DBS mods - anyone got it?

Would be nice if those of you who are installing them soon would do a before and after test. I need some convincing from you guys rather than the people selling it.

Mine came in today. Hopefully my replacement p3p will come in tomorrow from drone-world.com after only ordering this morning. Those guys are fantastic to do business with. Hopefully DJI will get my faulty bird back sooner than 10 weeks so I can install another one of these extenders on it as well.

20150724_151455.jpg
Got mine today.

Not sure, it has quick disconnect but may have to be modified. No directions included looking for installation instructions now.

Would be nice if those of you who are installing them soon would do a before and after test. I need some convincing from you guys rather than the people selling it.

Yes,

1. Fly it in stock configuration to the limit. Record altitude and heading....repeat same flight. Average the two distance results and write it down.

2. Install DBS antenna system and fly the same route. Repeat same flight. Average the two distance results and write it down.

3. Report back on the results.

Anything other than performing the above steps will skew test results. Don't fly at the beach for test one and then modify and fly in the neighborhood next.

Yes,

1. Fly it in stock configuration to the limit. Record altitude and heading....repeat same flight. Average the two distance results and write it down.

2. Install DBS antenna system and fly the same route. Repeat same flight. Average the two distance results and write it down.

3. Report back on the results.

Anything other than performing the above steps will skew test results. Don't fly at the beach for test one and then modify and fly in the neighborhood next.
You must be a scientist n6:D:D:D I love it:)

Got mine installed but now I am getting yellow flashes from the bird and loud DDD from the remote. Seems to have lost its pairing, but it won't let me re-pair. Have tried hooking back up factory antenna, no dice. I don't see anything off/loose/broken....not sure what I have done here! If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Last edited:
The pressure is on to install it! I'll try and get mine installed first thing in the morning.

Got mine installed about an hour ago. Initial impressions:

1 - At first even flying straight up it lost (or got super weak) signal after 600ft - thought something was wrong.

2 - Went in one direction at bit at about 600ft high and seemed WORSE than the stock antennas - again started to think I didn't connect something right.

3 - Then I figured it out! YOU CANT POINT DOWN OR EVEN LEVEL AS MUCH. You basically need to point the flat part straight up to maintain the best signal. A bit awkward & not sure if learning this new optimal orientation will be tiring or not (using an ipad mini). After I adjusted my positioning I get full bars and it seems to be working great as compared to what I remembered before around my house. I did a 1.1 mile run @ 600ft yesterday before the mod. After my batteries charge (probably tomorrow) I will compare. Again if you point straight down NOTHING. Level like "normal" so so to a bit worse than before, pointed up GREAT & immediate full bars.

4 - Need to see over time if its a problem pointing up like this. Might just need to get used to it. Also not sure how obstructions play into it. Going to more open space tomorrow to test.

- UPDATE -

Went to a more open area and got MUCH better results. Still had to point up but not as much. As you can see I went out 1.157 miles and was only down one bar. With that being said however just after I took this screen shot (say a few hundred more feet downrange) I lost signal completely and the bird went into auto-return mode. I stopped that and tried again but for whatever reason I hit some sort of sudden cliff no matter how I pointed it or spun myself around.

IMG_0002.PNG

Last edited:
Ok installed, just a tad over a mile and I lose everything whole screen looks like it does when you have the P3 powered off and the app running. Hit RTH and after a few yards it comes back. I'll try again tomorrow maybe but I'm not getting anywhere near even two miles.

Got mine installed but now I am getting yellow flashes from the bird and loud DDD from the remote. Seems to have lost its pairing, but it won't let me re-pair. Have tried hooking back up factory antenna, no dice. I don't see anything off/loose/broken....not sure what I have done here! If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I'm just shooting in the dark but maybe you didn't put the CON ribbon cable fully back in place?

as for my install? I took all four screws out from the rear shell and I chickened out after I looked at the CON ribbon cable assembly. I had a bad feeling that once I took it out I might be able to put it back in like it's suppose to be then I'd be really screwed.

So, no thanks. I'm just gonna sell the kit that I obviously didn't use and be happy with the stock setup.

Not the best booster, do not be so excited. I am waiting for something absolutely crazy. I will update

I'm just shooting in the dark but maybe you didn't put the CON ribbon cable fully back in place?

as for my install? I took all four screws out from the rear shell and I chickened out after I looked at the CON ribbon cable assembly. I had a bad feeling that once I took it out I might be able to put it back in like it's suppose to be then I'd be really screwed.

So, no thanks. I'm just gonna sell the kit that I obviously didn't use and be happy with the stock setup.

maybe. i've taken my mac apart so many times that i feel like i am pretty good with those ribbon cables, but i'll play with it again tomorrow and see if it isn't seated properly. very frustrating....

So I am just wrapping up my video on the DBS mods unbox, and 3DR solo test flights. I know most of you folks could give two sh*ts about the solo, but the results are good (not nearly as good as my p3p).
However, i use a P3P as a comparison in the video to demonstrate where each of them RTH's and just how far I got with the p3p stock.

Tomorrow, or this weekend I hope to install it on my P3P and really get after it. When the video is up, ill make a new post, as to not take away from this one.
thanks

Stock distance....still had full bars, but I chickened out. Tomorrow I will push the envelope.
Not making much sense to me to upgrade. Still awaiting empirical test data...anyone?

7804.jpg

Stock distance....still had full bars, but I chickened out. Tomorrow I will push the envelope.
Not making much sense to me to upgrade. Still awaiting empirical test data...anyone?

7804.jpg
Now that's far as hell on the stock setup but how will you know if the DBS helped you out any?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4