DBS mods - anyone got it?

So the good news and bad news. Installed this today without having a toolkit but had a lot of tools to use at my business. You absolutely need a set of mini needle nose pliers. Could not have done it without them. Flew the bird yesterday off my balcony. Got 7850ft. Flew tonight after upgrade. Got to 13500 in the same place, then had 2 issues. Bird was 5 bars signal then nothing, returned to home and cancelled after regaining signal around 13100. Flew straight back and continued to have 1 bar for another 2-3k feet before it came back fully. Now the really shitty part was the head wind forced me to land at 7500 feet out, was able to recover but somehow my lens and gimbal are broken... Beware of differences in wind patterns as I only had <5 at take off.... 2 miles way is a lot different. And yes I turned around at 72% battery so pushing it wasn't the issue.

As the results roll in, its not looking good for this DBSmods antenna.

People are not getting the results advertised and it seems VERY limited by orientation and obstacles. hmmm.... That's disappointing.

Seemed like a promising setup. :(

Reactions: Coldfire
I am not sure you can come to this conclusion. I flew 20, 000 feet and I never managed to do that before in the same location

My limitation was fear of battery life. I turned around at 20133 feet as I didn't want to run out of battery. In the end I had 31% battery left. Next time I will aim for 25,000 feet same location when the wretched wind dies down.

IMG_2554.PNG

I am not sure you can come to this conclusion. I flew 20, 000 feet and I never managed to do that before in the same location

My limitation was fear of battery life. I turned around at 20133 feet as I didn't want to run out of battery. In the end I had 31% battery left. Next time I will aim for 25,000 feet same location when the wretched wind dies down.

View attachment 25753

Yeah, I tend to take advice here with a grain of salt. If you come to these forums, you'd be afraid to leave the house in fear of being hit by a fly away Phantom.

Now that's far as hell on the stock setup but how will you know if the DBS helped you out any?

I don't think I will upgrade yet. Instead, may spend the money on the DJi HD module and get a better FPV view than my tablet.

I just received and installed on my P3P yesterday. Didn't notice any difference at 100' elevation. Going to try again today at 400'.

Got mine installed but now I am getting yellow flashes from the bird and loud DDD from the remote. Seems to have lost its pairing, but it won't let me re-pair. Have tried hooking back up factory antenna, no dice. I don't see anything off/loose/broken....not sure what I have done here! If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
So it appears that I somehow messed up the field programmable gate array in my RC. No idea what I did. I've tried downgrading firmware to reinstall the current version, but it doesn't solve the problem. I'm somewhat surprised as I'm pretty handy with electronics but not this time. I have a suspicion that I may have messed up the ribbon cable that connects the main board, but I can't be sure. The pilot app seems to work fine -- I can calibrate the sticks, etc, but the RC won't work with the error. Expensive mistake. So be careful installing these things!

Guys, I have the DBS mods, unopened box. Willing to sell to anyone for $15 bucks cheaper if anyone is interested. When I ordered this, I assumed I'd have some opportunities to go fly long, but my work schedule leads me to believe I will be unable to use this enough to make it worth it. PM me if interested.

Got mine on Friday, installed in about an hour or less, easy to install. My box didn't have the little rubber plugs for the holes from the original antennas, but no big deal. Range is definitely really impressive. The plate should be pointing in the general direction of the bird (expected) but I was able to achieve an altitude that I otherwise would have 1 bar on RC and HD in my area, with full bars while holding the controller parallel to the ground. Oh also, instead of removing the ribbon cable from the little board with the USB ports, I unclipped the two side ribbons and unscrewed and removed the board itself, this made the ribbon cable removing MUCH easier than having to remove it using the needle nose angled pliers, just an FYI.
I also achieved a quite better horizontal range in my area (lots of trees and buildings) than I did stock.

I will test horizontal range tomorrow in a suburb where my parents live, but I have no doubts. The controller looks really cool with this mod too [emoji16]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437874823.402776.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437874839.001754.jpg

Yeah I have two P3 Pro birds, not sure if I will do the other controller yet, the little aluminum home-made boosters work quite well!

Guys, I have the DBS mods, unopened box. Willing to sell to anyone for $15 bucks cheaper if anyone is interested. When I ordered this, I assumed I'd have some opportunities to go fly long, but my work schedule leads me to believe I will be unable to use this enough to make it worth it. PM me if interested.
My email [email protected] please contact me

View attachment 25753

You flat-landers get such great distance even w/o antenna upgrades. Its us mountain folk with distance limitations. I built a pair of windsurfers and that tripled my distance. Need to see some reports from the tree-impaired pilots here, before I pull the trigger on any other mod. Thanks for posting though.

Reactions: merophosis

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1