DBS Mod on my P3S, installed and tested. New Personal Best 5425' in high WiFi interference area

Reaction score
So i got my DBS installed yesterday. Went out and tested it today.
Did 2 test flights.
My previous best NorthEast direction was 2000 feet.
Today i got 3,700 feet, 1st flight.
Previous best North direction was 2,200 feet.
Today i got 3,400 feet, 2nd flight.
Overall nice improvement and I'm happy!
But in my 2nd flight my DJI GO app crashed.
When i got to 3,400 feet i lost video , my app screen turned gray, nothing new, happened many times before.
So i do a manual RTH as usual and wait for it to get closer to me so i can take over controls once i get the video back. But then my phone screen turns off. It usually happens when phone is inactive for 1 min.
Im thinking something aint right here. Next thing i hear my drone and its already back and getting ready to land.
But it never re-connected back with the app.
The app is not responding at all. So i manually cancel rth and land my drone myself, just to be on the safe side.
This has never happened to me before in any of my previous 35 flights.. The app has never crashed.
So question to you my fellow dronners - does it got something to do with the new DBS mod install?
Has it happened to anyone else? I know there is a first time for everything, so was today that first time?
Should i worry? it was somewhat of an unpleasant experience having one of my system fail mid flight...
Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!!
55701.jpg(attached pic - my flight ended at 6:21, thats when my app crashed)

You were flying through your neighborhood or open area?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just took my first test flight today with my standard and dbs mod and also went out ro around 3800 ft. I lost video and tx signal a few times it was strange. Gonna be a learning curb I quess. I could of went farther.

My app has acted strange at times but it has only since I updated my IOS to 9.2.1
I have never had issues my itelite causing anything till now .
The farther get out I do watch the signal bars to keep my aim right to get what I do.

Reactions: SZNJ732
Oh yea, forgot to mention, im flying in my neighborhood, with a lot of houses/interference..
So 3700 feet for me is great. compared to 1500-2000' before. I can probably get to 4000, gotta try again soon.. But regardless, having strong signal within 3,000' makes me feel a lot better.
But the app crash kinda scared me a bit. Since it happened for the first time after i installed the mod. never happened before...
i thought it had something to do with the install. it is a RC mod after all..

My app has acted strange at times but it has only since I updated my IOS to 9.2.1
The farther get out I do watch the signal bars to keep my aim right to get what I do.

since i'm still new to the mod game, i wasn't sure if the app crash was somehow related to the mod. i've spent a lot of time reading posts on this forum, and it looks like everybodys experience is different. some people have great results, others not so much.. i definitely was not expecting to get it right the first time, after reading stories on broken connectors , worse-than-stock results, etc...

since i'm still new to the mod game, i wasn't sure if the app crash was somehow related to the mod. i've spent a lot of time reading posts on this forum, and it looks like everybodys experience is different. some people have great results, others not so much.. i definitely was not expecting to get it right the first time, after reading stories on broken connectors , worse-than-stock results, etc...
Well I' been doing it from the start and never really had any issues with mine causing the app to crash . Normally it's a setting
in the device of some sort . Now this Go app is still new to me also but out of nearly 200 flights it has never happened till I updated the IOS. .
You can't believe everything ya read in here but take from all and see for yourself.
What I might get here you under the same condition might get better or worse . There is no set gain doing any of these mods. ..might not have said that right but maybe ya get what I'm trying to say .
Back to the app crashing. I've never had that to happen to me because of any antenna mods I have done and have tried lots :)

Hmm.. so now that im thinking, i did do an update on my IOS about 2 weeks ago.. and this is my second or third flight after the iOS update.
I bet something got messed up. I did a quick search on google , and a few people are having WiFi connection problems after the update!
Like wtf, there is always something. There is probably something in the GOapp that is not liking the new update. I gotta keep an eye on it.
Maybe reinstalling the GO app would help. But that could be another headache..:mad:
www.gottabemobile.com/2016/02/19/4-reasons-not-to-install-ios-9-2-1-3-reasons-you-should/?gbmsl=7

Reactions: dirkclod
Hmm.. so now that im thinking, i did do an update on my IOS about 2 weeks ago.. and this is my second or third flight after the iOS update.
I bet something got messed up. I did a quick search on google , and a few people are having WiFi connection problems after the update!
Like wtf, there is always something. There is probably something in the GOapp that is not liking the new update. I gotta keep an eye on it.
Maybe reinstalling the GO app would help. But that could be another headache..:mad:
www.gottabemobile.com/2016/02/19/4-reasons-not-to-install-ios-9-2-1-3-reasons-you-should/?gbmsl=7
Thanks for that link...me be trying to go back now !

Added / Nope..that didn't work :(

Last edited:
test #2 with my new DBS mod went great today I never lost signal at all and had full bars all the way. went out just over 5,000 ft before a got chicken **** and went home. Could of gone who knows how far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-22-16-11-12.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-22-16-11-12.png
    926.5 KB · Views: 435
Good flight and there you would get twice that I would think with no issue's :)
Better leave the chicken at home though ;)

Side question about the DBS mod on the standard, does it have antennas built into it for 2.4 GHz as well as 5.8 GHz or is it only one?

I'm confused by this picture on the link which seems to show the 5.8 GHz stock antenna still attached.

DBS STANDARD

I thought it cost more than that. Yes it's three cables that connects to the antenna. The cables are not shown but they are included in the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Side question about the DBS mod on the standard, does it have antennas built into it for 2.4 GHz as well as 5.8 GHz or is it only one?

I'm confused by this picture on the link which seems to show the 5.8 GHz stock antenna still attached.

DBS STANDARD

This is the one i got:
Phantom 3 Standard with quick mount is in stock and shipping NOW – DBS Mods
You can keep the stock antenna attached after installing the mod, or take it out, your choice. I took mine out, but kept the stock wifi antenna inside the remote, just in case if i need to go back to stock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues