Dbs on C controller vs stock A/B controller

S

sandman259

Just curious if someone could give there opinion on if a dbs on a 300c controller would be comparable to a stock 300a/b controller? I had a B and now I have a C and can notice about a 1,000ft difference in my neighborhood. I'm thinking about dbs cause I've heard nothing but good things but I was wondering if just getting another B would be the same thing.

Since received power goes as 1/R^2, a reduction in transmitted power on the controller to 85% of the initial level would only reduce the effective range to 92% of what it was with the original power. With all of the other factors that could affect max range, this would be pretty hard to notice.

Since received power goes as 1/R^2, a reduction in transmitted power on the controller to 85% of the initial level would only reduce the effective range to 92% of what it was with the original power. With all of the other factors that could affect max range, this would be pretty hard to notice.

I have know idea what you just said Richard[emoji33]. I'm sure you answered my question in that comment but I don't understand what you said at all. Talk in Laymans terms please...

Slightly less range/video signal but you won't notice, and if you do there's ways of improving it(how much depends on the depth of your pockets)

I think your confused by my question. I'm curious the difference between a totally stock A/B controller vs a C controller with dbs mode. Meaning if I mod my C with a dbs would that be more or less powerful then a un-modded A/B controller??

I think your confused by my question. I'm curious the difference between a totally stock A/B controller vs a C controller with dbs mode. Meaning if I mod my C with a dbs would that be more or less powerful then a un-modded A/B controller??
I think you answered your own question inasmuch as you stated that you've seen a 1000' reduction in distance moving from a B to C controller.

What Richard was explaining is that the "lower powered" 300C transmission power is not dramatically less than the A or B.

A C model with a DBS would have a much greater range than a stock A or B. A 300B with a DBS would get you a little stronger signal, but only marginally so (approx. 8-10%). You would have to decide if that extra bit of range would be worth the cost of buying a B controller + DBS vs. just adding a DBS to your existing C model controller.

Many will add a DBS to what they already have.. if that still isn't enough... they will add amplifiers.

[Buying a used controller can be risky business. You never know exactly what you're getting, how it's been treated, what condition the battery is in and it's generally not as cost effective as upgrading the controller you already have.]

How effective any upgrade is will depend on where you fly. Ie., In an urban setting, even with amplifiers it's pretty difficult "punching" through a lot of heavy frequency traffic and EMF. There is just too much out there that is so much more powerful than anything you can strap on to a controller. No matter HOW much money you throw at it, results may only be marginal.

Reactions: Quest-So and Numone
What Richard was explaining is that the "lower powered" 300C transmission power is not dramatically less than the A or B.

A C model with a DBS would have a much greater range than a stock A or B. A 300B with a DBS would get you a little stronger signal, but only marginally so (approx. 8-10%). You would have to decide if that extra bit of range would be worth the cost of buying a B controller + DBS vs. just adding a DBS to your existing C model controller.

Many will add a DBS to what they already have.. if that still isn't enough... they will add amplifiers.

[Buying a used controller can be risky business. You never know exactly what you're getting, how it's been treated, what condition the battery is in and it's generally not as cost effective as upgrading the controller you already have.]

How effective any upgrade is will depend on where you fly. Ie., In an urban setting, even with amplifiers it's pretty difficult "punching" through a lot of heavy frequency traffic and EMF. There is just too much out there that is so much more powerful than anything you can strap on to a controller. No matter HOW much money you throw at it, results may only be marginal.
Exactly...

Sandman, just do yourself a favour and put some windsurfers on the GL300C controller. It might bring you to the range results you have with the GL300A/B. Suggesting this since following the DBS mod, means in turn a totally different geometry of the controller, that will require inner mods for the backpack / hardcase you're using, to fit the newly shaped controller. What for? since the battery is always limiting the range before the 'losing signal' symptom.

Reactions: Numone
Sandman, just do yourself a favour and put some windsurfers on the GL300C controller. It might bring you to the range results you have with the GL300A/B. Suggesting this since following the DBS mod, means in turn a totally different geometry of the controller, that will require inner mods for the backpack / hardcase you're using, to fit the newly shaped controller. What for? since the battery is always limiting the range before the 'losing signal' symptom.

I agree. I get 3 miles plus in Europe with a Windsurfer on a "C" TX so you should be good for 4 in the US.

Reactions: Quest-So

Thank you that explains it well for me[emoji106]

I already have a windsurfer and have tried it a few times and never seen any improvement. If anything it might have been slightly worse

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with these stupid windsurfers. Seems pretty straight forward but it seems no better and like a said maybe a little worse. Idk...I fell like I'm aiming it correctly. I'm doing the same procedure I do when I use the remote without them and aim them at the drone. I always look at that radar icon on the bottom left and try to get it pointing the same direction as the arrow is. Maybe my compass is off in my iPad? Sounds like the dbs has to be aimed correctly too or it won't be effective so I would probably do that wrong as well if I can't get a windsurfer to give me good results[emoji848]

Just to be clear. When you say that you are 'aiming' at the drone, I hope you mean that the stock antennas are pointing up and the open side of the windsurfer is pointed toward the direction of the bird. So many folks mistakenly point the ends of the antennas at the bird which gives them the lowest power in the direction of the bird!

Reactions: Numone
...if I can't get a windsurfer to give me good results[emoji848]

Not especially. Windsurfer type "signal enhancers" get mixed results. Your experience isn't that uncommon. Some folks swear by them, and in some conditions, they might actually help. "No affect" to "actually made it worse" is pretty typical too.

I can only speak for myself, but I would like to think I'm capable enough to aim my antenna's in the general direction of my drones. I've tried a Windsurfer and two other different types of clam shells with no noticible increase in signal reception or distance.

I'm no expert in the field, but from what I've read and experienced, what makes sense to me is that in areas where there is extremely limited to non-exsistent bandwidth traffic they probably do help a lot. In areas where there is heavy traffic and emf.. the clam shells are not capable of distinguishing your drones signal from any other. ALL signals/interference, without discretion, are being directed at your antennas so it makes perfect sense to me that it could actually HURT more than help. Just MHO.

Just to be clear. When you say that you are 'aiming' at the drone, I hope you mean that the stock antennas are pointing up and the open side of the windsurfer is pointed toward the direction of the bird. So many folks mistakenly point the ends of the antennas at the bird which gives them the lowest power in the direction of the bird!

Lol yes I'm doing all that[emoji106]

Not especially. Windsurfer type "signal enhancers" get mixed results. Your experience isn't that uncommon. Some folks swear by them, and in some conditions, they might actually help. "No affect" to "actually made it worse" is pretty typical too.

I can only speak for myself, but I would like to think I'm capable enough to aim my antenna's in the general direction of my drones. I've tried a Windsurfer and two other different types of clam shells with no noticible increase in signal reception or distance.

I'm no expert in the field, but from what I've read and experienced, what makes sense to me is that in areas where there is extremely limited to non-exsistent bandwidth traffic they probably do help a lot. In areas where there is heavy traffic and emf.. the clam shells are not capable of distinguishing your drones signal from any other. ALL signals/interference, without discretion, are being directed at your antennas so it makes perfect sense to me that it could actually HURT more than help. Just MHO.
I have to say that your assertion that a directional enhancer, which is what a windsurfer is, would make a signal worse. Sorry but that really is total tripe....

I have to say that your assertion that a directional enhancer, which is what a windsurfer is, would make a signal worse. Sorry but that really is total tripe....
Agree, the idea of any type of 'gain' antenna is to capture more of the signal of interest while blocking out extraneous signals such as from the side or back. At the same time, a properly set up reflector should enhance the signal strength in the direction of interest. Biggest problem with any discussion like this about whether a particular mode does or does not help is the total lack of control on the test environment. Without it, no way to repeat tests and you wind up comparing 'apples to cumquats'

Reactions: Quest-So

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj