DBS Mods … itelite Phantom Menace ... mods and tips

Re: I'M BACK!!! - Hot air balloon - Video is up - page 4

DBS
Great mods and looking forward when they are released. But you have dodged a questions about the $$$ amount or an apporxement $$$. Need to start a saving account ,this it look exspensive. Nice work.

Helidad said:
DBS
Great mods and looking forward when they are released. But you have dodged a questions about the $$$ amount or an apporxement $$$. Need to start a saving account ,this it look exspensive. Nice work.

Not dodging... Just not really sure... I don't work there or anything so I'm not inside the loop... But here's what I have heard.

Definitely under a hundred... More in to $80 range... If I had to make an educated guess I would say $79.99 but I could be over... Could be a little under.

I will know more for sure this week.

capodrone81 said:
I have an immersion 600mw tx..

I experienced and recovered from a fly away this weekend at only distance of 168meters. Recovered using rth.

I just want to know what if anything I can doto seperatethe 2 antennas space is very limited on underside of phantom.. thoughts?

Don't you have one empty leg... One has compass.. Two have Rx antenna... Use the other one... Maybe?

Helidad said:
DBS

Now here is a hot air balloon drone film :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2WWNJ8 ... e=youtu.be

Stock bird and only fpvlr pinwheel on wifi extender nothing on control

Attachments

• ipad side.jpg
    ipad side.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 557
  • rsz_img_0682.jpg
    rsz_img_0682.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 530

Did you have their permission to be flying that close to their Balloon?

That seems like one of those videos that will end up on the news and used as an example of why Phantom pilots make people all paranoid... :|

:D
That was awesome! Remember how much more control we have! The balloon only had lift and wind. Looked like something planned.

Reactions: dirkclod

DBS said:
Did you have their permission to be flying that close to their Balloon?

That seems like one of those videos that will end up on the news and used as an example of why Phantom pilots make people all paranoid... :|

Do I know the balloon pilot yes. :D Did i I ask for permission no :shock: . I was not flying reckless or in front of there drift , nor was I swarming around them. It is not illegal to film anything below 400ft if not in banned area and not flying recklessly.
It is no different than filming a tall building or a grazing cow :cool:

Also notice for all the doomsday posters I fly right over high voltage line and no effect> I have posted video before of flying with the lines for a block between the wires and hovering inches above the insulators. No effect ,so stop with all the worry about flying over them out to a field or there near my house is it ok. YES you can fly near power lines that being said watch what you do one clip of a line and your toast :cry:

skyhighdiver said:

If your Phantom has a compass error glitch and flies into the side of a grazing cow... It doesn't fall out of the sky with a basket full of "innocent bystanders"

Calm down there bubba ... I just asked a question and commented on how that would seem to the public.
Nobody made reference to all that "reckless, swarming, illegal, doomsday stuff you went off on ... And who said anything about power lines?

You OK over there? Bad day? :lol:

DBS said:
skyhighdiver said:

If your Phantom has a compass error glitch and flies into the side of a grazing cow... It doesn't fall out of the sky with a basket full of "innocent bystanders"

Calm down there bubba ... I just asked a question and commented on how that would seem to the public.
Nobody made reference to all that "reckless, swarming, illegal, doomsday stuff you went off on ... And who said anything about power lines?

I wasn't meant to jump on you DBS Sorry if it seemed that way.
Just stating for those that always think the only place we can fly these is 10 miles out in a field and then just film the grass ;) If you view my utube channel you will see I have filmed many flights over and around people and places. I don't fly crazy I just don't feel like those that want to stay away from everything because it will crash.
I now have over 200 flights on my 2 visions and other than crashes during speed runs or one on a RTH They are rock solid. Could something go wrong yes but its a risk I feel is acceptable. If I didn't take reasonable risks I wouldn't skydive or scuba dive or for that matter drive on a highway

As for talking power lines I just mentioned it due to the fact the clip had a shot of low and close to power and many have asked time and time again if its ok. With some who have never even flown near them speculating and telling people your doomed if you do.

Having been a balloon recovery crew member for 8 yrs and made over 40 balloon jumps I can tell you my phantom is doing nothing to that balloon envelope. Even if it cut into it, it would only piss off the owner its not like a mylar kids balloon its ,ripstop nylon.Yes it will make a small cut but no one is in danger :roll: :D

So go fly, film fun things and enjoy you hobby :D :D :D :D

skyhighdiver said:
DBS said:
skyhighdiver said:

Just stating for those that always think the only place we can fly these is 10 miles out in a field and then just film the grass ;) If you view my utube channel you will see I have filmed many flights over and around people and places. I don't fly crazy I just don't feel like those that want to stay away from everything because it will crash.
I now have over 200 flights on my 2 visions and other than crashes during speed runs or one on a RTH They are rock solid. Could something go wrong yes but its a risk I feel is acceptable. If I didn't take reasonable risks I wouldn't skydive or scuba dive or for that matter drive on a highway

As for talking power lines I just mentioned it due to the fact the clip had a shot of low and close to power and many have asked time and time again if its ok. With some who have never even flown near them speculating and telling people your doomed if you do.

Having been a balloon recovery crew member for 8 yrs and made over 40 balloon jumps I can tell you my phantom is doing nothing to that balloon envelope. Even if it cut into it, it would only piss off the owner its not like a mylar kids balloon its ,ripstop nylon.Yes it will make a small cut but no one is in danger :roll: :D

So go fly, film fun things and enjoy you hobby :D :D :D :D

Check out http://www.modelaircraft.org/

If you purchase a membership, it comes with a $2.5 million liability policy on top of your homeowner's liability. And contrary to what people have said, you don't have to be flying in a "approved" field for it to be covered. It covers you wherever you fly as long as you're not flying for business purposes.

skyhighdiver said:

No worries bro... Just as long as we don't hafta fight about it I'm all good... There are two distinct groups of flyers and there's bound to be clashes of opinion. There's nothing wrong with the class of flyers who choose to follow all the guidelines as posted by the FAA and other organizations... It doesn't make anybody "paranoid" or "doomsday posters" ... Just safe is all... No biggie... It doesn't affect anybody else's enjoyment of the hobby... But just as an example...

skyhighdiver said:
Could something go wrong yes but its a risk I feel is acceptable. If I didn't take reasonable risks I wouldn't skydive or scuba

When you scuba or skydive it is a recreational activity that only risks injury to self... It is your decision
When you are flying over public places and property... You are risking injury to others... That is not your decision to make.

People out in public should be able to make the decision that "I don't want that **** flying over my kids heads" ... And that is their right ...

This is why agencies are coming up with guidelines that will be turned into rules that will be in forced on all of us sooner or later... Because some operators don't realize the limits of what is or is not "their decision" to make... It will be made for them.

Anyway I'm not trying to go on a preaching rant... It doesn't matter anyway... People gonna do what they gonna do and at least we can all get along in our little forum world and talk about what we love to do. I'm no angel either... I fly too high... I frequently fly out of LOS... And I violate multiple FCC IMEI limits for sure... So yeah... Pot calling the kettle black right?

Sentec Check out http://www.modelaircraft.org/

If you purchase a membership, it comes with a $2.5 million liability policy on top of your homeowner's liability. And contrary to what people have said, you don't have to be flying in a "approved" field for it to be covered. It covers you wherever you fly as long as you're not flying for business purposes.

Sorry Sentec I'm no attorney but I did sleep at a holiday inn express last night. :lol: And with very little research I found this

which would clearly void my policy on almost every flight I make, with the hand catch landings I do alone. But also the rest listed. Guess AMA will get no cash from me

Per Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code
Effective January 1, 2014
General Liability Coverage (Effective March 31)
•AMA Liability Protection applies to bodily injury or property damage caused by an AMA member. Any AMA
member who causes an accident resulting in an injury must report that accident immediately to AMA HQ.
•Applies to accidents arising from the modeling activities of model aircraft, rockets, cars and boats, in
accordance with the AMA NATIONAL Safety Code(s).
•The ‘per occurrence’ limit of coverage available by this policy is $2,500,000 involving bodily injury and/or
property damage. These limits are for claims occurring during the policy period. Coverage is provided only for
accidents arising from the model activities.

