DBS mods - anyone got it?

Received mine Friday, installed yesterday. I will say I was a bit skeptical when I ordered it but thought I'd give it a try. My goal: to have great reception in my area and not lose signal strength, not all that interested in long flights everyday.

Install went good. 45 minutes taking my time. No issues.

Results flying same flight path and same conditions.

Stock: 3360 feet with signal lose here and there until the end when RTH kicked in.

DBS: 9052 feet when the signal stated dropped off. I turned around (of course thinking about my return leg). Landed safely with 43% battery and nerves jumping out of my skin.

My area: minimal residential, mostly corn fields, some shopping area off to one side. As always, I flew over the fields in the event I had an issue.

Overall, I'm satisfied. Signal strength never dropped until past the 9000 foot mark. My goal has been attained.

Thanks to all for a great site.

And you are posting this from florida, I deem you flatlander, too! LOL If you have an ocean beach in your video, that is a definite giveaway.

I'm originally from upstate NH. I'll always be from there. Live Free or Die. Anyway, what I found funny about it is that Wales has higher points asl than PA does. I know how you people in the hills are about elevation segregation though. lol :p

Reactions: DaGunn
The phantom is linear polarized.

I know that the P3 is Linear. Another poster said he wanted to change the antennas out on the Phantom, and as you say I said using CP antennas will give better performance, if you're going through the trouble, so then your Phantom will no longer be linear once that is done of course. Silly. :p That's also why I added the control would need to be changed in kind. LHCP or RHCP antennas on both side will give you best possible range and reliability regardless of how your Phantom is pointing.

News update... antennas are here in Florida now :)

Will be spending the rest of the day shipping... hope to get them all out today... definitely get them finished up by tomorrow first thing in the morning. :cool:
I got mine today in the mail i live all the way in Holland i would like to thank you for youre good and fast service and maybe ill me back for my inspire that i am planning to buy to . Thank you

All I can say for those that are skeptical about getting this long range antenna from ITELITE, you better get it before it's gone. My antenna came in yesterday and decided today would be the day to make the install. I almost sent my remote off to have it installed for $100, boy am I glad I didn't because the install was a breeze.

Install took all of 40-45mins being super gentle not to rip, break, or tear anything. Be mindful if you do this install, there all really small ribbon cables inside on the main board that if you tap or brush up against hard enough it could possibly come unplug them. I experienced this first hand. Also my only hiccup and I literally took a crap was when I was complete with my install and cables plugged in, I went to turn on the remote and nothing. Well I realized I forgot to plug the main power cable back in and literally had to take everything apart and then back together.

Now on with my great results I achieved with ITELITE antenna...

Stock antenna flight, I went up to 325ft and chose a straight flight path and pushed to just about 3,631 then signal lost and return-to-home initiated.

DBSmods antenna flight, I again went up to 325ft and basically flew the same path now achieving 10,121 before I got a brief signal lost. I let the Phantom hover for a few seconds and pushed about another 60ft and still had 3 bars. I got spooked and decided to bring it back. I definitely will try again to see what I can max out at.

I live in Miami, FL and my neighborhoods are heavily populated which it doesn't hinder much signal lost.

I'll be the first to say I'm more than satisfied with ITELITE antenna. @DBS Can't thank you guys enough for putting together this long range antenna. As I explore further and further out I will definitely post more results. Again for those that are hesitant, make that $100 purchase, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
20150728_182813.jpeg

I know that the P3 is Linear. Another poster said he wanted to change the antennas out on the Phantom, and as you say I said using CP antennas will give better performance, if you're going through the trouble, so then your Phantom will no longer be linear once that is done of course. Silly. :p That's also why I added the control would need to be changed in kind. LHCP or RHCP antennas on both side will give you best possible range and reliability regardless of how your Phantom is pointing.
O thank god I was hoping I just missed a post.

How much advantage does the FPVLR system with boosters(w/separate battery) have over the DBS mod system with out boosters?

Has anyone done a side by side test, through obstacles(low level thick trees and brush)?

I'm curious to know if there is any improvement at long range and low level(under 80ft alt.)

How much advantage does the FPVLR system with boosters(w/separate battery) have over the DBS mod system with out boosters?

Has anyone done a side by side test, through obstacles(low level thick trees and brush)?

I'm curious to know if there is any improvement at long range and low level(under 80ft alt.)

I have both systems but have not compared the side-by-side in the same environment yet. However it's important to note that the FPVLR system has CP TX antennas with linear (stock) on the RX side, resulting in some loss. In theory the circular polarization should handle multipath interference better, but again it's only on the TX side, so much of the advantage is lost. With the linear polarization you would expect to see longer range if the LOS is unobstructed. So there's really no "best" overall, there's only the best tool for the job in any given environment. If you're concerned about low level thick trees and brush, then your best chances are with a fully circular system. The problem is there is no true CP system on the P3 unless you install bird-side CP antennas to match. Since I have no interest in installing CP antennas on the P3 (as I did numerous times on my P2s), I'm going with linear and a nice, light 1W MIMO amp.

Well..... Testflight was today ....
And the only thing i can say is wowww what a product. Easy install and fly. Where i normal have a range around 1.5km--2.0km i got 5.0 km today Easy could have gone much further but because of the strong wind i decided to fly back . Thanks again "dbs-mods"
Ps: now waiting on dbs battery mod :)

I watched the inspire install video here:

What portion of this video is not applicable to the Phantom 3? Are there any other installation videos? That video left me a little confused starting at the 4:35 mark...

I watched the inspire install video here:

What portion of this video is not applicable to the Phantom 3? Are there any other installation videos? That video left me a little confused starting at the 4:35 mark...

That is the part you do not need to do. The P3 does not use that channel to communicate between 2 controllers. You can just remove the 2 stock antennas at that point.

That is the part you do not need to do. The P3 does not use that channel to communicate between 2 controllers. You can just remove the 2 stock antennas at that point.

Thanks so much. So it's the 4:35 through...what time on the video? Just want to make sure I fully understand what I'm doing here before diving in.

Btw, I'm the one who asked for the video showing the quick disconnect. Thanks again for posting that.

Thanks so much. So it's the 4:35 through...what time on the video? Just want to make sure I fully understand what I'm doing here before diving in.

Btw, I'm the one who asked for the video showing the quick disconnect. Thanks again for posting that.

9:04 you need to pay attention again. It does not say it in the video, but it is a 1/4" drill bit that you will need for the holes. Also, in between there you need to decide if you are removing the stock ones or leaving them in. If you leave them, make sure you secure the stock cables so they do not interfere with anything!

No problem man! Glad I was able to help.

If you want to remove the stock antennas, you don't need to cut or break anything. Turn the antenna to where it stops then force it a bit more. This will skew the mount to where you can get a screwdriver between the antenna base and the silver collar, give the screwdriver a twist and you can pop out the antenna with no damage. No real reason to remove the antennas though, just tape or shrink tube the brass ends in the controller to prevent shorting something.
I also concur that the install is much easier if you remove the 3 screws holding the usb circuit board to remove the ribbon cable. Almost screwed up my ribbon cable trying to reinstall the cable with tweezers.

Also much happier with the mount and antenna installed upside down from the video.

Reactions: wotblake
Awesome. Took it out for first time last night. Flying out of hole. Quite impressed.

dbs.jpg

Reactions: phantom13flyer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20