DBS Mods ITE-DBS02 Antenna for P3P: Results of Signal Penetration Testing

Surprised to hear this. Another member here has the DBS(no amps) and the bird side done and routinely goes out 14,000' and more with a P3S.
I know. I got a new setup I plan to try this weekend if the weather is good at the beach. I will try to post a pic when I get home.

My question about the Itelite mod... I presume that this mod will void the warranty on the remote, what about the bird itself? Or perhaps it voids the warranty on the whole kit-n-caboodle?

I can't give you a definitive answer but all the research I've done indicates the warranties are independent of each other.

Reactions: Zeprider
My question about the Itelite mod... I presume that this mod will void the warranty on the remote, what about the bird itself? Or perhaps it voids the warranty on the whole kit-n-caboodle?
If you only modify the TX and nothing has been touched on the bird how would they know in the first place? My opinion is that I don't think it would be a problem.

Reactions: Zeprider
Well when I was flying out there some police officers were in the area and told me the name of the place. Researched it and it's called a water crib. All it does it pump in fresh water to the city from a few miles out instead of gathering water from the shoreline which would be extra dirty. It pumps it into the water treatment plants we have on the shore and they process it from there I'm guessing. Here in Chicago I believe we have 4 of these off shore. This one was 2.5 miles out the other one is 4 miles out so I don't know if I'll be able to make those. Even with a dbs mod lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Interesting. Here we draw from underground pipes way out in the lake. We also get water from two of the Finger Lakes that is also piped into the city underground to a reservoir. Must have been quite a feat to install/build them there. :eek:

Sorry, I am a history geek - Water cribs in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

800px-The_Great_Chicago_Lake_Tunnel_Diagram_1867.jpg

Someone requested I post some photos of the antenna installed. It pretty much looks like everyone elses but here it is anyhow:

VzX0QjY.jpg

vlNlpbv.jpg

I used 1/4" thread protectors to seal the void where the antenna holes were. Fits perfectly once you squeeze and work them in a bit. SKU #756850 available at any home depot.

To answer the question of the difficulty of the install and any troubles. It's fairly easy and requires basic skills and a basic set of tools. No soldering or anything. I ordered a set of precision electrostatic safe electronics tweezers from amazon (link here) to perform the install. You could probably get away with a good set of needle nose pliers. I followed the DBS mods tutorial on youtube (here). However I did mine a bit differently. The typical install takes around an hour. Took me 1.5 hours because I choose to preserve the original antennas in case I ever want to convert back to stock. Doing so definitely made it a great deal more involved but I didn't mind too much. Chuck recommends cutting the original cables and pulling it out of the silicone to save time and to not disturb the ribbon cable. I think that is fine if you are mass producing these modded remotes for customers but on my install I wanted to save the cables. I don't think the ribbon cables are nearly as fragile as he suggests, but that is just my opinion. My antenna cable, unlike everyone else, ended up being sandwiched between the two ribbon cables inside the silicone. Had to cut it away very carefully with a micro wire cutter. Then I had to remove the gimble control knob assembly (1 screw, its easy) and then 4 screws so I could lift up the right stick control module and get the antenna out. The other was way easy just routed it out with the tweezers and removed.

Installed the new antennas, hot glued them down like in the video, drilled the holes, blew out the plastic bits with some canned air (important!), screwed connectors in then put it all back together. My biggest 2 difficulties was removing the stock antennas and getting that darn con cable back up into the little slot hole when putting the case back together. I used my fingers and the tweezers to slide the con cable back in place and flip down the little cover to lock it in. As for the antennas I must have spent 10 mins getting the darn things out. No matter how hard I squeezed the holder together with pilers and tried to pull them out, they would not budge. Had to cut them out like chuck did in the vid but even then it was a pain.

I suppose you can avoid a lot of this trouble and just leave the stock antennas alone, wrap up the cables and cover them and leave them inside the case. However I like the clean look of not having them so it was worth the trouble for me. Good luck.

I can tell you from my RMA warranty experience with DJI, my bird suffered the infamous "drop outta the sky" from FW 1.5.30, they told me to send in a/c & REMOTE . I had done the mods on the remote so I was convinced if I sent in aircraft and remote they would void the warranty, so I only sent in the aircraft. They never questioned it and fixed the aircraft and sent it back.
So if you fill out an RMA for warranty and they ask you to send in the remote even though that's not your issue, then send the aircraft only

I wonder if 41,000 is do-able there and back with a battery mod. As for the custom vinyls, sign me up Norman!
Oh, its do-able! Did this one a couple days ago, landed w/ 8%
Shoulda took it to 45
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459373938.499691.jpg

Holy crap DB! That's some sick range. Are you using the battery mod you are selling? With your mod, what would be good batteries to get?

Check out this ITElite polarized linear antenna setup (unboosted) by DBS.

World record P3P flight *with battery mod*. The last 10 minutes of the flight are riveting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well when I was flying out there some police officers were in the area and told me the name of the place. Researched it and it's called a water crib. All it does it pump in fresh water to the city from a few miles out instead of gathering water from the shoreline which would be extra dirty. It pumps it into the water treatment plants we have on the shore and they process it from there I'm guessing. Here in Chicago I believe we have 4 of these off shore. This one was 2.5 miles out the other one is 4 miles out so I don't know if I'll be able to make those. Even with a dbs mod lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I'm a retired 597 Chicago Pipefitter, as an apprentice we were taken to the main facility in Chicago where this intake "crib" is connected. Two 120" or 10' pipes run all the way back and provide all of Chicago and dupage with fresh drinking water, the claim is Chicago has some of the best tap water in the world. They put them way far out because in the olden days the runoff from the city was full of human and other waste, it's better now but still the practice. The actual local 130 plumbers do a lot of the work, but some of those valves are just too big for a plumber at 80" and larger, there's a couple 10' or 120" valves that takes a team of mechanics to replace. The zebra mussels plug the intake screens from time to time. There was a gig on that intake back in 08' the guys took a boat out and back everyday, I tried to make that job, but ended up doing more schools (my bread and butter)

Reactions: kennedye
Here is how it turned out:

VFj3Jvv.jpg
Looks good. Just a heads up, if you do offer these for sale, be sure to do it only in the classifieds section. Thanks. ;)
The older ones had a raised quad image on it... they must have done away with it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: NormanNormal
Holy crap DB! That's some sick range. Are you using the battery mod you are selling? With your mod, what would be good batteries to get?
Yeah, its very surprising coming from a p3 standard stock antennas on a/c! Unexpected!
I'm just a blue collar guy who flys, i'm not selling anything!

Yeah, its very surprising coming from a p3 standard stock antennas on a/c! Unexpected!
I'm just a blue collar guy who flys, i'm not selling anything!
So your essentially getting about 20,000' out if you were to return to home. Impressive.

No TJ, that was a round-trip 40,500 feet there 40,500 feet back landed with 8%
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

With just a DBS and nothing more to the TX or bird? Spectacular!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers