DBS Mod, I think I broke my remote :-(

Is it possible I have the outputs flipped on the DBS mod antenna? Does it even matter?

It doesn't matter if you flip dbs antenna connectors.
The small coaxial connector on the RC board are in place correctly and firmly?

It doesn't matter if you flip dbs antenna connectors.
The small coaxial connector on the RC board are in place correctly and firmly?

They look correct in the photos right? I mean they are placed correctly in my opinion. The only part that I'd like to see go in tighter is the ribbon on the motherboard part. It's in super tight on the con. All the pins are making contact though. I'm baffled. Must be that ribbon cable then.

I'll go by a cheepo camera with zoom tomorrow so I can actually inspect the cable properly.

They look correct in the photos right? I mean they are placed correctly in my opinion. The only part that I'd like to see go in tighter is the ribbon on the motherboard part. It's in super tight on the con. All the pins are making contact though. I'm baffled. Must be that ribbon cable then.

I'll go by a cheepo camera with zoom tomorrow so I can actually inspect the cable properly.

It's difficult to help you in this case .. I'm sorry. As a side check, you can inspect all the connector on the boards, to be sure they are not moved or detached ....
Good idea the cheepo camera ... It's the only way to inspect this micromicro damned ribbons ..

Check the two small ribbon cables that connect on the left side of the board. Under the one that connects to number 2 is one that connects to number 4. If they both are in ok, check to see that neither were cut or damaged when you removed white goop that attached the antenna wire (and the ribbons) that looped around that side. I see that the post on the plastic board for the thumb wheel is broken on that side, so I'm taking it you removed it? Look where the ribbon widens and attaches underneath and make sure it's not damaged also.

I've worked around radio transmitters all of my life (but am not an engineer), any transmitter that is trying to transmit without an antenna has "reflective" power,,the power doesn't have anywhere to go, and goes back into the equipment. If its a 100KW FM transmitter, or several thousand watt AM transmitter, it will immediately do damage, but transmitter that is a few watts won't do damage (generally) by being turned on a short period of time. ..DON'T DO IT TO TRY IT, but in most cases it won't hurt anything for a short period

Our engineers had dummy loads they hooked up if we wanted to test a transmitter away from the antenna (to see where a problem might be),,but again, we were dealing with thousands of watts,,the reflective power on one of these transmitters is very, very low
Exactly.I am radio and tv transmitters engineer and i can tell you this is absolutely true.For safety reasons i put those rp-sma dummy loads to my P3P and to my P2 with lightbridge to protect the rf boards if accidentally power on without the antennas: Dummy Load RP.SMA 1W watt male jack RF coaxial Termination loads DC- 2.5GHz 50Ω

Be sure that you have plugged in ALL or ANY connectors which may have come out during disassembly.. I accidentally unplugged my camera controller during the install and then noticed that the antenna connectors were a bit easy to move. I dabbed them each with clear 100% Silicon to avoid future disconnects..........Best of luck !

Be sure that you have plugged in ALL or ANY connectors which may have come out during disassembly.. I accidentally unplugged my camera controller during the install and then noticed that the antenna connectors were a bit easy to move. I dabbed them each with clear 100% Silicon to avoid future disconnects..........Best of luck !

Thanks for the tips. Pretty sure everything is connected. My new controller will arrive saturday. I'll take the ribbon out of it and test immediately :)

Reactions: Erik Somoroff
In the video it's tough to see if you just pop up the ribbon or remove the white piece first

Last edited:
I have come a cropper from this, lifting the white tab is bulls hit. Don't pull anything white, it iso a black swinging bar from the front that flips up.

You can see it more clearly on the side tabs

I think I have an extra con board ribbon cable...

Where did you get the con board ribbon cable, I need one. I am having the same issue as the guy who started this thread, when controller is turned on red light flashes and beeps continuously. The pins on that ribbon cable are so thin and tiny. They look to be gold plated, mine appears as some of the plating has flaked off and the connection is not making. I was very careful and have the right tools, but looks like this cable is damaged and I need another.

Thanks!
Paul
[email protected]

It looks like the antenna location is backwards, left antenna goes to the far right and right goes to the left.
but someone said here it doesn't matter

I left the original antenna wires inside my RC when I did my mod and bought these connectors to use on short flights around my house. When I go for distance, I attach my DBS Mod and fly. I leave my original antennas connected all the time in case I accidentally tour on my RC, this has made life simpler for me. I emailed DBS and this is the like they sent me to reconnect my original antennas to my DBS Mod post.
1pce Adapter RP.SMA male jack to MMCX female jack RF connector straight M/F

Not pretty, but it works for me.
DSCN0328.JPG

or you ccould have saved all that trouble and made it look sharp and clean, by just buying aftermarket 5-7" antenna's

I thought about that but would have to remove them to put back in my case, this way was easier and cheaper.

When I was installing my DBS Mod, I put tape over the power switch as a reminder NOT to turn it on without connecting the antenna. I also tape it when I remove the antenna to pack it so my large, clumsy thumbs don't accidentally turn it on.

Interestingly, right after I installed it and connected the antennas, I took the tape off and turned it on. It too started that incessant beeping. A quick look revealed my left stick was in the locked-down position. I pushed it to center and the beeping stopped. No problems since then.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie