DBS Mods = Power!!!

Hi John...

What tools do you consider essential to making this an easy installation.

I only needed a pair of generic tweezers for the HDMI board install, but I'd welcome any advice from someone who's completed this mod.

TIA.

:harry
A good screwdriver set is essential and the tweezers (I just used household tweezers) small tie raps an a drill the con board ribbon cable is the only tricky bit really putting it back on was fidgety (a lot easier if you loosen the con board to put it back on) the rest is a breeze

I ordered mine on the 24th.

In stock date has changed from 08/28 to 09/01. :-\

9/1 is solid now though ... sorry bout that one guys :oops:

Good news is the delay was for responding to customer feedback on cable length...
Still don't have specs on what was put in this run but outside cables are like half the length.

Thankyou for all the support from everyone here... you guys rock! :mad:

Reactions: Joao Carlos
No issues here-- we are honored!:) I can understand but the awards speak for themselves.
Someone above complimented this thread for its lack of "bitchin". I'm going to disappoint him. ;) In your sig you say "not to old to learn". If that's truly the case then change that to "not too old to learn". Just sayin'. :D

To give you a bit of an idea of what an improvement of overall signal and range the DBS antenna makes - I'm operating mine over an inner city suburban area with areas of dense bush land with average tree heights around 50m+/- and the terrain contours are pretty variable all round, consisting of hills gulley's that mean there could be around -100m difference in altitude between the the lowest ground and where I usually take off from and up to another +100m on top of that in the higher areas, so the altitude setting for safe clearance in RTH mode is 120m.
The area has several major communications towers approx 2000-3000m distance to the north east which are no doubt pummeling the area with radio interference as well as the usual mess of 2.4GHz range signals that are typical around a modern urban inner city these days.

The long and short of this all means, line of sight is pretty much impossible to maintain from anything further out than about 200-300m in any direction.

Prior to installing the DPS ITELITE mod antenna, I was getting consistent video and controller signal loss at around 500-700m distance, depending which direction I flew.

Yesterday with the DBS mod, I flew out to 3.5KM and back with zero loss of signal from either video or controller.

9/1 is solid now though ... sorry bout that one guys :oops:

Good news is the delay was for responding to customer feedback on cable length...
Still don't have specs on what was put in this run but outside cables are like half the length.

Thankyou for all the support from everyone here... you guys rock! :mad:

Doh, I ordered the shorty blue eBay cables the other day to go with my pre-order.

Doh, I ordered the shorty blue eBay cables the other day to go with my pre-order.
I did to! But you will be glad you did. They are of better quality and thicker. Its certainly an upgrade from the ones that comes with it. There now shipping shorter, but not better.

Reactions: Joao Carlos
DBS, I just ordered your kit with install tonight. All the reviews I've read on here have been great. Looking forward to seeing the difference it makes. I'll be sending you a spare controller, so your backorder doesn't bother me. I'll still be flying while you have it. Thanks!

DBS, I just ordered your kit with install tonight. All the reviews I've read on here have been great. Looking forward to seeing the difference it makes. I'll be sending you a spare controller, so your backorder doesn't bother me. I'll still be flying while you have it. Thanks!
Uh oh. Nobody has a "spare controller". What you have is a lost bird, right?
After doing a bit of research I'm also sold on the DBS unit as the best margin of safety at a very reasonable cost. Unfortunately they are back ordered so I'll have to be extra careful for a while longer.
COps, what's the scoop on cable length and quality? This is news to me, should I be thinking about different cables? Can you refer me to your choice?

Are there any disadvantages with DBS antenna comparing to stock controller? Are they bought sensitive about the same with directional moving? And how hard is it to install this for someone who has no experience at all in doing these type of modifications.

Are there any disadvantages with DBS antenna comparing to stock controller? Are they bought sensitive about the same with directional moving? And how hard is it to install this for someone who has no experience at all in doing these type of modifications.

If you have no experience, I would personally say, stay away from doing it yourself unless your willing to spend more for a replacement controller.

To do everything its very delicate as there are ribbon cables in place next to the antenna ports where you have to plug the DBS supplied cables.

If anything goes wrong then theres no going back, when I was doing mine I remember saying to myself in the videos the factory antenna cables came off quite easily but with mine it took a bit of time and elbow grease as well as making sure I was not going to damage the ribbons on the sides.

The worst part of the install is getting that con board ribbon cable back in, its not too hard but these are very very sensitive.

Whatever happens and whichever install you tend to go for (either yourself or by DBS themselves) I wish you well and enjoy your DBS panel while flying your P3.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj