DBS mods - anyone got it?

Check on ebay for 4in or 6 in sma male to rp sma male right angle cables . They are much thinker and cleaner . As well as less signal loss. I tried posting the link to them but for some reason I can't get the link to post.
Good info!
Would also be nice if the mount was hinged so you could adjust the angle. I love the design of the bracket otherwise.
Does anybody know if it matters which cable goes to which antenna port??

Good info!
Would also be nice if the mount was hinged so you could adjust the angle. I love the design of the bracket otherwise.
Does anybody know if it matters which cable goes to which antenna port??

Technically I don't think it matters, but I put the left one to the left and the right one to the right since that's how the cables ran for the original antennas. Left went to the left and right went to the right.

Hey guys, I just got the kit installed today and took it out for a test flight. I was surprised to see that it doubled my distance compared to my flight in the same location yesterday. I still had full signal when I turned around for battery concerns. You can check out my video if you would like. to see the flight. I am new to youtube video tutorials, so don't be too hard on me!

Hey guys, I just got the kit installed today and took it out for a test flight. I was surprised to see that it doubled my distance compared to my flight in the same location yesterday. I still had full signal when I turned around for battery concerns. You can check out my video if you would like. to see the flight. I am new to youtube video tutorials, so don't be too hard on me!

I found it interesting that you left the original plastics there, did you leave the cable inside of them as well and just hanging around inside? Also interesting that you used the bracket upside down! I kind of like the way that looks, though if you flip it right side up (the flat piece facing down) then it will angle the antenna towards the sky. Not saying what you did was wrong, but just noticed it in the video that's all! I actually kind of like that more, this way it's easier to access the USB port.

I use the same USB cable!

Side note: does that GPS tracker add some kind of weight imbalance that you can notice?

Nice video!

I found it interesting that you left the original plastics there, did you leave the cable inside of them as well and just hanging around inside? Also interesting that you used the bracket upside down! I kind of like the way that looks, though if you flip it right side up (the flat piece facing down) then it will angle the antenna towards the sky. Not saying what you did was wrong, but just noticed it in the video that's all! I actually kind of like that more, this way it's easier to access the USB port.

I use the same USB cable!

Side note: does that GPS tracker add some kind of weight imbalance that you can notice?

Nice video!

Thank you! I mounted it like that because the other way just seemed too much "in the way" to me and it felt like I would have to hold the controller at a weird angle to actually point towards the Phantom at range. Seems to work just fine for me upside down like that. I left the original ones on there in case I ever needed to go back to stock configuration. The cables are carefully zip tied out of the way in there.

There is 0 noticeable difference with that GPS tracker on there. It weighs so little and is pretty close to the center of gravity. Thanks for checking out my video!

Thank you! I mounted it like that because the other way just seemed too much "in the way" to me and it felt like I would have to hold the controller at a weird angle to actually point towards the Phantom at range. Seems to work just fine for me upside down like that. I left the original ones on there in case I ever needed to go back to stock configuration. The cables are carefully zip tied out of the way in there.

There is 0 noticeable difference with that GPS tracker on there. It weighs so little and is pretty close to the center of gravity. Thanks for checking out my video!

Awesome. I know this isn't related, but which GPS tracker is that?

News update... antennas are here in Florida now :)

Will be spending the rest of the day shipping... hope to get them all out today... definitely get them finished up by tomorrow first thing in the morning. :cool:
Did I miss something? I only saw Phantom2 mods.

I really don't know why install those kits. My P3 go easily more than 4km (13000 feets). And I have reached 5.2km (17000 feets) with the stock antennas.. Reaching the battery limits.

Ah, way cool. Thanks for that. I wish I had an open field like that to test at. I'll have to drive out a ways to get to one!

Reactions: PhantomJAK
Actually, they are not very shielded and VERY lossy at 2.4ghz. Because of their short length, those RG174 jumpers don't matter as much but by moving up to an RG58 jumper cut to size with right angle connectors put on, you could potentially regain about 5% of lost power in that jumper. I just ordered mine. These mods are cool but only so much can be done before amplification is required. A mod I think would be much more worth while is an antenna mod on the quad. That 2.4ghz antenna in the quad has got to have room for improvement. I'm thinking a quarterwave sticking right out of the top!!

If you're talking antennas mods on the quad itself then the best way to go is circular polarized either a set of 4 skew planers or clover leafs. And to match up a pair of helical antennas on the remote. Just make sure to match RHCP or LHCP as it needs to be the same on both sides.

Just received my ITELITE antenna in the mail to find out the link provided in the box on a card from DBS MODs doesn't work. I went to ITELITE website and apparently it only shows a install on a Inspire remote. @DBS You guys think I can get some help here with issue?
20150727_191328.jpg

Just received my ITELITE antenna in the mail to find out the link provided in the box on a card from DBS MODs doesn't work. I went to ITELITE website and apparently it only shows a install on a Inspire remote. @DBS You guys think I can get some help here with issue? View attachment 25971

Yep, just use the Inspire tutorial video. That is what I used. Same process except you will not do the modification for the 5.8ghz channel since the P3 does not have that.

If you're talking antennas mods on the quad itself then the best way to go is circular polarized either a set of 4 skew planers or clover leafs. And to match up a pair of helical antennas on the remote. Just make sure to match RHCP or LHCP as it needs to be the same on both sides.
The phantom is linear polarized.

And those are not helical antennas on the remote . They too are omni directional linear polarized antennas .

The highest peak in PA is like 3200 feet asl and you're calling people flatlanders?....rofl.
And you are posting this from florida, I deem you flatlander, too! LOL If you have an ocean beach in your video, that is a definite giveaway.

I just ordered one of these amps: http://www.amazon.com/Sunhans-Booster-Wireless-Repeater-amplifiers/dp/B00NGG0YTW

1W 2T2R MIMO to pair with the DBS linear.

I've got the 2.5W Sunhans amps that Tony (FPVLR) sells with his P3 advanced, but having two relatively heavy amps drawing a total of 5W and looking like a spaghetti factory just seems way over-the-top to me, given the diminishing returns at that current. The whole FPVLR thing is just too heavy and cumbersome for my taste.

I live in a super wifi-heavy neighborhood, and rarely get more than 2K stock @ 400 AGL, so an amp is pretty much a necessity for me. I'll let y'all know how it goes when paired with the DBS mod.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20