DBS Mod, I think I broke my remote :-(

Reaction score
So I received the awesome DBS Antenna Mod today! I'm so excited. I just finished putting it together. When I power on the controller it starts blinking a single red LED with a loud beep-beep till the end of time. The controller is fully charged.

I opened back up where the con board sits and it looks like I might have damaged the very tiny ribbon cable. Is this most likely my problem or might it be something else simple?

Any suggestions? Do I need a new cable? Where can I get one? Does this cable come in the $99 HDMI kit? Not sure if I should start crying or not…

IMG_1826.JPG

That cable does not come as a part of the HDMI upgrade board, you use the one already installed in the remote controller.

I can only see two traces in that area and while the copper is exposed, it looks like the trace is still intact. Did you power up the remote without the antenna attached? As that will damage the remote.

Reactions: Dome
If you have turned on the remote control without connecting the antenna, you definitely burned the transmitter.

Can you share a pic of the reverse side of the con ribbon cable so we can see the gold connectors?Also when I installed my dbs i accidentally pulled one of the tiny ribbon cables out of its connector on the main rc board which was no biggy I just pushed it back into place, just saying you might have done the same take the back off again and check all those tiny ribbon cables & corresponding connectors.

I was thinking the same thing....if you turned on your remote without thr antenna installed you have definately fried the transmitter.

Me thinks thou must be needin' a new transmit'ah!
That one be a 'goner!:eek:

I just sent mine for dbs mod and was thinking ablut storing it without the antenna (to fit my bag). I can see myself forgetting to attach the antenna and turning it on for a quick test or recharge, now I have to be scared ill fry my rc.... just great. But better do it informed, uh? :confused:

It's probably like dropping the hairdryer into the bathtub. Not pretty! :eek:

I just sent mine for dbs mod and was thinking ablut storing it without the antenna (to fit my bag). I can see myself forgetting to attach the antenna and turning it on for a quick test or recharge, now I have to be scared ill fry my rc.... just great. But better do it informed, uh? :confused:

Put a sticker on your RC with red writing lol

The good news (if the remote is actually broken) is the prices of P3 remotes has dropped pretty sharply. I've seen some on ebay go for well under $200. I bet you you could still sell your broken remote for descent money.

The good news (if the remote is actually broken) is the prices of P3 remotes has dropped pretty sharply. I've seen some on ebay go for well under $200. I bet you you could still sell your broken remote for descent money.
Must be from all the orphans, after "infant motality" flying!;)

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Holly s... is this true? It will burn the RC immediately without the antenna?
This seems sort of hard to believe. I've powered walkie talkies, WiFi routers and other electronic stuff without their antennas and never blew anything out. Now if you left these things without antennas connected for an extended period of time, I think you could fry something.

Not saying this is the case with the DJI RC but hard to believe still.

This seems sort of hard to believe. I've powered walkie talkies, WiFi routers and other electronic stuff without their antennas and never blew anything out. Now if you left these things without antennas connected for an extended period of time, I think you could fry something.

Not saying this is the case with the DJI RC but hard to believe still.
I'm still not volunteering up mine to test it!:eek:
Any brave souls out there?:D

I agree with JoeyJoe that it is not a certainty until tested.

Yes, in some cases and especially in older or higher power equipment but not always.

when i instaled my DBS antenna while i was putting it back together i turned the controler on by misteake and quickly turned it off.
the antenna was not attached.
controler has been working fine sense.
no problems noted.

Reactions: mirrorimage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic