DBS Mods ITE-DBS02 Antenna for P3P: Results of Signal Penetration Testing

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my last thread where I tested for range/distance, I was able to get 16K feet/3 miles out of my bone stock P3P at 250ft. I was really pleased with it and when I turned around I still had full signal. I could not ask for more distance but my signal penetration was really lacking. Put even a few trees between me and the phantom and either I lose the link or the signal is severely degraded. So I decided to purchase the DBS mods ITElite antenna kit hoping to improve my penetration, as I had heard good results from others.

I installed the kit and did some testing, here is what I found:

Stock P3P
----
Attempted to fly out to a known object 2500ft away. We will call it POI #1. This test site where I launched from is surrounded by trees, so it's tough to get any good distance. Suffered signal loss and drop outs before I could reach POI #1. Climbed up to the max altitude of 399ft and still could not achieve a good signal. Had to abort the mission and return home. Signal could not penetrate the trees around test site A.

Attempted to reach POI #2 1700 ft away in a different direction. Drop outs and signal loss a few hundred feet short even at 300ft altitude. Aborted mission and returned to home.

DBS Mods ITElite Antenna installed
----
Flew out to POI #1 again originating from Test Site A. I was even standing in the exact same spot. Reached POI #1 at 399ft altitude easily, with full signal no drop outs whatsoever. Immediately the improvement in signal penetration is apparent and proven. Decided to descend down on the object to see how low I could go. At 200ft I started getting some blips in the signal. At 150ft it started to drop out a bit but I was still getting video and had control. Absolutely amazing. I would have been happy just to make it there at 399 feet but the lower altitude was awesome.

Tried POI #2. Easily reached at 300ft, no drop outs whatsoever full signal. Descended to 144ft altitude before signal problems become apparently. Again an amazing improvement. Significant number of trees between me and the phantom at this location and altitude.

----

I decided to test out the signal penetration at a different test site, one not surrounded by trees in a more open area. Picked a spot by the canal, we will call Test Site B. Decided to fly out to the same object we are calling POI #1. Reached it no problem at 2500ft away. Now POI #1 is a good 2000ft deep into nature preserve and surrounded by a pine tree forrest. Let's see how low I can go before I can lose signal. I assumed I would lose as it a soon as the quad went below the tree line since it would be nearly a half mile of forrest between me and the quad.

Something amazing happened I did not expect. Went past 100ft, 50ft, 30ft...still perfect signal! Went all the way down to 20ft off the ground. Full bars, full signal, not even a blip of a dropout. It was like it was 30ft in front of me not a half mile deep into a Forrest. Did not even attempt to go lower than that. I am really amazed this was even possible. Here is a screen capture of me 20ft off the ground at POI #1. Note the trees in the distance. Those are the same trees (behind) between me and the quad and the signal still makes it. I don't think I could have even done this stock.

tyxJXiU.jpg

Tested a bit further and went to the end of the preserve just over a full mile away from me. Still had full signal at 250ft. Lowered down to 110ft and I started losing a few bars and got a minor blip. Just incredible. 6000ft of trees in between and I'm at 110ft with good signal. Another note is that I was concerned about the directional nature of the antenna. I could turn around 180 degrees and face the opposite way and still had full signal 1000ft out. So I think it only is a problem at far distances.

I am really impressed with the DBS mods antenna. I wonder what it could do with boosters. For right now I am very pleased and it has achieved my goals and suited my purpose. Most buy these for extreme distance/range but I had that stock. I wanted signal penetration and the DBS mods antenna did not let me down.

Thanks DBS mods!

Last edited:
DBS does seem to prove itself over & over again. Best part is that it is compact compared to those big, ugly, clunky Buck Rogers looking spiral type. :D

DBS does seem to prove itself over & over again. Best part is that it is compact compared to those big, ugly, clunky Buck Rogers looking spiral type. :D

Yes, it does look good. My girlfriend is even making a custom vinyl sticker to spruce up the looks even more. Have to post it when it's done. Maybe she can take requests. :D

I wonder if 41,000 is do-able there and back with a battery mod. As for the custom vinyls, sign me up Norman!

4b4bdc54309eca01652a5b661ddee1fb.jpg

Can't wait to install dbs mod. I finally made it out to this processing plant on Lake Michigan in Chicago. Let's just say I tried to make this journey 3 times. Once with a standard and twice with my advanced. It took me adding a wind surfer to my advanced to finally make it out there with a full signal. Although the I started to lose video feed as soon as I landed on top of it so I'm sure the dbs mod should let me drop it down from reading your review.

P3S w/ windsurfer: 4700ft before video stutters
P3A: 7500ft before video stutters
P3A w/ windsurfer: 13200ft before I had to fine tune the antennas to keep connecting. Still had room to move out further. Mind you this was also at 200ft.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow you guys are just sick!! Lmao!! Jees, ok, I just have to ask as I have the mod too, I bought it after only a week or so of flight and personally don't really notice the effect, I've actually gotten some video noise relatively close by, not even relatively but CLOsE by at 500m, it was only for a millisecond but after the mod, which I got for signal/noise or "punch" in my 100' trees.
What I am asking is, don't you guys get nervous? I mean, I'm just so nervous anytime I'm at 400' or so and out even 1/4 mile! I just keep expecting it to lose signal and fly away, or just crash. One time at maybe 10' above canopy and approx 400m away the video feed went blank, oh man I was scared, I just quit going fwd and slowly hit the raise lever, and video came back, I flew home right away, and that has left me nervous.
As a matter of fact, after reading the great distances before I got the drone, I was sure I could get to this barn about 3/4m away, and I was almost there and got scared and came home, this was before the mod. And I've been further when it was new, since the feed went blank on me I'm just convinced if I push it I'll lose it. I just wish I had more guts. The areas are wooded private property uber wealthy mansions, and I fear if it failed me it would be hard to get back, although I am a neighbor sharing a fence even, I just don't live in a mansion. I live on a large lake and the other side is less then a mile away, and I don't have the guts to fly over there! Lol supposedly with the mod this should be an easy do. How or when did you guys get over the scaredy cat, or wussie stage, if any of you guys even had reservations? ( I have a feeling I'm alone in this post lol)

----

I decided to test out the signal penetration at a different test site, one not surrounded by trees in a .

tyxJXiU.jpg

Tested a bit further and went to the end of the preserve just over a full mile away from me. Still had full signal at 250ft. Lowered down to 110ft and I started losing a few bars and got a minor blip. Just incredible. 6000ft of trees in between and I'm at 110ft with good signal. Another note is that I was concerned about the directional nature of the antenna. I could turn around 180 degrees and face the opposite way and still had full signal 1000ft out. So I think it only is a problem at far distances.

I am really impressed with the DBS mods antenna. I wonder what it could do with boosters. For right now I am very pleased and it has achieved my goals and suited my purpose. Most buy these for extreme distance/range but I had that stock. I wanted signal penetration and the DBS mods antenna did not let me down.

http://www.popsci.com/first-urban-drone-delivery-successfulThanks DBS mods!
Great write up! I've yet to be wowed, I say yet because even though I haven't "seen" the increase in signal strength I'm still convinced the mod works as advertised, just don't have the guts or the best area to do these test. So far it's been with a 300B TX and W322A bird, so it should be capable.
Man you guys with your test, valuable info for sure

I removed my DBS mod because it gave me only about a additional 2000ft. And wont fit in my case. Just not worth it.
I see others have had better shuckses. I allso have the bird side mod, not so sure it is worth it ether.??

I removed my DBS mod because it gave me only about a additional 2000ft. And wont fit in my case. Just not worth it.
I see others have had better shuckses. I allso have the bird side mod, not so sure it is worth it ether.??
Surprised to hear this. Another member here has the DBS(no amps) and the bird side done and routinely goes out 14,000' and more with a P3S.

Reactions: NormanNormal
4b4bdc54309eca01652a5b661ddee1fb.jpg

Can't wait to install dbs mod. I finally made it out to this processing plant on Lake Michigan in Chicago. Let's just say I tried to make this journey 3 times. Once with a standard and twice with my advanced. It took me adding a wind surfer to my advanced to finally make it out there with a full signal. Although the I started to lose video feed as soon as I landed on top of it so I'm sure the dbs mod should let me drop it down from reading your review.

P3S w/ windsurfer: 4700ft before video stutters
P3A: 7500ft before video stutters
P3A w/ windsurfer: 13200ft before I had to fine tune the antennas to keep connecting. Still had room to move out further. Mind you this was also at 200ft.

So I gotta ask, what does that place process? I live near the shore of Lake Ontario and it is never that blue/green color.

Surprised to hear this. Another member here has the DBS(no amps) and the bird side done and routinely goes out 14,000' and more with a P3S.

There is a gentlemen here who lives in a rather cold climate, one day he elected to fly a misson from the warmth of his living room couch. He did it with the bird side mod and there was not even a single blip in vid on a 4.5km trip. Quite impressive. I found the video

Reactions: decee
Well when I was flying out there some police officers were in the area and told me the name of the place. Researched it and it's called a water crib. All it does it pump in fresh water to the city from a few miles out instead of gathering water from the shoreline which would be extra dirty. It pumps it into the water treatment plants we have on the shore and they process it from there I'm guessing. Here in Chicago I believe we have 4 of these off shore. This one was 2.5 miles out the other one is 4 miles out so I don't know if I'll be able to make those. Even with a dbs mod lol

Well when I was flying out there some police officers were in the area and told me the name of the place. Researched it and it's called a water crib. All it does it pump in fresh water to the city from a few miles out instead of gathering water from the shoreline which would be extra dirty. It pumps it into the water treatment plants we have on the shore and they process it from there I'm guessing. Here in Chicago I believe we have 4 of these off shore. This one was 2.5 miles out the other one is 4 miles out so I don't know if I'll be able to make those. Even with a dbs mod lol

You could make it easy with a battery saddlebag mod.

My question about the Itelite mod... I presume that this mod will void the warranty on the remote, what about the bird itself? Or perhaps it voids the warranty on the whole kit-n-caboodle?

I went out almost 8 miles with mine this weekend. Got to 41,000 ft and decided to look for a place to land since battery was getting low.
41000-ftt_zpsja6bkdj5.jpg
Hey Prowler, can i have some details bout that flight case i missed em?
Dbs unboosted
Reg battery no externals
Landed remotely 40,000' away went and collected it

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20