!)...will post more soon.

Dirkclod...I'm not too surprised at the distances given the wifi interference along with traveling directly over high voltage transmission towers. ;) BUT, it does show that the panel is more than up to the task in comparison and bested the FPVLR in this instance.

I just took another comparison flight in a more rural area (unfortunately my tablet CRASHED during the 2nd flight with the panel, but on the way BACK-but I have NO LOG of the flight out-argghh!)...will post more soon.
watching you.gif
;)

Test #2
Location is rural with minimal interference. I had complete LOS and flew at 400 ft. as usual. There are a few homes in the area, but it is somewhat sparse-but obviously still populated, so it's not like a beach or lake or desert.

CONFUSION ALERT...on the 2nd flight (with the panel) the DJI GO app FROZE shortly after RTH. Had to HARD SHUT DOWN the tablet. Afterwards, NO data in flight log about flight out...but somehow it still got uploaded to HealthyDrones! (Got remnant of the RTH back after tablet rebooted and DJI GO restarted). Using a Nexus 7 (2013) w/HDsync app...and a screen recorder (maybe bad idea)

Numbas (flights out only shown)
1st up-FPVLR -8,092 feet
(HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters)

Quick Battery change...and about 10-15 minutes later.

2nd up-PANEL- 8,202 feet

Summary...Panel wins again, but just barely (110 feet). Again seemed to again have slightly better video reception (less lag) with the panel up until disconnection. RC control was FULL BARS on BOTH antennas before disconnection and RTH-so can't complain there. The FPV 2.4 is apparently the weak point with both these antenna mods (at least for me).

Wonder if I could just keep GOING without Dji Go app connection and FPV? That would be scary but is it possible? I suppose just push full foward till it failsafed RC dis-connection on it's own? Since I wouldn't be able to see the level of RC strength, that would be freaky!

Picture of 1st flight:
7859fba4aa1a4f207a3cc4bd93200f01.jpg

Test #2
Location is rural with minimal interference. I had complete LOS and flew at 400 ft. as usual. There are a few homes in the area, but it is somewhat sparse-but obviously still populated, so it's not like a beach or lake or desert.

CONFUSION ALERT...on the 2nd flight (with the panel) the DJI GO app FROZE shortly after RTH. Had to HARD SHUT DOWN the tablet. Afterwards, NO data in flight log about flight out...but somehow it still got uploaded to HealthyDrones! (Got remnant of the RTH back after tablet rebooted and DJI GO restarted). Using a Nexus 7 (2013) w/HDsync app...and a screen recorder (maybe bad idea)

Numbas (flights out only shown)
1st up-FPVLR -8,092 feet

Quick Battery change...and about 10-15 minutes later.

2nd up-PANEL- 8,202 feet

Summary...Panel wins again, but just barely (110 feet). Again seemed to again have slightly better video reception (less lag) with the panel up until disconnection. RC control was FULL BARS on BOTH antennas before disconnection and RTH-so can't complain there. The FPV 2.4 is apparently the weak point with both these antenna mods (at least for me).

Wonder if I could just keep GOING without Dji Go app connection and FPV? That would be scary but is it possible? I suppose just push full foward till it failsafed RC dis-connection on it's own? Since I wouldn't be able to see the level of RC strength, that would be freaky!

Picture of 1st flight:
7859fba4aa1a4f207a3cc4bd93200f01.jpg
Nicely done! I would not go further without FPV to know signal strength and where you would be heading. Too risky...

I also had the same issue with app crashing a couple times and tablet rebooting mid-flight once when flying distance with Nexus 7 2013. Freaked me out for sure...iOS app is more stable for me.

Last edited:
So...I acquired a FPVLR from one of our other members and have done ONE very preliminary test on the FPVLR vs. DBS ITElite (panel) on my P3 STANDARD. Time & weather permitting, I will do 2 more locations that I am familiar with and have a general idea of stock range, etc. AGAIN...this is just ONE flight comparison with more to come. One thing I WILL say is that the FPVLR seems more directional than the panel (not to mention heavier)-but it looks more badass. When my P3 ADV comes in, I will be running comparisons stock on that too. ;)

Test #1:
Location: Edge of my neighborhood, lots of wifi I'm sure, and adjacent to an open field. Just a few bare trees in way and a house across the street, but otherwise pretty much clear LOS once I get high enough. LOTS of electrical transmission lines in the open field I fly over-so keep that in mind as well. I didn't really do a Windsurfer vs. no windsurfer comparison, but my guess is that it adds maybe a few hundred to 500 feet MAX to the range.