Flights that would void policy

B. RADIO CONTROL (RC)
1. All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.
6. With the exception of events flown under official AMA Competition Regulations, excluding takeoff and landing, no powered model may be flown outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for the pilot and the pilot's helper(s)

7. Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual

I guess Id have no coverage on this flight but it was a good one http://youtu.be/Il3e486L9n4?list=UUiCKT ... ATNSFv2PJA

skyhighdiver said:
Sentec Check out http://www.modelaircraft.org/

Sorry Sentec I'm no attorney but I did sleep at a holiday inn express last night. :lol: And with very little research I found this

which would clearly void my policy on almost every flight I make, with the hand catch landings I do alone. But also the rest listed. Guess AMA will get no cash from me

General Liability Coverage (Effective March 31)
•AMA Liability Protection applies to bodily injury or property damage caused by an AMA member. Any AMA
member who causes an accident resulting in an injury must report that accident immediately to AMA HQ.
•Applies to accidents arising from the modeling activities of model aircraft, rockets, cars and boats, in
accordance with the AMA NATIONAL Safety Code(s).
•The ‘per occurrence’ limit of coverage available by this policy is $2,500,000 involving bodily injury and/or
property damage. These limits are for claims occurring during the policy period. Coverage is provided only for
accidents arising from the model activities.

Flights that would void policy

B. RADIO CONTROL (RC)
1. All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.
6. With the exception of events flown under official AMA Competition Regulations, excluding takeoff and landing, no powered model may be flown outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for the pilot and the pilot's helper(s)

7. Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual

Ehhh I would still say it's worth the extra coverage. I mean how often are you flying closer than 25 feet of or directly above bystanders? I'm worried about loss of control and injuring someone (and pray they weren't directly below or within 25 feet haha!). Too many people out there who want to make a quick buck. To each there own though! Happy flying!

BTW, Awesome video!!! Hoping to take mine on the honeymoon to Cancun in October. It'll take some convincing with my future wife... Haha

Re: I'M BACK!!! and Modding my bird again.. page 6

WELL... there goes the warranty...

Back at it... Modding again for every little inch of longer range possible without spending hundreds of extra dollars and adding all kinds of crap hanging off my bird... this one cost less than 10 dollars and should increase my range by over 50%

Started out by unplugging the Vision plus antennas from the Wi-Fi module
xAVZrlq.jpg

And Yank them out of the bird...
iZMUUV1.jpg

Made a little bracket for the rear antenna and soldered up a 10 inch MMCX Pigtail to reach all the way back to the Wi-Fi module
bJgzYrZ.jpg

Slid the front antenna down between the body and the USB wiring...
g0Bj8th.jpg

Added some hot glue for strength...
0Pw1uJF.jpg

And there it is... antennas positioned properly for long runs....one under the battery for the long run out... And one up at the front of the battery compartment for the return trip...
Guv8BJP.jpg

Rear bracket is made from a cell phone clip from an old DJI transmitter... gave it a bit of angle so when I'm hauling *** out to the turn around point it is still facing me at the control area at a good angle.
MKDvWhZ.jpg

Hope to get out there and get this tested soon so I have an idea of the total distance paired up with the new antenna...
But the wind is messing with me right now... hopefully Sunday morning Dawn Patrol will work out well.
0xtLJpW.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUXPI8VTF4[/youtube]

Flytrex Core 2 Install... The Hard Way

Next Step in "voiding warranty" complete

Took the time while the bird was open to install the Flytrex Core 2 from the old bird.

I never did like the wiring harness that comes with the Flytrex... I understand it's geared toward easy install and the plug and play crowd but I always thought it's a lot of unnecessary wiring and also all that wiring is unshielded.

So my goal here was to get rid of all this excess crap...

TerGbZz.jpg

And also make a more finished looking mount for the Flytrex itself...
Bare PC board and Heat Shrink just doesn't cut it on a Vision Plus with all white, enclosed body panels.

I found this shell I had left over from a micro hex FPV camera... and whaddaya know... fits perfect

nk4mtfS.jpg

Then some stainless braid over the thin Flytrex wiring
PqsTPF4.jpg

Slap it all together and baam!!
Looks like it was made to order for the P2V+

eGfHBLY.jpg

Flip the bird upside down and use some Double Stick... Done... looks much better than an open PCB design...
npEarr8.jpg

Now look inside the battery compartment real good... the solder lugs on the bottom of the FC Board come right thru from the GPS plug... did some figuring on which wire goes where... cut down the braided cable to about 4 or 5 inches... and soldered direct.
2NmbyLu.jpg

Now I have significantly less wiring involved and what wiring I did use is shielded.

Micro SD Card access on the side of the case is convenient

NyQiTwe.jpg

And when all is said and done... I killed a lot of birds with this stone.
8fZfsHD.jpg

There you have it... my sickness... my OCD...

To take something that's specifically made to be easy and turn it into a pain in the ***... to make it mine. :ugeek:

Reactions: Skynet1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20