The STOCK w/Windsurfer avg was probably around 2,200 feet on this same route.

This was only ONE RUN with EACH antenna mod. Ran them both till I disconnected (I usually lose FPV first and still have some RC control and flick for RTH). The internal cables were the ITElite panel ones-and obviously I did not change that. For transparency, I listed all Healthydrones log files for the flight out and the RTH when it picked up.
BTW...does anyone know why the logs keep getting "chunked" after RTH is initiated? I almost always get that...and it seems to usually not pick up (or start) the remaining RTH log until I get FPV back and can see the return.

Numbas...
ITElite Panel-4,608 feet
(HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters) & RTH portion (HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters)
FPVLR-3,936 feet (HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters) & RTH portion (HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters)

So...on this ONE similar run...the ITE Panel got about 700 feet further. I also feel like FPV was noticeably better than the FPVLR also (not as many dropouts). More to come!
Yes itelite works even better with boosters Rex technology has boosters..good luck....I have gone 9.5 km with itelite no boosters..

Reactions: TheTanger
Nicely done! I would not go further without FPV to know signal strength and where you would be heading. Too risky...

I also had the same issue of app crashing a couple times and a tablet rebooting mid-flight once when flying distance with Nexus 7 2013. Freaked me out for sure...iOS app is more stable for me.
Agreed...way too risky-just curious what the possibility was. If I was over the ocean, I might chance it but that's probably the only time. Have an iPhone too, but screen is too small...but the Apple DJI Go app seems a little more stable, just don't want to spend too much. Have an original iPad mini, and it's just too slow!

Ok, I would like your opinions and help. I installed the Itelite yesterday on my P3S remote. Took her out for a test fly tonight. I was in a neighboorhood standing on the front of my friends house. He does have electric power lines above his driveway but the sort that feeds electricity to your house... not high power ones.I flew the bird beyond his house to a ball field and I was 120ft alt. Got a couple of signal losses at the ball field and right over my head. Had data loss here. HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters And I kept getting signal loss not very far from me. But I still had control of drone. When I was at furthest point, I still had full signal bars but kept getting the red signal loss notification..
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

On my 2nd flight tonight, I had no signal issues as I was at the back of the house and some trees in the area. Sometimes the red signal warning would flash on the GO app but never lost control and RTH never initiated. Is this normal for the Itelite to behave this way? I don't remember getting so many signal loss warnings before with the old antenna.
I have only had the drone for 2 weeks. Mod was done last night by myself.

Reactions: RICK 4K
The trees/house might have blocked the signal. Try to get out to an open field and go up higher. You should avoid flying right above your head. But if you have to, remember to point the panel straight to the drone. This happens to me as well.

Reactions: Mitch40
The first flight you posted had major GPS issues. You often will lose signal above your head since it's a lot more directional than the stock antenna...if you didn't aim at the ball field location it would be a problem too. I would just try again...and maybe another location and take her out about 1000-1500 ft. if you are comfortable to see how the signal is. Keep your eyes on the signal meters for strength, makes a big difference.

Reactions: Mitch40
I was wondering if others had this possible issue. I know you have to point the panel pretty much straight on with the drone. That signal loss was right above me where I was flying. And a data loss for 1.2 secs. I'm glad I';m not only one. this mod is supposed to be the s**t. But I know you need a clear open area. It still has to be better than the stock antenna. Thanks for your reply Mandalay

The first flight you posted had major GPS issues. You often will lose signal above your head since it's a lot more directional than the stock antenna...if you didn't aim at the ball field location it would be a problem too. I would just try again...and maybe another location and take her out about 1000-1500 ft. if you are comfortable to see how the signal is. Keep your eyes on the signal meters for strength, makes a big difference.
Thanks Tanger, I will try again. Don't know why the GPS issues.. Happens to me around my house. too...no power lines.
I was thinking about the Itelite panel signal loss that I was having some real problems or a bad panel. Video link was slowed and choppy as well around the ballfied area.
I was trying to aim at the ballfield best I could but possible his house may have blocked signal somewhat. funny thing is..my buddy was flying his with stock antenna and he didn't have many problems...Will try at a more open field.

Yes itelite works even better with boosters Rex technology has boosters..good luck....I have gone 9.5 km with itelite no boosters..
Straight out with a Standard :eek:

Nice man you just sold me on the dbs panel. Thanks a lot of doing the test for up poorer people lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj